Page 95 of 96 FirstFirst ... 458593949596 LastLast

Thread: Citroen WRT

Liked 522 Times in 285 Posts
    At beginning of the year they had 2 big issues:

- Drivers (one is not reliable, other is not top fast (yet) and third is neither)
    - Car

Now they maybe improved the car a bit, though it still seems to struggle a bit on wet gravel, but the driver situation is back to where they started.

Btw. I really recommend reading that Australia/season review:

I wonder if Matton believes this or everything is just PR. A few months ago I'd say these releases are PR only, but now I am getting the scary thought that he might actually believe he is doing well. ..... or some of his bosses do since he has not been fired yet.
    Last edited by mknight; 21st November 2017 at 23:41.

Liked 229 Times in 134 Posts
    In many other companies Matton would already have been history.

3. Likes: AndyRAC (22nd November 2017),EightGear (22nd November 2017),er88 (22nd November 2017),juhoman (24th November 2017),sonnybobiche (22nd November 2017)
    Liked 1,258 Times in 603 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by WUff1 View Post
    In many other companies Matton would already have been history.
    No doubt Matton is looking as an erratic leader, but from the outside it’s not easy to understand who’s really in charge. Matton is Citroen Racing manager but there’s also a PSA motorsport manager (J.M. Finot) coordinating all group brands motorsport activities; above them, Citroen execs and, at the top, PSA board members. Somehow Al Qassimi also has a say, because Abu Dhabi is more than a sponsor, they’re a partner in Citroen WRC campaign.

In the last press release Matton subtly mentioned that this year wins target was settled by “Citroen senior management”. From the start, he's also looking a bit lost with Loeb reappearance, being unable to give details about it; we can suspect bringing Loeb at the moment Ogier talks were starting wasn’t his idea. The only positive aspect in this big mess seems to be the new tech director choice; under Christophe Besse orientation the car is improving and we can hope they’ll totally fix it before MC. Fingers crossed!
    Rally addict since 1982

5. Likes: WUff1 (22nd November 2017)
    M-Sport WRC Champions '17 Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Liked 3,512 Times in 1,896 Posts
    It was weird when Meeke was told to retire the car in Australia, he was clearly angry and when asked who made the decision he said 'I dont know...'

They are not going to win anything in such disarray.
    The Incurable Enthusiast

Liked 87 Times in 48 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    It was weird when Meeke was told to retire the car in Australia, he was clearly angry and when asked who made the decision he said 'I dont know...'

They are not going to win anything in such disarray.
    Kind of get what you're saying, but they did win twice this year... I think there is a lot more to this. See Meeke's demeanour at the WRC awards? - he did not look like a happy man! I'm certain there will be an announcement, a la VW, saying global strain on the PSA group's finances means no more WRC.

M-Sport WRC Champions '17 Fast Eddie WRC's Avatar
    Liked 3,512 Times in 1,896 Posts
    Matton's admitted they couldn't match the offers Ogier had received elsewhere. Looks like Citroen are not going to be around WRC long-term if their budget is so tight.

Liked 522 Times in 285 Posts
    Could also mean that Ford comes with big money to secure Ogier.

10. Likes: AnttiL (23rd November 2017)
    Liked 1,075 Times in 516 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    I wonder if Matton believes this or everything is just PR.
    It's PR. You cannot write a press release with just negative text on it.

Liked 102 Times in 59 Posts
    Ogier priced himself out of Citroen ,
    Hydaundi and Toyota. He undoubtly wants no1 status, which could conflict the teams current driver line up. Redbull doesnt fit with Citroen. If he is talking about retirement already he not going to be about for long term contract. if toyota or hydundai hire him, and he wins the championship... ogier won the title.. not the manufacturer.. so could be considered a negitive for manufacturer. He won the chamionship on consistency, not outright speed. You can only do that for so long, before the others get their act together. He is not the quickest guy in the championship anymore.. but top 3. he has a wife and child, and has already indicated wife wants him to stop. he has about 20m in the bank. so all in all, this is why he is left with ford or retirement.
    amen.
    Quote Originally Posted by mknight View Post
    Could also mean that Ford comes with big money to secure Ogier.

Liked 49 Times in 34 Posts
    Looks like Hyundai, Toyota and maybe Citroen are playing their "smart" game.. I mean they don't really want him then he have no other options than M-Sport. We all know that they will not be competitive for so long (if Ford don't back them up). Then they have "smart" way of equally chances for titles for a lot less money.. Let's face it, he is most expensive in the market... And like wrc2017 said he is not fast anymore (maybe he still is), but he win in the smartest way and that's only thing that is important at the end. Nobody remembers second or third places.. Maybe other teams want to prove that they have the quickest cars and want to win with that.. I don't know

That's my theory.