Thread: Citroen WRT

Threaded View

Liked 3,795 Times in 1,982 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    I wonder what they were thinking in Citroën before. For two years we've kept discussing the fact that their driver line-up is weak but they didn't seem to care to get a proper top driver..

This is the main point here.

Imo the main error in Citroen team leadership was after Germany last year. Failing to get another driver (Ogier and Mikkelsen were in talks then) and keeping Meeke as the only driver doing all rounds in 2018.
    By that time it was 100% clear he won't ever get reliable + fast at the same time.

I guess for 2017 they hoped he would keep 2016 motivation and handle the pressure while one of the two young guys will get to the top.
    But he couldn't handle the combination of car issues and pressure to perform. You can argue that Breen turned out well, but he is still not on the very top level.

This brings us back to the start of my post, they did need a different top accomplished driver. One of these: Ogier Neuville, Tanak, Latvala, Mikkelsen... or even Sordo to bring some consistency to the team. Matton said as much after Germany 2017, but looks like Citroen leadership axed it.
    Last edited by mknight; 24th May 2018 at 21:11.