Page 132 of 227 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182 ... LastLast
Results 1,311 to 1,320 of 2266

Thread: Citroen WRT

Liked 3,786 Times in 1,977 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek View Post
    I wonder what they were thinking in Citroën before. For two years we've kept discussing the fact that their driver line-up is weak but they didn't seem to care to get a proper top driver..

This is the main point here.

Imo the main error in Citroen team leadership was after Germany last year. Failing to get another driver (Ogier and Mikkelsen were in talks then) and keeping Meeke as the only driver doing all rounds in 2018.
    By that time it was 100% clear he won't ever get reliable + fast at the same time.

I guess for 2017 they hoped he would keep 2016 motivation and handle the pressure while one of the two young guys will get to the top.
    But he couldn't handle the combination of car issues and pressure to perform. You can argue that Breen turned out well, but he is still not on the very top level.

This brings us back to the start of my post, they did need a different top accomplished driver. One of these: Ogier Neuville, Tanak, Latvala, Mikkelsen... or even Sordo to bring some consistency to the team. Matton said as much after Germany 2017, but looks like Citroen leadership axed it.
    Last edited by mknight; 24th May 2018 at 22:11.

Liked 9,308 Times in 4,936 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KKS View Post
    Paddons off at Monte`17 very damage Hyundai brand?
    Though it was a very bad incident, there weren't any pictures. These days with social media its pictures that go around the world. Pictures like...

The fact the driver was ok and saved by the car isnt seen, it just looks like 'Citroen's crash and then look like this ...'
    #M-SPORTER

3. Likes: pantealex (25th May 2018)
    Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Sad for Meeke and all spectators. Everything points to an exit from Citroën at the end of the season, which would be a shame...

Liked 2,937 Times in 1,338 Posts
    Like some of you already said, it’s not the decision but the timing of it that surprises. Obviously sorry for Meeke and Nagle, but mostly hoping this will not mean the end of Citroen WRC involvement after Rally Australia.

The car has been fixed and if Breen manages to win a couple of events this season he can start ’19 as an underdog title contender. Getting a young and fast 2nd driver (Suninen or Tidemand) alongside a reliable experienced guy (Ostberg or Haninen) would be a fantastic full scale Citroen WRC effort next season. Time will tell if I’m just dreaming awake.

Meanwhile, fingers crossed for the Citroen WRC team.

PS: get ready; Brit rally journos crusade against the French manu will be resumed in a few hours…
    Rally addict since 1982

6. Likes: danon (24th May 2018),mknight (24th May 2018),pantealex (25th May 2018),the sniper (25th May 2018),TWRC (25th May 2018)
    Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AnttiL View Post
    Would it have been better for Meeke in the end if they had made this decision already 11 months ago, after Sardegna 2017?
    I think it's smart to look at this situation from all sides.
    Sucks for Meeke? Yes!
    Sucks for Meeke fans? Yes!
    Sucks for Citroen also yes.

Should they keep giving Meeke "a second chance" after so many crashes? No.
    Should the headline mention he crashed too many times? No. Does that change the outcome? No.
    Should we all just sit back and watch this since we're just fans with little to none value? Fu@k Yes!

Liked 84 Times in 30 Posts
    Odd timing for this - yes, Meeke has caused a lot of damage, but he's Citroen's only real hope of winning rallies. Why do this now when you have no one who can come in and challenge for victories? It does feel like a damage limitation exercise as they limp towards an end-of-season exit, and it's one less exciting driver in the line up which is a shame for those of us watching. I wonder if Malcolm might find the money to put him in a Fiesta for a couple of events later in the season?

9. Likes: KKS (25th May 2018)
    Liked 784 Times in 390 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rally Power View Post
    Like some of you already said, it’s not the decision but the timing of it that surprises. Obviously sorry for Meeke and Nagle, but mostly hoping this will not mean the end of Citroen WRC involvement after Rally Australia.

The car has been fixed and if Breen manages to win a couple of events this season he can start ’19 as an underdog title contender. Getting a young and fast 2nd driver (Suninen or Tidemand) alongside a reliable experienced guy (Ostberg or Haninen) would be a fantastic full scale Citroen WRC effort next season. Time will tell if I’m just dreaming awake.

PS: get ready; Brit rally journos crusade against the French manu will be resumed in a few hours…
    Yes, the journos are part of the problem here too. I hope Citroen stays in the WRC forever. Okay if the make a switch to Peugeot that would be fine too, but losing a manu never helps the sport. Subie and Mitsu leaving in the early days was no good and VW recent departure was crap also.

Lets hope Meeke finds a ride and Citroen stays.

The only other request I have is 4 cars for Toyota in Finland with Juho at the wheel.

11. Likes: pantealex (25th May 2018),Rally Power (25th May 2018)
    Liked 1,115 Times in 596 Posts
    did someone actually believed meeke would ever get reliable? he was already known for his crash or win approach when i first saw him in ypres 2009. although he won that rally, i remember him taking a wheel off on the shakedown already.

Liked 832 Times in 380 Posts

I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Citroen being in WRC as works team in 2019... Just like I don't see Breen winning an event without a lucky combination of road position/weather/retirements. They'd really need a top driver.

Good one

Liked 643 Times in 285 Posts
    ... PS: get ready; Brit rally journos crusade against the French manu will be resumed in a few hours…

15. Likes: pantealex (25th May 2018)