Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Helmut Marko

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    And it must be said that, of almost everyone on the grid, Webber is probably just about the least in need (except maybe for Raikkonen) of pampering.
    Well, there is a theory that Marko's words would motivate rather than distract Webber. So based on that we can clearly see, where Marko is coming from. Those guys in RBR know each other personally and they know, how to influence each other. Who are we to comment on that?

Well, we know so little about Tilke that calling him an idiot is patently ridiculous. Ecclestone is more complex — I genuinely believe there are psychological 'issues' at play somewhere in his personality.
    Ecclestone has achieved so much in his life and keeps doing it that I get the feeling any kind of comments in the media is him just playing it knowingly smart. Yes, even the stupid comments are acting. Because he knows, what it takes to get media attention. And this is all, what F1 needs. Surely he is very money-orientated in his decisions, but I think he is very clever in his dealings and I don't think any alleged "issues" are affecting him in his business.

I wonder how he would have responded in his driving career to having disparaging comments made in the media about his abilities by his team bosses?
    Well, I haven't got a clue about how Marko's own racing career felt back in the day over 40 years ago. And which kind of discussions or comments did he have with his team bosses at the time. And how it has influenced him.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Well, there is a theory that Marko's words would motivate rather than distract Webber. So based on that we can clearly see, where Marko is coming from. Those guys in RBR know each other personally and they know, how to influence each other. Who are we to comment on that?
    Well, opinions can be offered, surely? After all, you're commenting on it, just in a different way (one with which I agree, incidentally.)

Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Ecclestone has achieved so much in his life and keeps doing it that I get the feeling any kind of comments in the media is him just playing it knowingly smart. Yes, even the stupid comments are acting. Because he knows, what it takes to get media attention. And this is all, what F1 needs. Surely he is very money-orientated in his decisions, but I think he is very clever in his dealings and I don't think any alleged "issues" are affecting him in his business.
    I was thinking especially about comments made by Derek Warwick, who of course worked for him at Brabham. He said Ecclestone was so enraged by seeing the cord twisted on a telephone on the wall in the factory that he ripped it out of the wall and threw it on the floor. Just one example, but very indicative, I feel — not the actions of someone of, shall we say, stable mind. Has his personality affected him in business? Well, it may still do.

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Well, opinions can be offered, surely? After all, you're commenting on it, just in a different way (one with which I agree, incidentally.)

I was thinking especially about comments made by Derek Warwick, who of course worked for him at Brabham. He said Ecclestone was so enraged by seeing the cord twisted on a telephone on the wall in the factory that he ripped it out of the wall and threw it on the floor. Just one example, but very indicative, I feel — not the actions of someone of, shall we say, stable mind. Has his personality affected him in business? Well, it may still do.
    Yes, we can offer opinions. Perhaps expressed myself a bit badly. There is no problem with our opinions as long as we understand the limitations of them - and how close to reality/insight we can really get.

Interesting comments from Warwick. Don't really know, but whatever it is, it doesn't seem to affect Bernie's sense of business in a negative way.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Marko has analytical and far too honest of his assessment of Webber to the point of bias and clearly dislikes Webbers attitude towards team orders and its implementation.

A team generally defends their drivers publicly on the record. Marko clearly does not agree with Webber's contract extension and has had enough.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Sir Stirling Moss is said to be difficult to dealbwith in private.

He once received a wrongly sent fax and replied with an abusive tirade over the phone.

And then there was Tom Walkinshaw who could be psychotic if you got the wrong side of him.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Given RBR's propensity to favour SV (taking the wing from the front of his car is just one example), I personally understand MW's attitude to team orders. I agree with some things noted above, though. MW is more likely to be motivated by an arrogant, trash-talking has been than not, but it shouldn't necessarily come from your own team principal.

Or, maybe Marko understands this and is doing his best to motivate his driver? And maybe I should put the bong down...B-)

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFamousEccles
    Given RBR's propensity to favour SV (taking the wing from the front of his car is just one example), I personally understand MW's attitude to team orders. I agree with some things noted above, though. MW is more likely to be motivated by an arrogant, trash-talking has been than not, but it shouldn't necessarily come from your own team principal.
    Having a #1 and #2 driver isn't exactly new. Giving up your new front wing is nothing compared to, lets say, taking a deliberate penalty to promote your team mate up the grid. When Mark lost the WDC in 2010 despite being in the best position of all contenders, it became clear that he bought the tough abo for #2 status. Fact is, Mark is the lousiest team player in F1. If he's fed up with being #2 to Vettel, he's free to leave, but he doesn't. Stabbing the team in the back, like he did in Brazil with his dumb-arse moves on Vettel makes me wonder what in the name of all that's holy made RBR resign him.
    I don't think very highly of Marko, but his criticism of Mark's antics is about the only thing I can agree with.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Not screwing your team and being a top driver helps.
    And Alonso isn't a "top driver"?
    There are few would would disagree that he is the best driver on the grid.

Jesus, just think what would have happened if Senna/Prost were in his position...

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_bytedisaster
    When Mark lost the WDC in 2010 despite being in the best position of all contenders, it became clear that he bought the tough abo for #2 status. Fact is, Mark is the lousiest team player in F1. If he's fed up with being #2 to Vettel, he's free to leave, but he doesn't.
    Thank you!
    When you know you're a #2, why stay?
    Be a man and GTFO with some dignity.

Same goes for Massa.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz

Be a man and GTFO with some dignity.

Same goes for Massa.

Hard words, from some guy on the internet. Do you live by this creed?

I never fail to be wryly amused by comments like this, but it does also indicate the level of public discourse is plummeting.

Say what you will, I guess. But if you are a driver capable of winning races and fancies their chances at a championship should things run their way, it is not unreasonable to expect support from the people who have employed you to attempt just that.

As for Brazil, a sense of entitlement doesn't guarantee safe passage, dj. I can't for the life of me imagine SV doing any different to MW should the circumstances have been reversed.