Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Helmut Marko

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    If Alonso wasn't double WDC would he be an F1 driver by now let alone Ferrari?
    If he wasn't a double world champion then he wouldn't be the driver he is. Same goes for any WDC out there

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Did I need to be so obvious as to refer to his time at McLaren? setting up a rogue intra-team based on stolen documents, who then demanded #1 status by any means via blackmailling his own employer?

Would he still be an F1 driver by now if wasn't double WDC cf. Nelson Piquet Jr/2008 Singapore GP crash scandal and now racing in low tier NASCAR.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    Basically everything he said in that interview is bull****, perhaps apart from the part about Webber not being able to sustain a championship challenge once the heat is on. It does appear to be that way.
    - while a fair call, I still feel it to be a harsh one as he has the skills and is as fast as any driver out there - but for a change in fortune and some reliable parts, he was in with a strong chance 2010. 2012 was better than 2011 and maybe karma might come and cup SV's nuts for a while and 2013 might be really interesting...

Yes, sadly, there is probably much truth in that bit. Even then, is it something that should be said in public, even though a lot of people know it to be the case?
    - good grief, he's not dying of some horrid disease. Marko is a rude turd, that's what a lot of people know to be the case. No one is speaking of Alonso in quite so hushed terms - it's a rare driver indeed who could pull another championship out of the hat, 6 years since his last one. Not impossible, but rare.

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    If Alonso wasn't double WDC would he be an F1 driver by now let alone Ferrari?
    Yet Kimi got how much for going to Ferrari while never having won a championship?

Did I need to be so obvious as to refer to his time at McLaren? setting up a rogue intra-team based on stolen documents, who then demanded #1 status by any means via blackmailling his own employer?
    Thats what happens when your father is Flavio Briatore...

Would he still be an F1 driver by now if wasn't double WDC cf. Nelson Piquet Jr/2008 Singapore GP crash scandal and now racing in low tier NASCAR.
    Jr lost his drive because he was a terrible driver who did not belong in F1 in the first place.
    No one would have hired him regardless of crashgate. Which is why he spilled the beans...

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Marko is bored at the moment, which is why he has to come up with this crap.
    The crap he is saying about Webber, the reprimand etc. are just ruining the image of Red Bull more than anything else.

Why is Mateschitz putting up with this crap? Because Marko is Austrian?
    Is Marko a Luca/Flavio/Max wannabe?

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFamousEccles
    - while a fair call, I still feel it to be a harsh one as he has the skills and is as fast as any driver out there - but for a change in fortune and some reliable parts, he was in with a strong chance 2010. 2012 was better than 2011 and maybe karma might come and cup SV's nuts for a while and 2013 might be really interesting...
    RBR developed their car to suit Seb. No, let me re-phrase that: Webber isn't comfortable with a car that's twitchy at corner entry that has been part and parcel of EBD trickery of recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by Koz
    Yet Kimi got how much for going to Ferrari while never having won a championship?
    Not screwing your team and being a top driver helps.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    Mind games. He is trying to psychologically out maneuvre the opposition by making Vettel out to be a guy he is not. .
    Very poor mind games IMO. It seems unlikely his comments are going to affect Ferrari or Alonso and at any rate I'd have thought that what Marko said is actually more true of Vettel. All he has done is made himself look stupid.

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Knight
    I have honestly found Alonso to be one of the least political drivers of the season and he stayed pretty much out of all mind games. Politics come part and parcel with being a Ferrari driver but I felt he conducted himself admirably this season. I couldn't say the same about Vettel.
    Then you must have seen a completely different season than the rest of us. There is no other mind-game-playing driver even in Alonso's class. He's the most contemptable bitch on the grid. Make no mistake, he's up there with the best drivers in history, when it comes to his driving and together with Lewis (in his 2012 incarnation) probably the best on the grid at this time, but he's also the master of dirty tricks, low-blows and trash talk.
    What with his repeated insinuation that not Vettel wins the championships, but Adrian Newey. While undoubtedly Vettel hat the better car in the second half of the season, Mark pretty much proved that a newey car doesn not result in an instant win. Don't even get me started on Alonso's junk-tweets in the aftermath of the Brazil GP (yellow-flag-gate) or declaring himself one of the greatest during Ferrari's season-end bash.
    Calling Alonso the least political driver is an utter joke. Nobody plays more mind-games than him.

Well, Marko... That guy's so ridiculous, I don't even listen to his crap.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts
    Helmut Marko's way of speaking may not be particularly "light", but he is hardly an idiot, considering his role and influence in RBR and which kind of life challenges he has himself met in the past (like the accident in 1972, which blinded his eye). So he is used to being mentally tough to accomplish something in life. Pampering someone isn't his way of management.

I see, where he is coming from with his comments. Another matter is if they can be expressed so bluntly or some alternative aspects have to be considered as well when evaluating the situations. Depends on perspective. But it really would be useful if people were open-minded and tried to discuss about things and understand people. Because calling someone an "idiot" is hardly an insight. Same with Tilke, Ecclestone, etc influencial people in F1, who people are fond of calling names.

For example regarding Mark Webber I personally tend more towards the explanation of his ability to simply adapt to different cars/setups, which make his form fluctuate. Rather than just pressure. Then again Helmut himself has been a sportsman, while I haven't, so he must have some knowledge about the matter.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jens
    Helmut Marko's way of speaking may not be particularly "light", but he is hardly an idiot, considering his role and influence in RBR and which kind of life challenges he has himself met in the past (like the accident in 1972, which blinded his eye). So he is used to being mentally tough to accomplish something in life. Pampering someone isn't his way of management.
    And it must be said that, of almost everyone on the grid, Webber is probably just about the least in need (except maybe for Raikkonen) of pampering.

I see, where he is coming from with his comments. Another matter is if they can be expressed so bluntly or some alternative aspects have to be considered as well when evaluating the situations. Depends on perspective. But it really would be useful if people were open-minded and tried to discuss about things and understand people. Because calling someone an "idiot" is hardly an insight. Same with Tilke, Ecclestone, etc influencial people in F1, who people are fond of calling names.
    Well, we know so little about Tilke that calling him an idiot is patently ridiculous. Ecclestone is more complex — I genuinely believe there are psychological 'issues' at play somewhere in his personality.

For example regarding Mark Webber I personally tend more towards the explanation of his ability to simply adapt to different cars/setups, which make his form fluctuate. Rather than just pressure. Then again Helmut himself has been a sportsman, while I haven't, so he must have some knowledge about the matter.
    I wonder how he would have responded in his driving career to having disparaging comments made in the media about his abilities by his team bosses?