Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    I think this is potentially McLaren's weakest lineup since before Lauda in the 1980s. I'd love to see what they do.
    How Rosberg will perform against Hamilton is the biggest question for me.
    Will Massa's keep improving? How will Alonso handle it?

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz
    I think this is potentially McLaren's weakest lineup since before Lauda in the 1980s. I'd love to see what they do.
    Perhaps. At the same time, McLaren was showing signs of having the fastest car throughout 2012. If they deliver a dominant car that doesn't break, Button and Perez could be big players in the 2013 championship.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Can't say I'm too excited about this season. I'm more excited about the next with radical changes.

Only thing the appetite has come close to being whetted is Lewis getting the maximum from the MGP/shades of 2009 season.

2013 Pirellis will be different to last year's with wider contact patch, different construction and tyre surface profile which will mean low tyre deg. Hopefully we will have the same style of racing as we did in the last half of 2012. The racing was too contrived for my liking with the tyre lottery and a habit of DRS being too effective. I prefer seeing the drivers and cars on the limit - maximum attack but not "egg shells".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    The teamate battles between McLaren at Mercedes are number one on the list for me. I'm hoping that Jenson Button can recapture some of his 2010 and 11 form as if Perez beats him in his first season at Mc then I fear Jenson's F1 career could be up when his current contract expires. I think the Mercedes battle could be quite close. On one hand I'd like to see Hamilton triumph, but on the other if Rosberg gets beaten easily then it doesn't say much about Schumacher's driving in 2012, which I think was actually pretty decent.

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    I am not that excited yet about 2013, as I have a feeling it will be a Vettel whitewash.

However thgat said the Mercedes situation is going to be good. Can Mercedes design a season long front runner and can Hamilton rock Mercedes out of their slumber?
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by IceWizard
    .. then I fear Jenson's F1 career could be up when his current contract expires.
    Which is a long time time from now, didn't he sign something like a 5 year long contract in 2011? Either way, if he stays four more years and then retires, by most measures, his career by then will be considered relatively long and successful, and the exit fairly timely. I personally would not want to see him become a new Barrichello or Trulli.

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by zako85
    Perhaps. At the same time, McLaren was showing signs of having the fastest car throughout 2012. If they deliver a dominant car that doesn't break, Button and Perez could be big players in the 2013 championship.
    And yet Button did nothing with it, while Lewis was always fighting and let down reliability at the front...

My point is a dominant car may not be enough, the car has to be perfect for Button to shine, and I don't think that'll be a likely scenario for long enough to affect the championship.

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aki13
    I am not that excited yet about 2013, as I have a feeling it will be a Vettel whitewash.

However thgat said the Mercedes situation is going to be good. Can Mercedes design a season long front runner and can Hamilton rock Mercedes out of their slumber?
    Hmmm I don't know Aki. I hope that isn't the case. Adrian Newey has said that Red Bull's 2013 preparations have been compromised by their battle in 2012. He's also spoken about the law of diminishing returns that happens with 'stable' rules. Then again, maybe he's just saying these things... I am aware that Red Bull might have dominated McLaren 98 style if all that stuff hadn't been banned through 2012.

Alonso and Ferrari just need to improve by 4 points to beat Vettel this time. They surely won't start that badly again. BUT then neither will Red Bull probably suffer the way they also did at the start of 2012. Also, Massa may be more of a problem for Alonso than he was last year.

Hard to tell with McLaren. They have been generally building and getting closer every year since 2009 so they may make another step ahead. I agree with Koz about Button. He is title material, but only if the car is... I think Perez is far too inconsistent to win the title yet.

I'm interested to see what Lotus can do as they seem to have been quietly building year on year, just like the Enstone team were from 2001-06 actually, so they may produce a car that is right there. With Kimi's rust shaken off and confidence high, he could be in with a real shout. Their development in 2012 was a concern but it seems this may simply have been from taking a wrong turn in their direction (DDRS etc). Once they dumped that, they seemed to close the gap again somewhat. I wanna see what Grosjean can do cos he stood out so much early on last year, but I feel he could be a little more subdued this time...

Hoping Williams will make a significant step up and Maldonado will be more consistent and reliable, but I've found out that Mark Gillan has now left so progress may be stymied. Also, if you think about it, the teams all seem more competitive because the blown diffusers were banned. The thing is is that Williams were probably slightly behind Sauber but ahead of Force India. In other words their true place may still be the midfield rather than at the front around Ferrari/Lotus/Mercedes territory.

Hard to tell with Sauber too. James Key has left - the team grew in competitiveness after he joined, so now he's gone...? They may lose ground compared to 2012. But then again, Sergio Perez has said he expects Sauber to take another step forward and maybe even win a couple of races! What's more, they have what I feel is a stronger driver leading the team...

Force India have impressed me by making a significant step forward every single year without fail. I wouldn't be surprised to see them edge a little (or who knows, even a lot!) closer once again. Mystery driver no.2 will surely be weaker than Hulkenberg though.

Toro Rosso have been told they aren't good enough by the boss and changes have been made. The drivers are now more experienced so 2013 could be to 2012 like 2011 was compared to 2010 for Alguersuari and Buemi. They have a LOT of ground in the WCC to make up though, but it would be nice to see them mixing it a bit more in the pack this year. Would be amazing for Ricciardo to get that podium he has aimed for - he knows it's very ambitious but it's good to aim high (especially since Dr Marko expects wins because Vettel got one!)

Caterham - I have been really supporting these guys and the other 2 teams, but I am disappointed to see Tony Fernandes kinda quitting. That and lack of cash looks like stopping the progress. Since the 2013 car will just be the 2012 car with some extra bits, they may even drop back a little further off the pace, and behind Marussia even... Disappointing (I know I said that already, but I feel it so much I wanted to say it again ).

Marussia - Very interested to see how they progress with KERS (at least an extra 0.4sec per lap!), a fully windtunnel developed car, and Pat Symonds officially onboard. The signs look promising that they can make a good step forward. However, being over 4sec off the pace in 2012 seems to much to bridge at the moment to Toro Rosso etc.

ALL these things are really interesting to me.

But then again, it may be as Aki said and be a Red Bull whitewash... 2014 looks like it'll spread everyone out again (boo)
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz
    And yet Button did nothing with it, while Lewis was always fighting and let down reliability at the front...

My point is a dominant car may not be enough, the car has to be perfect for Button to shine, and I don't think that'll be a likely scenario for long enough to affect the championship.
    No he did nothing.....three wins and three seconds count for nothing.

Don't worry, McLaren know exactly what they have in Jenson and they are very happy with who they have for next season

WT
    Winner 2012 F1 Fantasy Racers at fantasyracers.com. Winner 2013 FGP.

Never stop believing...

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Hoping that:

- Webber maintains his best form throughout an entire season.
    - The WDC goes down to the last race, I would hate to see another 2011.
    - Grosjean pulling his head in and possibly winning a race.
    - Williams winning another race or two.

That will be all for now, methinks.