Page 105 of 107 FirstFirst ... 55595103104105106107 LastLast
Results 1,041 to 1,050 of 1068
    Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    I don't even activate my burglar alarm at night and often leave the back door unlocked by accident.
    So no signs of my compatriots of a certain ethnic in your area....

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by chuck34
    US Senators take an oath of office to uphold the US Constitution. The US Constitution clearly states via the 2nd Amendment that it's citizens have the right to bear arms. Therefore, for a Senator to want to circumvent the Constitution is a clear violation of their oath of office, an impeachable offence.
    Herein rests the problem.

There have been a number of amendments to the US Constitution. Doesn't that mean that those proposing an amendment were violating their oath of office because they were not upholding the constitution as it was written?

Clearly that's being facecious, but the point is that the Constitution has been amended. It is not cast in stone. It can be amended.
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Whilst the constitution can be amended from time to time, I fear that the American people can not. The staunch stubbornness to hold onto an eighteenth century rule book, despite it producing death, says to me that we are talking about an eighteenth century set of attitudes.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 646 Times in 511 Posts

US Senators take an oath of office to uphold the US Constitution. The US Constitution clearly states via the 2nd Amendment that it's citizens have the right to bear arms. Therefore, for a Senator to want to circumvent the Constitution is a clear violation of their oath of office, an impeachable offence
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1

There have been a number of amendments to the US Constitution. Doesn't that mean that those proposing an amendment were violating their oath of office because they were not upholding the constitution as it was written?

Clearly that's being facecious, but the point is that the Constitution has been amended. It is not cast in stone. It can be amended.
    Just for the record:

Representatives and Senators typically collectively propose up to 200 amendments during each term of Congress;[1]
    List of proposed amendments to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Chuck's contention of Senator’s oath to the Constitution of The United States of America in this matter is completely erroneous, or has there been a rash of Senatorial impeachments in The United States of America that slipped past my notice?

Or maybe he is confusing them with the Republicans oath that they were pressured into signing (anti-tax pledges obtained from nearly all the Republican politicians in Washington) decreed by the will of creepy Grover Norquist
    May the forza be with you

Liked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rollo
    Whilst the constitution can be amended from time to time, I fear that the American people can not. The staunch stubbornness to hold onto an eighteenth century rule book, despite it producing death, says to me that we are talking about an eighteenth century set of attitudes.
    Why do you waste your and everybody else's time here ranting on the subject?
    Llibertat

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Again I ask: are you going to apologise for this assertion?
    Probably not. At least not until you apologize for insulting every gun owner as ignorant, fearful, paranoid, and not worthy of any respect. Oh I'm sorry not every gun owner, only American gun owners, as you seem perfectly happy with Swiss gun owners that go around killing their own, and presumably others as well.
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    One other thing — I have no idea why you respect my thoughts, given that you disagree with them. By all means respect the right to have them, but I think respecting the thoughts themselves is a cop-out when you oppose them.
    No respectful disagreement is the foundation for civil discourse.
    The overall technical objective in racing is the achievement of a vehicle configuration, acceptable within the practical interpretation of the rules, which can traverse a given course in a minimum time. -Milliken

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ArrowsFA1

You completely misunderstand. Senator Feinstein is proposing a common law that abridges Constitutionally protected rights. That is what I have a problem with. If she were proposing an amendment, I would have not support said change, but I would support her right to propose that change.

It is as if she were to propose a common law that states you no longer have the right to post anything on the internet that opposes her views. That would be a clear violation of the 1st Amendment, right? And therefore unconstitutional, right? The 2nd Amendment is no different.

Clear as mud now?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Giacomo Rappaccini
    Just for the record:

Chuck's contention of Senator’s oath to the Constitution of The United States of America in this matter is completely erroneous, or has there been a rash of Senatorial impeachments in The United States of America that slipped past my notice?

Or maybe he is confusing them with the Republicans oath that they were pressured into signing (anti-tax pledges obtained from nearly all the Republican politicians in Washington) decreed by the will of creepy Grover Norquist
    NO no no. Perhaps I am not being expressly clear, although I thought I was. Proposing COMMON law to abridge rights guaranteed by the Constitution is what I have issue with. If she were proposing to amend the Constitution, that would be an entirely different story.

Liked 646 Times in 511 Posts
    NO no no. Perhaps I am not being expressly clear, although I thought I was. Proposing COMMON law to abridge rights guaranteed by the Constitution is what I have issue with. If she were proposing to amend the Constitution, that would be an entirely different story.
    Ok Ok I get it. What we have here is a Senator in the process of trying to get a bill passed into law. If it were to pass it would be up to the Supreme Court to uphold it or rule it unconstitutional upon challenge. Nothing in her procedure is outside the normal workings of legislation in our great Republic, in fact it is quite the norm, and you should know that whether you agree with her proposed legislation or not.
    May the forza be with you