Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts

More kudos for the DeltaWing

AutoRacing1.com - Hot News Page

27,400 Bing results for the Dallara DW12 - Dallara DW12 - Bing

561,000 Bing results for the DeltaWing - DeltaWing - Bing

That's 20x more results for the DeltaWing.

IndyCar. Management. Picked. The. Wrong. Car. LOL!
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nem14
    AutoRacing1.com - Hot News Page

27,400 Bing results for the Dallara DW12 - Dallara DW12 - Bing

561,000 Bing results for the DeltaWing - DeltaWing - Bing

That's 20x more results for the DeltaWing.

IndyCar. Management. Picked. The. Wrong. Car. LOL!
    The deltawing is an interesting car. But, somehow the prospect of 26 deltawings running around Indy, or any where else, doesn't excite me.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    You know what would have been better? Both of them!!!
    Kyle Busch #18 M&M's Toyota Camry
    Dario Franchitti #10 Target Honda Dallara DW12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have always said it's a cars stupid. Indy was about fast cool looking machines and speed records. How to describe it now to a new fan I don't have a clue.
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, the Delta wing is fairly dead at the moment. NISSAN, gone, Michelin, gone, Bowlby gone, etc. Panoz says he is going to build a closed top version, so we'll see.

While the Deltawing certainly had the cool factor, it also had an extreme driving issue, in that most single seat race are wider at the front, or have about the same width as the rear. Several drivers who drove the Delta Wing indicated it was difficult to hit your marks, because you typically place the front tires in spots at the apex. Trying that with the Delta Wing could lead to curb damage since it is so much wider. This also proved difficult when passing, as usually if the front fits through a gap, the rear will follow...but not in the Delta Wing's case.

I was strongly in the Lola camp, but I found recently they had it in the bag, but did not submit a complete proposal, so Dallara got it by default.
    Green, Green, Green!

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 00steven
    You know what would have been better? Both of them!!!
    Actually, one of the definite signs of the INDYCAR Apocalypse was NOT allowing all the designs to compete.

Stupid is as stupid does.
    Popular memory is not history.... -- Gordon Wood

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Capps
    Actually, one of the definite signs of the INDYCAR Apocalypse was NOT allowing all the designs to compete.
    ......and by that you mean compete on track, not for a sole supplier contract.

Here's the spec, build it. Pass FIA crash certification. We will run it through pre season certification, and race tech inspection. Good luck. That used to be Indycars before 1996, and until it gets back to that, we will be stuck with undetectable ratings, mediocre race attendance and generally uninspiring racing.

If the Delta Wing was one of them, great. though I think it would look kinda silly in Target colors. Let the lawn dart and STD jokes begin!
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nigelred5
    ......and by that you mean compete on track, not for a sole supplier contract.

Here's the spec, build it. Pass FIA crash certification. We will run it through pre season certification, and race tech inspection.
    Absolutely.

It is one thing when someone builds a better product within the parameters that are established, what INDYCAR is doing is quite another.

Whether or not the Delta Wing would have been successful or not is actually beside the point, the fact being that someone literally thought outside the box and came up with something different, interesting, and, well, exciting, only to be tossed aside for the status quo was, for me, an excellent reason to not take INDYCAR very seriously.
    Popular memory is not history.... -- Gordon Wood