Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BleAivano
    Jag_Warrior, what brand/models are the tv and BR-player? or could you try to take a picture of the backside of both?
    The TV is an old Samsung (1st gen HD?) rear projection 1080i set from probably 2000 or so. The Blu-ray & surround sound is a Panasonic SC-BTT490.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    If your Blu-Ray doesn't have analogue output (SCART, Component etc), which a lot of them don't for copy protection reasons, then you're stuffed without a converter. HDMI and SCART are totally different systems so there's no such thing as an adaptor or cable without active components in it - but honestly there's nothing to gain by going down that route.

You should find plenty of cheap TVs in the sales after xmas
    Since the set is so old anyway, I'm kind of leaning in that direction. But I just had a color convergence chip put in it about six months ago, so I was hoping to make it last another year or so. Oh well... I just like to keep things until they break down completely: TV's, computers, cell phones, cars... girlfriends.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    TV without SCART? Not since the 80's!
    It may. I just don't know what SCART is. If that refers to the standard A/V inputs and outputs, then I have those.

Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    Jag, google "hdmi to component conversion" and you should find what you're looking for
    Thanks! Funny thing is, when I just did that, a converter came up from Best Buy... and I called them yesterday and the kid claimed that he didn't know anything about them! But the issue that I see is that several of them are going from $150 to over $300. Plus, I'm not sure what I need exactly, so it's looking like this TV may get donated to a local church for their rec/study room and I guess I'll just buy a new TV.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    TV without SCART, you say? Yes, there are a few on the market now and they're only going to get more commonplace. Hideously bad design, both electronically and physically, which deserves to die.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Well, at least there is a reason why I'm unfamiliar with SCART and have never seen a connector like Mark pictured: we don't have that connection here in the U.S. From what I just read, SCART is a European connection standard and it's never really been used here.

I just swung by Walmart and I have to admit that even the cheapo HDTVs in there had better pictures than I have now. So I guess... Darn it!
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    You could take a look at these HDMI to AV converters - HDMI A/V Cables | Overstock.com: Buy A/V Accessories Online

Although never having used one, I doubt it works because you'd still need some sort of a converter. Most Blu-Ray players were designed keeping modern TVs in mind, so not much backwards compatibility. Besides, because of the size of a Blu-Ray movie, you get best results from an HDMI cable, because nothing else is fast enough or broad enough. Your 12 year old TV is designed to work with the older DVD players. To watch and more importantly enjoy Blu-Ray movies, you at least need a 1080p capable HDTV.

You could also take a look at this. Hope it works:

[youtube]_YCfHZF77EA[/youtube]

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    Well, at least there is a reason why I'm unfamiliar with SCART and have never seen a connector like Mark pictured: we don't have that connection here in the U.S. From what I just read, SCART is a European connection standard and it's never really been used here.

I just swung by Walmart and I have to admit that even the cheapo HDTVs in there had better pictures than I have now. So I guess... Darn it!
    They are reasonably cheap these days too. You know you want to
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    If you buy a new one, be sure you get a LCD with a minimum of 120hz or better yet 240hz. Watching sports and racing on a 60hz unit won't be nearly as good. If you go with a plasma unit it won't matter, as that doesn't apply to them..
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    ... If you go with a plasma unit it won't matter, as that doesn't apply to them..

My 5 year old Panasonic 50" plasma claims 600Hz .
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke

My 5 year old Panasonic 50" plasma claims 600Hz .
    Yes, all plasma units are well in excess of any LCD/LED set, most are 600hz. That's why I said it really doesn't apply to them.
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover