Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Question Does anyone here know if you can hook up an HDMI Blu-ray player to a non HDMI HDTV?

Is there some sort of conversion kit for hooking up a Blu-ray and surround sound system that has HDMI to an older set that doesn't have HDMI? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    It doesn't have SCART plugs? Most unusual. If not then not really without expensive converters cheaper to get a new set, DVD player or BluRay with a SCART plug.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    What inputs does the TV have?

Do you have any outputs from the audio that will work? Many units have both analog and digital output so you can pass through them.

SCART? Uh... Uh... I... Uh... Huh?

The old set is an early Samsung HD 1080i (I think I got it in 2001-02 or so) and the only outputs and inputs I see are coaxials, S-video out and standard A/V inputs and outputs like on the old stereo systems.

The set works fine, no more than I watch TV in the living room. I have a newer HD set in the bedroom with all the newer inputs and outputs (HDMI, USB, PC, Digital Audio, etc.) but the system I got is too much for that room. When I bought the Blu-ray/surround sound system, I just never thought about the TV having completely obsolete connections.

So I'm pretty much screwed and have to get a new set?
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 141 Times in 111 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    SCART? Uh... Uh... I... Uh... Huh?

The old set is an early Samsung HD 1080i (I think I got it in 2001-02 or so) and the only outputs and inputs I see are coaxials, S-video out and standard A/V inputs and outputs like on the old stereo systems.

The set works fine, no more than I watch TV in the living room. I have a newer HD set in the bedroom with all the newer inputs and outputs (HDMI, USB, PC, Digital Audio, etc.) but the system I got is too much for that room. When I bought the Blu-ray/surround sound system, I just never thought about the TV having completely obsolete connections.

So I'm pretty much screwed and have to get a new set?
    If the old TV is HD, it should work fine. It should even work if the old TV is standard def. Most blu ray players are made so they will also play standard CDs - you just don't get the hiigh definition part.

What connections are on the back? Standard coax? S video? The three cable type - red, white and yellow plugs?
    "Old roats am jake mit goats."
    -- Smokey Stover

On the back of the old set I have coax, S-video out and standard A/V inputs and outputs. I began getting kind of depressed at how things were looking so I called Worst Buy and the sales rep said I was basically SOL... unless I found some kind of Chinese made adapter off Ebay (or where ever) that may or may not work. Really bummed right now. I got a good deal on the Blu-ray/surround system but I never even considered what my input/output situation was on the old TV set. D@mn modern technology!

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts
    Jag_Warrior, what brand/models are the tv and BR-player? or could you try to take a picture of the backside of both?
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    If your Blu-Ray doesn't have analogue output (SCART, Component etc), which a lot of them don't for copy protection reasons, then you're stuffed without a converter. HDMI and SCART are totally different systems so there's no such thing as an adaptor or cable without active components in it - but honestly there's nothing to gain by going down that route.

You should find plenty of cheap TVs in the sales after xmas
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    TV without SCART? Not since the 80's!
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Jag, google "hdmi to component conversion" and you should find what you're looking for
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti