Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nem 14 Yes I know, The canceled race was also in the 2001 season not 2000, I only know this as I have the t-shirt that says so. Texas April 29th the race was scheddued for. How do i post a picture on here , I'll take a photo to prove it....
    Indy cars says bye to Sky. Yeah baby.......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sorry this was during my anorak period. From 1996 to 2002 I knew so much trivia (dribble) about the series I was becoming a bit sad...Indeed Alex returned to drive for Mo Nun and had a lack luster season until the Germany race, where he was dominating but a bad fuel atrategy meant he had to pitt for that fatal pit exit collison with Alex Tag. The race was nearly canceled along with the UK event at Rockingham de to the events of 911. It was a very tough day at Rockingham with the crap weather, and a weeping track. No practise was run on the Friday and the Ssaturday due to the weather. I could go on but I think you get the gist of my post....

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    See above 1st post.

In July of 2000, Rahal along with Texas Motor Speedway President Eddie Gossage announced there would be a 2001 CART race at the 1.5 mile oval.
    Of course, that race would ultimately be cancelled as drivers found the speeds too dangerous.

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Yep! I F'd up the dates and you're right.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firestone_Firehawk_600
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The issue isn't pure speed. Acceleration around a corner is speed^2/radius.

Texas speeds in the corners at Indianapolis would produce 0.5 fewer g's because the turning radius is 100 feet wider.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    The issue isn't pure speed. Acceleration around a corner is speed^2/radius.

Texas speeds in the corners at Indianapolis would produce 0.5 fewer g's because the turning radius is 100 feet wider.
    Exactly. Even then, they aren't producing the concurrent G-loads at Indy due to the significantly lower banking. I don't have numbers but they can't possibly be producing anywhere near the vertical g's at Indy, it's the lateral g's. Remember, they were experiencing concurrent g loads running higher sustained speeds through the long banking at TMS. Higher than the average lap speeds Indy where the cornering loads last but a few seconds with the long straits having essentially zero g loading. they were basically trying to drive in a centrifuge. Probably the closest sensation I can think of the average person can experience is from some of the Hypercoasters at amusement parks these days. Several have huge horizontal heavily banked loops after a 200-300 foot decent that puts huge combined loads on the riders, but only for a few seconds 1x, and yet I've actually seen people pass out in those turns. The human body simply could not sustain that kind of load for hours. They proved they had reached the limit of the human body at that track. I actually found that incredibly exciting, amazing and frightening all at the same time. It wasn't the way we would have envisioned or the outcome we wanted on track, but we proved the CART cars were far faster than the IRL machines that day. Dangerously so. They simply had about 400 HP too much back then at that track.
    HINCHTOWN!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    [quote="Nem14"]In Brian Carroccio's article (part 2) that looks back at past Indy Car CEOs, it says:

The race was cancelled because CART discovered, just prior to the race, there were physical laws of nature that made it impractical to race CART Indy cars there at speed."

Where have you found Part 2 since part 1 is what is showing? Thanks in advance.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    AutoRacing1.com - Other Racing News and Car Test Page

Spafranco, Here is part 2 of CEO article
    Brian Carroccio
    IndyCar Columnist, AutoRacing1.com

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Brian Carroccio
    IndyCar Columnist, AutoRacing1.com

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    All Remember 20 drivers were talked to, 18 complained of G loc symptoms...and one of the ones who was OK was PT. Not sure what that says, but the bull like neck on the man probably says volumes about his abilities to take G's....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".