Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by EstWRC View Post
    This is very interesting if it is true
    It's official, Hyundai sent out a press release. They will have 4 cars in Wales. #7 Sordo, #8 Paddon, #10 Abbring and #20 Neuville.

Liked 1,064 Times in 465 Posts
    Yes, this is their official statement:

We’ve announced a change to our driver line-up for Wales Rally GB with Thierry NEUVILLE moving to the #20 car. The decision has been made between Thierry, Nicolas Gilsoul and the team to help him regain confidence in the car and to support our push for second in the Manufacturers’ Championship. Hyundai Shell World Rally Team for Wales Rally GB will be Dani Sordo (#7), Hayden Paddon (#8). Hyundai Mobis World Rally Team will be Thierry Neuville (#20) and Kevin Abbring (#10).

Thierry said: “For me, the decision to move to the #20 car for Wales Rally GB will free me up from any Championship pressure and allow me to focus solely on my own driving. This will be important as I strive to regain my confidence ahead of 2016.”

Our Team Manager Alain Penasse said: “We have not reached this decision lightly but after a long and open discussion with Thierry and Nicolas. Everyone in the team is 100% behind Thierry and we feel this is the right decision to take for Wales Rally GB.”
    SimRace Vereniging Nederland
    www.srvn.nl

Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    Really interesting news.

You don't reboot someone's confidence by dropping them from the works team. Those quotes are pure PR - likely not anything that's ever come out of the mouth of Thierry.

Don't know what to make of it but for sure there is more to this than meets the eye.

4. Likes: ruesluporp (13th October 2015)
    Liked 9,356 Times in 4,971 Posts
    Strange one seeing as TN finished 3rd & 4th the last two years on Rally GB.

There's more to this...

6. Likes: ruesluporp (13th October 2015)
    Liked 1,064 Times in 465 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddie WRC View Post
    Strange one seeing as TN finished 3rd & 4th the last two years on Rally GB.

There's more to this...
    And you'd expect them to demote Sordo rather than Neuville if it's only about 2nd position in the manu standings. But they say it isn't only about that.

Lot's of room for interpretation I guess.
    SimRace Vereniging Nederland
    www.srvn.nl

Liked 23 Times in 15 Posts
    Yes, statement is a pure PR garbage and tells simply nothing.

I'm just wondering... Has he just signed with Citroen?

9. Likes: ruesluporp (13th October 2015)
    Liked 2,262 Times in 893 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Shaitan View Post
    Yes, statement is a pure PR garbage and tells simply nothing.

I'm just wondering... Has he just signed with Citroen?
    You are not the only person wondering this. In a way I would quite like it to be true as it would be a statement of intent from Citroen. I think this move from Hyundai will almost ensure now that Neuville finishes third or fourth. Certainly the top Hyundai in Wales. Even a below-par Thierry has to be a better bet for points than Sordo in Wales. Okay Paddon has done the rally five times before but he is a bit of an unknown still.

Liked 643 Times in 285 Posts
    Neuville's biggest nightmare is called Hayden Paddon.
    Neuville's biggest enemy is his princess ego.
    Ever since Paddon pops up at Hyundai,
    Neuville goes down, down, down...

Antony Warmbold once said - my money's on Paddon.

I would add to it - my money too.

Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Paddon also gets the PR side of things, Neuville not so...

Liked 887 Times in 277 Posts
    By this "agreement" with Neuville, I think Hyundai will be able to reach several objectives.

Neuville, a high paid number one driver, has under performed this season - with only few highlights. Hyundai has to do something, and with Pardons rise to form, and the second place in the constructers as a convincing alibi, they have the room they need to act. I dont think Hyundai has lost faith in Neuville, at least not completely, so they do this to:

1) Actually take some pressure of Neuvilles shoulders. Whit out factory points to fight for, and no other responsibility, Neuville can concentrate on driving a good rally, getting his confidence back, and also getting Hyundais confidence back in Neuville.

2) Send a message to Neuville: "You are not irreplaceable, get in line, and get Your act together."

3) Test Haydon Paddons ability to take the extra pressure of being an official factory driver, scoring factory points. And giving him as best as chance as possible by doing it on an event he can go very well.

4) Actually try to get second in the constructors, because they actually believe Paddon will place higher than Neuville.

5) Test if Neuville will go faster when he doesn't have to score points, because he has said that Pardons lesser responsibility (and starting position) is the reasons for his speed.

In my opinion:
    The driving technique of Neuville needs adjustment if he is going to get back to the top, especially since he is now driving a car that is more "French" than the benign M-Sport Ford.
    And the driver needs to focus less on his Spy glasses and his Superdry T-shirts, and more on taking on the task of becoming a World Champion by attacking it with a humble an motivated attitude (by practising a lot of driving technique, pace notes, etc.)

Its understandably easy to get a little off track when You reach success as fast as Neuville did, so You can't really blame him. And not being in the factory Volkswagen, You can always blame the car for the lack of pace. But when a less experienced team mate starts to regularly outpace You, then Your illusions should take a tumble. And I hope that Neuville doesn't "blame" all of Paddons pace on starting positions, gets back to the drawing board, and gets back in the fight.
    https://www.facebook.com/noseendfirst?ref=hl#

14. Likes: itix (14th October 2015),raybak (14th October 2015)