Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    It perhaps wasn't good sportsmanship on Alonso's part but he's never taken defeat very well, remember Abu Dhabi 2010 with Petrov to name a recent instance? Then again its the rumour mill suggesting it was at Alonso's request, but in truth we don't know that as fact. Anyway, I suppose there is a lot at stake and gaining a WDC on appeal is worth a lot to one's own record and the monetary value to the team. You can't really blame them for trying it on.
    It is disgusting and I can especially if you consider the fact that Alonso ridiculed McLaren about the same thing in 2007. Well, I was appalled from McLaren's behavior then and from Ferrari's actions now... I simply loathe this efforts to fix the championship. I also think that Ferrari are definitely not idiots and knew that they were wrong. Nevertheless they tried, maybe in order to diminish the success of Red Bull and Seb. For me it is very difficult to respect them after that, although I am sure that in the end I will be happy to see them successful - there is always something special about Ferrari.
    Formula 1

Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    It perhaps wasn't good sportsmanship on Alonso's part but he's never taken defeat very well, remember Abu Dhabi 2010 with Petrov to name a recent instance? Then again its the rumour mill suggesting it was at Alonso's request, but in truth we don't know that as fact.
    The thing that I think makes Fernando look a bit bad, is his tweeting. Those cryptic messages about 'making own miracles on proper rules' made it look like he was all for it, even if he wasn't the driving force behind it. I think we can agree that all drivers don't take defeat very well. Alonso sulks, Vettel complains about god and the world and Hamilton may lose his marbles alltogether (like he did in 2011 with that 'because I is black' comment for instance).
    The driving force behind the whole story are the Spanish media, who hypes the raw stuffing out of a few grainy youtube videos. With their fanbase frothing at the mouth Ferrari had now other choice than to ask for clarification. The last thing you want is alienating your fanbase.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

The 'asking for clarification' on competitors parts is not strictly the same. It is mainly a tool to have FIA investigate, but ruling it out is not always the only goal. Sometimes it is also used as a tool to get technical information about the concept to copy it at a later time. Since FIA has to explain WHY a part is within the rules, they also need to present technical information, which is then used by competitors.

The whole clarification dance about Vettel's move against Vergne was just a Ferrari plot to silence the raging Spanish fans. They didn't need clarification. If internet users could riddle it out using nothing more than a grainy youtube video and the official track map on FIA.com, one can safely bet that the seasoned veterans at Ferrari knew that there was not case to begin with.
    But their Spanish fans went ape-excrement and their star driver fueled the fire with a bit of twitter nonsense, so they had to do something to silence the uproar. That's all there was to it.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    henners, both in 2007 and 2012 FIA stewards checked the accidents and had their decisions - to fine Williams in 2007 and not to take action in 2012. With the appeals McLaren and Ferrari desperately tried to win the races in courts and it is disgusting, at least for me. Other people may feel different.
    I also don't like that forum maniacs have such vast influence in sports or entertainment. It seems that many people are ready to bend to the wishes of nerds with too much free time (and yes, I am among these nerds too ).
    Formula 1

Quote Originally Posted by F1boat
    henners, both in 2007 and 2012 FIA stewards checked the accidents and had their decisions - to fine Williams in 2007 and not to take action in 2012. With the appeals McLaren and Ferrari desperately tried to win the races in courts and it is disgusting, at least for me. Other people may feel different.
    I also don't like that forum maniacs have such vast influence in sports or entertainment. It seems that many people are ready to bend to the wishes of nerds with too much free time (and yes, I am among these nerds too ).
    You're talking in riddles, man. Those youtube videos didn't come from Forum nerds. Well maybe they did, but not too many people would have noticed them. The pressure came from Spanish tabloid papers. Nodoby gives a flying expletive about us forum nerds

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    well, sorry for my mistake then, although it is worse if FIA bows to biased journos.
    Formula 1

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by F1boat
    well, sorry for my mistake then, although it is worse if FIA bows to biased journos.
    Well, they didn't change the result of the race. But surely it's right to answer when people are asking questions isn't it?

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I think that they answered even before Ferrari asked for clarification, but I'm not sure - I was far from the city and the Internet in the days of the row.
    Formula 1

Liked 645 Times in 510 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyL
    Well, they didn't change the result of the race. But surely it's right to answer when people are asking questions isn't it?
    Well stated AndyL, this thread has gotten way off topic. Here is my simple though somewhat existential view of the championship.

Vettel was 3 points better than Alonso.

Furthermore; anyone who doesn't think Alonso (Spanish media or any other purveyor of ambiguous prose) didn't do everything in his power to win this "dog-blasted thing, or in some way was cheated really weren't paying very close attention, and or need to get over it. Alonso did himself and Ferrari proud, I'm quite satisfied with Alonso's body of work this season, and I offer no excuses!
    May the forza be with you

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    While it might not have such a hard thing to get past him , all of us would put it in context , regarding the respective cars , so I doubt Michael would be too bothered about being shown up , so I'm so sure about "a)" .

As for "b)" , sure , Luca would see the chance for being tripped up by Michael go away , and would be saddened by it , as it's a part of the game . Team orders are legal , and so , I guess , is helping another team , even if you don't stand to benefit yours .

In a wet race there is every chance that Torro Rosso wouldn't make the end , or that it might have tripped into Vettel itself , had Sebastian been backed into it with a defending Michael .

It was one of the last straws that Ferrari could grasp , and Michael retired the position before retiring after the race .