Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Should Solberg be in a factory seat for 2013?

I've been a huge fan of Petter for years, but I draw the line for 2013. With so many talented young drivers just waiting for there big chance I think its an injustice to the sport for Petter to get a factory seat, he's lost his winning ability and he seems to be doing nothing more than clinging to the dying embers of his WRC career. With the likes of Breen, Paddon, Novikov, Tanak but to name a few who would give their left arm for a factory seat do you think its good for WRC that Solberg should have one in 2013?

Liked 2,242 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Yes, for one or two more years. The others aren't ready yet.

Liked 660 Times in 319 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RS
    Yes, for one or two more years. The others aren't ready yet.
    Not on the basis of his shambolic efforts of 2012.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like the guy. But after this year i think he's had his day. He had the chances to win an event this year and he couldn't pull it all together. Maybe he need a new challenge.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I think Peter is one of the greatest characters in the Rally Sport.
    He must continue in WRC and I believe he can be competitive still.
    He just need to focus on finishing more and take more tactics than flat-out rallies.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    If Nasser will not support Petter for a free ride, Prodrive should.
    He is a winner still. The only real character left.

Liked 103 Times in 39 Posts
    To transfer my arguments from elsewhere to here:

For the argument that Petter has lost his speed: Petter won a lot more stages than Ostberg did last year. And Petter won more stages in less rallies in the privateer, well out of date Xsara in 2009 than Ostberg did in a good quality and reliable Fiesta this season. Ostberg simply does not have rally winning pace except in Sweden. And don't bring up the win this season because that was luck and no more, and completely unrelated to pace anyway! No-one else who is availible is ready to take the seat ahead of Petter based on pace.

For those who say he's lost his winning touch: I see your point, but he has the pace to be the best on any given stage. He won an awful lot of stages last year bearing in mind how bad a season it was for him, and if he can combine that pace with consistency then he has the ability to win. He's not as fast as Loeb, but last year he beat Mikko and JML in straight fights, and has beaten Sordo in the past too when Dani was in good machinery. Therefore with Loeb out the picture and if he can get his head in gear he should be podium-ing on most events and should be capable of winning a round or two as well, especially in Greece/GB/Mexico where he's always fast. Yes the lack of win for 7 years is worrying, but Dani hasn't won ever and most would say he has the pace to win events.

For those who put forward young drivers ahead of Petter: What I still don't understand (even without my bias!) is who is available and better? Tanak and Novikov are improving but a team of Ostberg and Tanak/Novikov would struggle to get podiums, let alone wins. I'd guess that if that were the team M-Sport would win less than 30 stages next year, and not win one event. Petter has the speed to still win which very few drivers have. Yes he bins it more often than not, but if the Polo isn't quite up to speed at the start of the season Petter could easily challenge Sordo and Mikko while I doubt Ostberg could even get close - Novikov and Tanak are even further away. Just seems an odd move - fair enough promote Ostberg due to his consistency and good 2012 season, but to lose the only available guy who has world class pace is a bit odd.

My conclusions: If Malcolm chooses anyone over Petter based on ability as opposed to money then he's a fool or a brave man! There is no free driver availible who can even come close to matching his speed - Hanninen and Meeke are the only remotely viable options with sufficient experience. Not to mention the fans and interest Petter brings to WRC.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The problem i see is that if you were to use Meeke, Hanninen or anyone else for that mater, that was paying to drive and they crash your getting cash. If petter drives for free. You get a great driver not at his best but can still win stages. but if he crashes its costing you. money.

Liked 2,841 Times in 1,614 Posts
    It´s nothing wrong having Mads as first driver in M-sport. But losing Petter from the WRC should mean a lot.

How many of you guys have seen Petter live choosing starting position after QS? If you´d been there you´d noticed that no one else gets the publics liking as PS. That mean something you can´t ignore.

So yes for sure Petter should be there. At Ford, as 2nd driver, no problem to that. But he should be in. No one else driver (free at the moment) can take his place by pure speed, or star quality.
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts
    When you as an former champion and still one of the fastest out there are asked to pay 2-3 mill euro for a drive i guess it is time to call it quits and look somewhere else (WTCC or Global Rallycross).