Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Leigh Diffey in at NBC Sports Network for both F1 & IndyCar

Aussie Leigh Diffey has been confirmed as joining the NBC Sports Network as lead commentator for both their F1 & IndyCar coverage, where he will replace the retiring Bob Jenkins. He'll be joined by David Hobbs/Steve Matchett for their F1 coverage, whilst Will Buxton (pit reporter) has been linked to doing both F1 & IndyCar as well. No news yet on the futures of Jon Beekhuis, Wally Dallenbach, or the rest of the NBC IndyCar crew. Seems that most of the SPEED crew are being recruited, although Bob Varsha will not be involved as he'll still be under contract to FOX for 2013. Seems like a very good move from NBC Sports Network.

If only ABC would revamp their broadcast team, as Marty Reid & Scott Goodyear need to go. How about Paul Page & Tommy Kendall for ABC next season???

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Now it's ABC's turn.
    Kyle Busch #18 M&M's Toyota Camry
    Dario Franchitti #10 Target Honda Dallara DW12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I was hoping for Eli Gold, but Leigh Diffey isn't bad.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Leigh Diffey IMO is a great choice! Paul Page and Jon Beekhuis? Tommy Kendall? Paul Tracy?
    :champion:car Continuing since 1909
    http://www.youtube.com/user/champcar4ever

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    How would Will Buxton do both F1 and Indycar. Thats a hell of a lot of Skymiles!

Gary
    "If you think there's a solution, you're part of the problem." --- George Carlin :andrea: R.I.P.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    This is good news, but then again the bar wasn't set very high. Will be much better for sure.
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by garyshell
    How would Will Buxton do both F1 and Indycar. Thats a hell of a lot of Skymiles!

Gary

I'm guessing Will would only be able to do IndyCar when F1 isn't scheduled that same weekend. The bigger question is how is Diffy going to do both? Is IndyCar going to be called from a studio now? That is the only way I see Leigh being able to do both as there is bound to be several weekends when both F1 and IndyCar have races on the same day.

Leigh will be a huge improvement over Jenkins. I would like them to find a way to get Tommy Kendall in the mix. I'll miss Varsha in F1. I expect ABC to keep going with their sleep inducing team.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Sounds great - so far, so good. As far as F1 was concerned, I was really worried about "the band" getting split up. Hopefully Varsha will be able to jump over in 2014, although I do like Leigh Diffey. On the IndyCar side, this also sounds great. As I've said before, I like Jon Beekhuis, but compared to Steve Matchett, his data acquisition geek skills are pathetic. If he wants to be involved still, he is welcome to come to my house and watch a couple of races a year with me... as long as he brings the cold drinks. Wally Dallenbach can stand outside the window and watch... as long as he remains (completely!!!) quiet and doesn't disturb the dog.

Assuming IndyCar doesn't further implode before the season kicks off, at least NBC Sports seems ready & willing to pick up where Speed Channel is leaving off. Also, I agree with those above who would like to see a real personality, like Tommy Kendall or Paul Tracy, in the booth at IndyCar races.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    What's going to happen to Speed TV now? Is there going to be some good racing on it at all besides Aussie V8 supercars? It could be good if they covered something else, like FIA GT, WTCC, or BTCC.

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    By the way, is NBC ever going to change the screen format. I mean, look at this:

[HD] IndyCar 2012 - Sonoma (Finish) - YouTube

Could there possibly more clutter and distraction than this? Why do they waste so much space at the top with those dark area? Why the line constantly scrolling? This is just terrible to watch. Why can't they do it like F1 broadcasts?