Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 1,251 Times in 680 Posts

WRC 2012: A review...(The Good, the bad, & the damn right ugly)

Well folks, thats 2012 done. It seemed for a short time we might not even have a WRC, with the NOS Promoter issues, and all the problems that brought. But, in the end, the season ran, and I think it was a season to get through before the hope of better things.

Eventually, RedBull Media House & the Sportsmans Group are the new Promoters – alas, too late for Ford & BMW Mini...who pulled the plug.

So, what were your highlights, your low lights, best events, and worst events. What one event sums up WRC 2012 for you?

And what do you wish to see in WRC 2013....

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    ups:
    - Monte Carlo back with fabulous weather variety
    - Ogier collecting 41 points with S2000 car
    - strong and interesting battle in the SWRC category
    - lots of young guns handed with top cars

downs:
    - limited or none video coverage, with disgusting narrators
    - zero or none intrigue in the WRC category
    - some pointless events still in the calendar

Liked 3,476 Times in 1,016 Posts
    @Slowson: "Pointless events"? Explain further please...

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    I've learn couple of things:
    * Loeb is still the best ever, even in one foot in retirement - good perhaps
    * Ogier can still win stages even with S2000 - good
    * Latvala have the speed we all know, he must work on his motivation level - not so good
    * WRC without promoter is half WRC - bad
    * Global crisis in car manufacturers brand is still going on - really bad
    * As every year there were good and bad events, I can classify the bad when Ford fails at first day, and the rest you all know.
    * I like some changes in the events, like returning of the endurance ones and bringing back the night stages - good

As every year end, we all hope for better in next one. BMW/Mini & Ford went out, but there is VW going in with all guns blazing, Other Asian manufacturers will enter also (I hope so) 2014. There is the brand new promoter which gives big promises for coverages, live streaming, etc. Looks like the future is bright from that point of view.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 467 Times in 284 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B
    @Slowson: "Pointless events"? Explain further please...
    ok but in PM to not destroy the topic

Liked 11,152 Times in 4,427 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv
    * Global crisis in car manufacturers brand is still going on - really bad
    I don't like that speaking about crisis. I would not call a crisis a moment when over-production powered by loans comes to a point when it's not possible to continue the same way. I think that it's has more to do with a kind of return to reality.
    Stupid is as stupid does. Forrest Gump

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Highlights:
    Ogier demonstrating just how good a driver he has become by exhibiting such high levels of car-control and commitment in what were, after all, a series of demo runs with nothing at stake.
    Ostberg maturing and showing his suitability to be a factory driver.
    JML demonstrating he has an all-round game now which gives him the edge on Mikko and Mads.
    A final year of brilliiance from Loeb.

Lowlights:
    Petter going past his sell-by date -can we be sure he isn't looking for those rocks as 3 days is a bit too much for him now?
    Any time the field self-destructed to leave only a handfull of WRC cars running
    The absence of Kris Meeke in a Mini
    JML self-handicapping by getting injured

Best Event
    Hard to say this year as no event had a truly epic confrontation but Sweden and Finland stand out, to my opinion, as times when the winner out-classed the opposition.

Worst Event
    Wales Rally GB for its poor entry, wrong calendar scheduling and unnnecessary road mileage.

France is the event that sums up the year (though it could have been any of the Loeb wins) donminance by the car / driver combo with the opposition losing credibility by bad strategy, bad tactics and lack of self-control

Wishes for 2013
    Prodrive Mini finding credible sponsors
    WRC getting proper, widely accessible TV coverage
    VW Polo to hit the ground running
    Hirvonen demonstrating that he can win a rally outside Scandanavia without waiting for the quicker guys to fall over.
    Nikarra, Weijs, Neuville, Paddon, Breen and PG to get frequent WRC rides - Novikov and Tanak to improve upon 2012 performance.
    Hyundai and Toyota to get on with it and stop pussy-footing around.
    The rock demon to stop following Petter (exorcist required I think!)
    Rally GB to plan to be an endurance event taking in North England, North Wales, Scottish Borders - with a Stately Home tarmac first day
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirek
    I don't like that speaking about crisis. I would not call a crisis a moment when over-production powered by loans comes to a point when it's not possible to continue the same way. I think that it's has more to do with a kind of return to reality.
    You're probably right as usual. I don't know much details for loans etc., but overproduction is what I know of indeed.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    I believe I'll remember season 2012 as rallying's most tragic year ever. Far too many fatal accidents, and as a grotesque underling the worst accident happened at the end of the season. Remember next time at a rally that you will stay in a safe place, and if you see someone standing at dangerous area, tell them.

From competetive points of view, nothing really spectacular stands out for me personally. Loeb's speak less, act more character has made the biggest impression this year; same as Latvala's frustrating habit to make the odd mistakes has given me the most grey hair. Solberg was really disappointing in the latter half of the season, whereas Hirvonen - even if always the one after the winner - became even more non-present as a wingman to Loeb. Out of younger WRC regulars, Novikov and Neuville seem to be on a verge of something greater, and same goes absolutely to Östberg as well. It's just that they still are visibly behind from the winning speed - let's hope next year will change that.

Also, IRC in its final year was sadly slowly fading. Only a handful of events that made the difference (Corsica, Ypres, Barum, also Acores, Ireland) compared to previous years when it was more - simply just more. Now it was decided before the season started that who's gonna be the champ.

Let's also hope the WRC sub-category winners Breen (with his unfortunate story) and Evans would make their respective steps up. They are very great to watch in the stages. There's also a lot of other young drivers that will be interesting follow in the future, Weijs, Abbring, Kruuda, Koci, Weigand, etc.

As a Finn and Finnish point of view, of course I must mention our FRC comet that is Esapekka Lappi. Let's see what he can deliver in the future seasons. He could - and should - be one of the Finnish drivers to step up in WRC in long term. Now that Ketomaa's international career was more or less buried this year, and Hänninen is facing somehow unfair situation of being unable to step up, there isn't many new Finnish drivers to choose from. Nikara is on the verge too, but that remains to be seen. At least he provided some amazing performance this year in N4 cars.

From 2013 I hope saturated competition at the top of WRC, 4-5 winner at least - hopefully in at least 3 makes. Also, good competition in renewed ERC would be much welcomed. Bring on 2013!
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
    I'm pretty much with Hartusvuori. From my point there really isn't highlights this year. Too many fatal accidents in rallying, latest last weekend. As being a father and hearing a six year old was one of the victims... I truly hope next year we don't have to read a single bad news.

Good points of course is that RedBull is taking over the promoting. And for me personally Esapekka Lappi's whole national season but also flashing his pace at NORF. I knw he has a plan but if I was a teamboss, I'd try to talk him over and gave him seat right away.

Low points... well, I was REALLY dissapointed of Ketomaa. Surely there is something behind the curtains I don't know that affecetd but still.... Mini pulling the plug off and we all see that the car has huge potential. Makes me sad.... Something tells also the fact that now that I'm trying to remember something out of this season, I get nothing?? I followed every rally, how com I can't remember anything specific?
    Another Flying Finn