Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts

VW-duo Ogier & Latvala - friends or foes ?

With no offense, I left Mikkelsen out from the title

What do you think, Ogier, who is urge to win and compete, had to test Polo and drive Skoda the whole season, the last season Loeb did all the rallies and then comes in Latvala, to the ready table setting and was allowed to rally all season... what do you think, shall he keep himself as the first driver of the team? Hasn't VW announced that they will have no 1.st and 2nd drivers? One thing is for sure though.... should Latvala crash next year, it won't be Ogier to comfort him and tap his shoulder? I predict a fierce fight in the team. Both drivers very fast. Both drivers keen to make mistakes from time to time. Both drivers drive for win not only a rally but for every stage. It's like Senna vs Prost except either one of them is Prost :
    Another Flying Finn

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    And when the two other 'crash and burn' Mikkelsen will be there to pick up points!

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    This have to be something worth watching isn't it? Let me see...
    Ogier has shown some maturity this year working on VW development program. In Monte he still probably had the adrenaline from last year, which led him to overdrive S2000 Fabia. From then on, he is nothing but consistent in speed and winning, well may the competition was not strong enough, but in some Rallies Mikkelsen put him a fight, didn't he? until something wrong happened to him.
    Latvala had the speed to challenge Loeb this year (as Ogier did last one), he just didn't had the consistency for one reason or another (Ford also didn't impressed me with some of their tactics). Second part of his season is somewhat what he should do if he wants WDC crown - As fast as only he can be, whenever he can, and take more calm approach when he doesn't have the chance for something more in the event.
    Both of them have the speed and the ambition to become WDC next year on every cost. If VW don't make team orders in 2/3 of the season, this would be one hell of fight. Both of them will use every inch of the road they can find more speed. Probably Polo won't have the speed of Citroen/Ford right out the box, but these 2 can compensate that I believe. In some events the luck might favor one, in others the other one. If there is finish for at least one of them, this will be probably the most spectacular season in recent years.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 103 Times in 39 Posts
    I think it's a battle Ogier will comfortably win I'm afraid, and I can see JML getting fed up. The Polo is unlikely to be 100% reliable right from the start (even being German!) and the last thing JML needs is mechanical issues as well as driver errors! I'd even suggest that Mikkelsen will get roughly the same amount of points as JML over 8 events simply by getting regular top 5s while Latvala fights for top 3 or retires.

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    I'm not convinced about that. The main reason Latvala to crash (as Ogier) was Loeb being light years ahead.
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv
    I'm not convinced about that. The main reason Latvala to crash (as Ogier) was Loeb being light years ahead.
    That is true, and something I've mentioned in another thread some time so I do agree in part. However some drivers are just like that, and I feel like JML is just not a complete driver regardless of the opposition. Rapid, undoubtedly. Talented, yes. True champion driver, not sure.

Maybe a new team and not having to push as much will help him, however I see an almost Loeb-like dominance from Ogier if the VW is a good enough car for the forseeable future until Mikkelsen or Neuville reach their potential. Whatever happens, 2013 is bound to be interesting with 4 or 5 really quick drivers who are relatively evenly matched, a new team and 2 or 3 young guns going for it - plus I can't wait to see how the new Ford team plays out.

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    I fail to understand why so many people think that the Polo won't be competitive / reliable from the start. I'm absolutely certain that it will be the car to beat and that Mikko will once again be looking to pick up points when the VW pair crash /retire. If they finish a rally they will be ahead of the rest. Since JM has improved on tarmac it will be a very even match. As for the guys being foes, I doubt it - they may not be buddy-buddy but provided that they get a fair team management I'm sure they will both be respectful of each other. I'm a fan of both drivers, both have different strengths and weaknesses but they are both the most gifted guys rallying next year. Mikkelsen will not get a drive if it depends on either of the 1st team failing.
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pettersolberg29
    The Polo is unlikely to be 100% reliable right from the start (even being German!) and the last thing JML needs is mechanical issues as well as driver errors!
    Except, that according to VW people, the reliability is already there, but the speed is not. They hope that Polo will score a podium, or maybe a win, in the second half of the year. I find it overly optimistic (i.e. not realistic) that VW will be a title contender in 2013. In 2014? Yes, probably. But not sooner than that.

Quote Originally Posted by kober
    Except, that according to VW people, the reliability is already there, but the speed is not. They hope that Polo will score a podium, or maybe a win, in the second half of the year. I find it overly optimistic (i.e. not realistic) that VW will be a title contender in 2013. In 2014? Yes, probably. But not sooner than that.
    Then I bow to superior knowledge as I haven't seen this info. It wouldn't surprise me being VW if they were really reliable but I was just basing it on lack of real rally experience with the Polo yet. I agree regarding the title - it's a totally new project, a revolution not evolution and it's unlikely to be the best car right from the off even with excellent funding and testing. By the mid-point maybe, but I'd be surprised - happy, but surprised - if it won any rallies on pure pace alone before the mid-season break, even with the 2 quickest drivers on board.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory
    Mikkelsen will not get a drive if it depends on either of the 1st team failing.
    Mikkelsen is getting a 3rd Polo from the third round onwards, for 8 rounds in total, regardless of the top 2 drivers.