Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gt1 Alms 2007

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    http://www.mariantic.co.uk/lmp/

just look at the entry list between the LMES and ALMS for '07. you'll find out there is alot more teams are involved with the LMES in every category.

Road Endurance Racing just hasn't hit it off yet with other big name teams and manufactorers. I hope that the ALMS can get their act together and find a way to succeed in improving their series.
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Based on what, the complaints from the teams? You mean like the annual NASCAR lobbying that goes on? Try a little logical consistency. The people at Chevrolet responsible for the Corvette program work alongside the people at Chevrolet responsible for the NASCAR program and I know you know about the annual NASCAR lobbying whine-fest.

Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    also if ALMS keeps changing the rules after each race Corvette teams will just leave.
    Peter Olivola (polivola@sbcglobal.net)
    "Too dumb for opera
    too smart for NASCAR"

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    yep, they should just race instead of whine
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Well, I can't speak to any facts, but the rumours being reported a month or so ago were that Corvette wanted to continue racing in the ALMS but had become more than a little annoyed at all the rule changes they viewed as unfair. Consequently they were considering campaigning in the LMES for a year as that could also further their marketing aims.

I sure hope they stay in the ALMS.

Privateers are another possibility I suppose.

I also like what Penske had to say in an interview on SpeedTV a month or two back. He basically was wanting a true prototype class and a single GT class, IIRC....anyone else read that?

EDIT: Here's the link to the article on Speed: http://www.speedtv.com/articles/auto/alms/33724/

Penske: “I’d like to see a consistent series where we have a set of rules that would be for five years. The American Le Mans Series is being dictated by a rulebook from the ACO [organizing club for Le Mans]. We are a lot different with four-hour races and one or two 12-hour ones versus a 24-hour race. It’s not completely consistent. I’m of the mind that we need to have one pure prototype class and one for coupes like the Corvettes and Porsches and Aston Martins. I think the excitement of the racing if everybody had the same power and had different-looking chassis and different-looking engine, I think it would take the sport another 100 feet high."
    Racing season is soon upon us!:smokin:

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Merging the two GT classes would be interesting, becoming something like GT3.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by grassrootsracer
    Merging the two GT classes would be interesting, becoming something like GT3.
    I dislike this idea, like the Grand Am did at the end of 2004, as now they have a single GT class
    Subaru World Rally champion...in 2008 :D

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subaru WRX
    I dislike this idea, like the Grand Am did at the end of 2004, as now they have a single GT class
    If done right I think it would work. As it is GT2 is almost pointless, just a Porsche Cup race. I'd rather watch Corvette's, Aston Martin's, Porsche's, etc all running in one class. Something akin to Speed World Challenge GT on steroids, or halfway between current GT1 and GT2. That type of class would probably bring in more manufacturers and help privateers bring other marques into the series.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    sorry but the GT2 class is more than a Porsche Cup, look at the FIA GT, where the factory Ferrari team, AF Corse won the GT2 championship, or at this year Le Mans 24, where a Panoz Esperante won the class.

for sure GT1 is strugling a lot in ALMS, but the GT2 is the most beautifull one in all 4 classes, try to follow it in 2007 and you will see

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Subaru WRX
    sorry but the GT2 class is more than a Porsche Cup, look at the FIA GT, where the factory Ferrari team, AF Corse won the GT2 championship, or at this year Le Mans 24, where a Panoz Esperante won the class.

for sure GT1 is strugling a lot in ALMS, but the GT2 is the most beautifull one in all 4 classes, try to follow it in 2007 and you will see
    The Panoz's only became competitive this year after a rule change severely handicapped the Porsche's.

I like GT2, if anything I think a single GT class should be closer to that level than GT1, keep the cars running essentially stock bodies, etc.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    the future of GT racing, I think is in the GT2 and GT3 classes, as GT1 is becoming too expensive and it is very difficult to have new comers to challenge Aston Martin and Corvette, as they are now : full factory teams.