Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 666 Times in 464 Posts
    I think 2014 may see some major "shuffling of the deck" if you will, as the changes are enough to wipe much of the slate clean and force teams to redesign many things. For example I wasn't aware of the exhaust restrictions Wedge clarified. Even for the best of the best, such a change is a major factor in how the overall car design takes place. The new engines will not only change the center of gravity but the new powerbands created by those engines might for instance produce a difference in how much straight line traction is needed to get out of a corner quickly.

Even the best designers have limits to what they can do, and even at the level of F1 the "lesser" designers and engineers have a lot of experience and knowledge in hand. In a sport where fractions of a second per lap can result in either horrid results or consistent top of the pack results, I think it's inevitable that the field will likely spread out some.

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Giacomo Rappaccini
    A pretty good read IMO
    Renault RS34
    Indeed , a good read .

One thing I picked up , near the end of the article , was a reference to a relationship between PURE , and Mechachrome .
    Mechachrome is a name I haven't heard in a while . Isn't Flavio involved with them ?

Liked 785 Times in 582 Posts
    Another thing I found interesting , is the move to have some common components with other series , notably LeMans .

We have had highly restrictive testing limits for the last few years , and the possibility of being able to create some relevence between series' bodes well , I believe for F1 et al .

Now , if they can find a way to help the young guys get some seat time to prepare them better for the big time .
    Perhaps Pirelli's testing could have all the reserve drivers take turns in the car ?
    If all the teams helped pay for it , they could get direct data from the test-bed .
    And the tire company gets direct data from all the reserve drivers , which could really benefit in designing tires for the next generation .

It could be optional for teams to send drivers to tire school , thus avoiding draining small team budgets .
    Large teams , though , could really love the idea , and fund it , putting no more economic penalty on Pirelli to spend on development for tires that the FIA seems to move the boundaries on yearly .