Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Windows 8

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts

Windows 8

OK! seeing nobody has posted this yet, I'll start. We had dyre warnings about the new Microsoft system, with kids wanting to go back to Mum's old computer with Windows 7. So!! has anyone tried this new system yet? I'm not worried as I can upgrade to Windows for $15 as I just "bought" the Ultrabook with Windows 7.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    (There was a bit of discussion in the mobiles thread, but this is desktops too of course)

Not sure I'm convinced yet, but then again I haven't actually tried the finished product so I'm not sure.

I do know at work I'm going to get my machine upgraded with a new OS, so I do wonder if I should go with Windows 7 64-bit or jump to Windows 8.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    It is quite more faster then windows8 and as usual different in graphic from windows7 with lots of themes and lots of more attractive gadgets.
    collegefootballwinning

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Valve Bounce
    OK! seeing nobody has posted this yet, I'll start. We had dyre warnings about the new Microsoft system, with kids wanting to go back to Mum's old computer with Windows 7. So!! has anyone tried this new system yet? I'm not worried as I can upgrade to Windows for $15 as I just "bought" the Ultrabook with Windows 7.
    I will stick with Windows 7 until I read some reviews/feedback from the expert in here btw welcome back Valve
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    We're on the happy borderline of being able to choose between 7 & 8 on our new toys, so correct me if I'm wrong: W8 has a weird hybrid interface but if you spend about 30 seconds customising it you can basically have the familiar desktop back should you so wish; it's also more secure and slightly faster than 7. So far so good?
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    (There was a bit of discussion in the mobiles thread, but this is desktops too of course)

Not sure I'm convinced yet, but then again I haven't actually tried the finished product so I'm not sure.

I do know at work I'm going to get my machine upgraded with a new OS, so I do wonder if I should go with Windows 7 64-bit or jump to Windows 8.
    Well, seeing as though you're an IT person, someone has to test the compatibility of apps As far as usability and compatibility go, there's no real difference for desktop users, you boot into the Metro style interface and click on the desktop tile and you're in desktop mode and it's pretty much Windows 7 aside from there being no start icon.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    We're on the happy borderline of being able to choose between 7 & 8 on our new toys, so correct me if I'm wrong: W8 has a weird hybrid interface but if you spend about 30 seconds customising it you can basically have the familiar desktop back should you so wish; it's also more secure and slightly faster than 7. So far so good?
    Here are a few photos taken with my phone.

Metro interface you get when you log in. Click on the desktop tile to go into desktop mode

Desktop mode. Looks familiar non?

This is what happens when you use the start button, it works the same as in Windows 7, just that it launches full screen rather than just from the bottom left corner.
    Rule 1 of the forum, always accuse anyone who disagrees with you of bias.I would say that though.

Admin
    Yes. I'm going to argue to have Windows 8 on my new machine. Not that because I particularly need it but I do need to become familiar with it as it's here to stay.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Yes. I'm going to argue to have Windows 8 on my new machine. Not that because I particularly need it but I do need to become familiar with it as it's here to stay.
    Someone needs to try it fo shizzidy. Personally if you're going to get a new machine I'd argue that they should get you a machine with a touchscreen so as to be able to use it properly and evaluate its usefulness in the business

Admin
    Haha. Like that's gonna happen.