Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Liked 1,244 Times in 676 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rallyfun
    How is he different/faster from Mathiew Wilson?
    That question deserves to be treated with the contempt it deserves....

Is there a better sound than that of Porsche engined Flat-6 ???

Liked 21 Times in 10 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nornbugger
    How many realistic chances has he had to score points?

I feel Meeke promised a lot, he is very quick but he needed to do more in the Mini than he did last year, sure more events would have been good but he still made too many errors. At the time some of his diehard fans said that he was building experience for next year, all lovely in theory except if he was learning events and not driving 100% then he should have been off the road less
    Don't get me wrong I like this guy but to say is fast or better than other driver you need to have some refference. All those theories about chances, money etc. sound more like exuse. First of all competitive driver finishes rallies, gets points, uses clever tactics, it's not only about being fast.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyRAC
    That question deserves to be treated with the contempt it deserves....
    I meant "pointwise" he is no different from avarage drivers.

Liked 650 Times in 312 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stefanvv
    Yes, but before BMW "surprised" them
    No they didn't. Prodrive couldn't deliver on their side of the contract and tried to force BMW's hand.

They lost.

Liked 802 Times in 437 Posts
    Don't get me wrong I like this guy but to say is fast or better than other driver you need to have some refference. All those theories about chances, money etc. sound more like exuse. First of all competitive driver finishes rallies, gets points, uses clever tactics, it's not only about being fast.
    As you say 'uses clever tactics' - wasn't that evident. In the power stage win? Either he' s tactically aware or not but the spain stage win was clever or he was quick-you can't say no to both. I'm apalled at the level of ignorance on this thread - the guy won IRC in the only really competitive edition!
    Kris Meeke got fired -PSG so terrified they quit!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I agree hes the fastest driver without a seat, these people who doubt him only watch wrc and havent followed his career, what he did in the irc in 09 was amazing, without a couple of puctures he would had a maximum score for 7 rounds, and was winning rallies hes never been on before! meeke shown in the mini he fast on gravel and tarmac, people say he kept binning it but i remember the mini was problematic, like the throttle sticking open in sardinia, (it was a new car after all). If he was given a chance like ogier, sordo, neuville in the fastest most reliable car, im sure he would be challenging for championships by now. Hanninen and meeke both deserve to be in the wrc, we just need more factory cars available.

Ok Back from the pub and feeling really pee-oh'd as Schalke just beat Arsenal! - so I'll vent my spleen in educating some people who badly need it
    pre-2010 KM had 2 'WRC' drives in "pre-loved" Impreza WRCs - GB '05 and Ireland '07
    So in his first proper drive in a new car (not a pre-sorted C4 / DS3 / Focus or Fiesta. in 6 starts he scored 25 points + av just over 4 .16 per event
    Ostberg 2006-10 competed in the Prodrive engineered Adapta team Impreza (+ 2 S2000 fiesta rides) in 29 WRC events scoring a number of 8th and 9th places
    So he is hardly a novice in WRC when he gets the M-Sport drive in 2011 He does well -88 points in 12 starts (do the math) is not such a fantastic record compared to Meeke given a) his previous experience on many events and b) his 'sorted' machinery. Mads has improved this year and so he should given how much experience in WRC he now has (an example of a 5 year plan that worked )
    Perhaps Thierry Neuville - the great Citroen hope (apart from Chardonnet) is a better comparison. No WRC before 2012. 12 starts - 53 points including the odd visitation to the scenery. So in a factory supported, Loeb-sorted DS3 hes got an average of 4.41 - He looks like he's had his chance and blown it!!
    Kris blew it when he was born, he didn't have a rich Dad! Shame it's not all about talent.

Quote Originally Posted by RJM
    I agree hes the fastest driver without a seat, these people who doubt him only watch wrc and havent followed his career, what he did in the irc in 09 was amazing, without a couple of puctures he would had a maximum score for 7 rounds, and was winning rallies hes never been on before! meeke shown in the mini he fast on gravel and tarmac, people say he kept binning it but i remember the mini was problematic, like the throttle sticking open in sardinia, (it was a new car after all). If he was given a chance like ogier, sordo, neuville in the fastest most reliable car, im sure he would be challenging for championships by now. Hanninen and meeke both deserve to be in the wrc, we just need more factory cars available.
    What has a success in IRC to do with WRC? So far he didn't do anything special in WRC, competing against Kopecky and Hanninen in S2000 it's completly different story. Czech fans could say same things about Kopecky etc. You british fans are so sensitive about your drivers or rallies. Be realistic there are other very often better drivers out there and lack of interest in Meeke by rally teams is for reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Mintexmemory
    As you say 'uses clever tactics' - wasn't that evident. In the power stage win? Either he' s tactically aware or not but the spain stage win was clever or he was quick-you can't say no to both. I'm apalled at the level of ignorance on this thread - the guy won IRC in the only really competitive edition!
    This is one and the only example of he's achiement so far that proves nothing, one power stage win and few spectacular crashes in WRC. Prokop has won JWRC and special stage in S2000 car, why don't you think the same way about him or PG Andersson double JWRC champion?

What has a success in IRC to do with WRC? So far he didn't do anything special in WRC, competing against Kopecky and Hanninen in S2000 it's completly different story. Czech fans could say same things about Kopecky etc. You british fans are so sensitive about your drivers or rallies. Be realistic there are other very often better drivers out there and lack of interest in Meeke by rally teams is for reason.
    They could say the same thing about Kopecky but in the only objective head to head measure of their relative merits he has always been second best to Meeke. So that's one level of achievement delineated. If Skoda didn't 'need' a Czech where would Kopecky have been? Shame there is no Ulster-based car industry (not even Delorean!)