Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Don't forget that Long Beach was originally a Formula 1 race.
    With the qualifying event -- when such things still existed and were required -- being a Formula 5000 race. That the Grand Prix of Long Beach lasted as long as it did as a formula 1 event always amazed me, given that it always seemed to be on the verge of not making the ends meet financially as Bernard Gekko used FOCA as a means to keep upping the ante. Personally, losing F1 at Long Beach was no great loss. Then again, F1 would disappear and I would neither notice or care.

Not very surprised about the New Jersey event, especially given the usual nonsense that is part and parcel of Formula Bernie these days. Nor do I think that Austin will be long for this world for the same reasons. Too bad IndyCar is such a shambles and heading for oblivion since they could probably use a few circuits willing to make a deal....

I can still easily wear the size slacks I wore in 1983...
    Popular memory is not history.... -- Gordon Wood

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Don Capps

I can still easily wear the size slacks I wore in 1983...
    I hate you! You're a good guy otherwise, but I do hate you for that.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    I won't shed a tear.
    I'm not convinced that two races in the US was ever necessary, nor the need for another street circuit .
    I disagree, I was looking forward to this circuit. It was radical and I don't think it would have been your typical slow street circuit.

That said, they are trying to create a circuit fit for Bernie in an area you wouldn't really think it was possible. That, and doing anything in the Metro NY area is ever as simple as it appears.
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    I disagree, I was looking forward to this circuit. It was radical and I don't think it would have been your typical slow street circuit.

That said, they are trying to create a circuit fit for Bernie in an area you wouldn't really think it was possible. That, and doing anything in the Metro NY area is ever as simple as it appears.
    Don't let Newyorkers see you calling New Jersey part of the NY Metropolitan Area.
    Jose Arrambide
    Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition
    Monty Python Flying Circus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior

..............I hope to make the Texas race... maybe next year. I've never been to Austin but I hear it's an interesting, fun place. But I had absolutely no intention of going to the Snooki Grand Prix street race in Joysey anyway.
    A good friend of mine describes Austin as "A wonderful city surrounded by Texas".

Not that I have anything to complain about the Houston Metropolitan Area (very liberal city for Texas standards, museums, opera, ballet. theater companies, symphonic orchestra, sports, very nice people), but Austin is indeed the most liberal city in the state, it is also a weird city, I use weird in the most positive way, people from Austin enjoy the fact that their city is perceived as a weird one.

Austin has a great college scene, which unfortunately I'm old enough not to enjoy, but if you look, you will find that the city has great cuisine and great bars that don't cater to the college crowd, they are not only greaat, they are unpretentious.
    Jose Arrambide
    Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition
    Monty Python Flying Circus

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    Its always a strange idea to have 2 races in one country especially when that country has not had a single race for 5 years.

I wait to see how this years race goes, but I still would be suprised if F1 has 2 races in the US in 2014 and beyond.
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    looks like it might be magny course replacing new jersey, good!
    I hope so, don't like the paul ricard circuit at all
    you can't argue with results.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Well Magny-Cours hasn't exactly produced spectacular racing in the past, but it would be nice to see an event back in the homeland of Formula 1
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti