Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Delta Wing on its side

Looks like that configuration of wheels turns over rather easily: Nissan DeltaWing - Attacked in Atlanta - YouTube
    "Risk sweetens everything" - Peter Revson (1939 - 1974)

Liked 47 Times in 33 Posts
    Nasty accident, they certainly need to do something about roll over protection, not nice seeing the guys head getting thrown about when it dug into the grass. Crazy driving from the Porsche as well

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2
    "I" before "E" except after "C". Weird.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinho
    Nasty accident, they certainly need to do something about roll over protection, not nice seeing the guys head getting thrown about when it dug into the grass. Crazy driving from the Porsche as well
    Indeed so. An avoidable accident. I too was surprised by the apparent lack of roll-over protection — maybe those with more knowledge than I have could enlighten us as to why it's deemed acceptable in this configuration?

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    It appears that the Delta Wing shares one characteristic with an open wheeler, the tendency to go airborne in a side to side hit. the big problem is they're the only car on the track that has that characteristic, for everyone else a side to side bump isn't all that much of an issue.

I hope they got it fixed, I was hoping to see it in action tomorrow.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I don't know, it took a side bump from a faster p1 car at LeMans and didn't flip. One accident isn't empirical evidence, it is a Wild Ass guess....
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    I don't know, it took a side bump from a faster p1 car at LeMans and didn't flip. One accident isn't empirical evidence, it is a Wild Ass guess....
    True, but if you watch the video you can see that the rear wheel climbed up the Porsche's rear fender.

In the race it pretty much avoided the other cars. To my eye, it looked like it's strength was in accelerating out of a corner. It looked to give up a little on turn entry but gained on exit.

I'd be interested to see a gaggle of them racing each other.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Indeed so. An avoidable accident. I too was surprised by the apparent lack of roll-over protection — maybe those with more knowledge than I have could enlighten us as to why it's deemed acceptable in this configuration?
    It has twin roll over bars and rather prominent too.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The event took place at the peak of a hill that was setting up for a downhill right hand turn. In my non engineering fly by the seat of my pants feel of a car that would move the weight towards the right hand side making the left lighter. The hit to delta wing was to the left side and as observed it climbed the fender of the striking vehicle. Combine the forces or the right turn with the impact on the left with the loss of ground effects and it tips over. Just a freak set of circumstances? If you have a car set at maximum performance, "on the edge" how much force would be needed to cause an imbalance regardless of the vehicle desgin. Yes, others don't tip over and that is a concern for driver safety. Another safety concern is the same driver takes out a P1 car during the race.