Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 146 Times in 122 Posts

Roumour: Porsche coming to F1??

Porsche preparing for F1?

Now that's an interesting rumour

It would make sense in a way. A Le Mans program is expensive and may of the results can be sort of used in a potential F1 endeavour. I also doubt that Porsche would leave the playing field to Mercedes as the sole German premium brand in F1, even though Merc has so far done their utmost to embarrass themselves.
    2014 would actually be a sensible choice to enter F1. All the engine manufacturers have to start from scratch and with only three comitted so far, Porsche would surely be a very welcome addition.
    как могу я знать что я думаю, пока не слушал что я говорю

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dj_bytedisaster
    Porsche preparing for F1?

Now that's an interesting rumour

It would make sense in a way. A Le Mans program is expensive and may of the results can be sort of used in a potential F1 endeavour. I also doubt that Porsche would leave the playing field to Mercedes as the sole German premium brand in F1, even though Merc has so far done their utmost to embarrass themselves.
    2014 would actually be a sensible choice to enter F1. All the engine manufacturers have to start from scratch and with only three comitted so far, Porsche would surely be a very welcome addition.
    Le Mans is by far a better alternative for them at the moment. Hopefully they will stay there for many years to come.

Staying too long can backfire. Audi has been dominating Le Mans and endurance racing in general for several years. While winning is a good marketing tool, winning too much can come back to bite you in the arse as people get sick of it.
    Our forum is a classic example. While we have only one pathological Vettel hater at the moment, Garry might be building up a following if Vettel wins another title or two on the trot.
    So I think if Porsche is clever, they'll cash in on some Le Mans wins and then hand over the cars to the privateers, while switching over to F1.

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    I agree. If Vettel wins another one it is time to say bye bye before people get sick of him and his finger.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Staying too long can backfire. Audi has been dominating Le Mans and endurance racing in general for several years. While winning is a good marketing tool, winning too much can come back to bite you in the arse as people get sick of it.
    Our forum is a classic example. While we have only one pathological Vettel hater at the moment, Garry might be building up a following if Vettel wins another title or two on the trot.
    So I think if Porsche is clever, they'll cash in on some Le Mans wins and then hand over the cars to the privateers, while switching over to F1.
    The 2014 rules were in place to support Audi into F1 but Audi did a U turn.

They would rather do Le Mans and quite rightly so as their motorsport programs promotes their relevant technology which is of little benefit in F1. Hybrid technology has greater use in endurance racing which is a view Gordon Murray advocates.

Liked 82 Times in 63 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben
    I agree. If Vettel wins another one it is time to say bye bye before people get sick of him and his finger.
    No. The FIA will simply change the regulations once again to "level the playing field".
    “If everything's under control, you're going too slow.” Mario Andretti

Quote Originally Posted by schmenke
    No. The FIA will simply change the regulations once again to "level the playing field".
    Probably BTCC style reversed grids to get him off pole position

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I'd love to see another German manufacturer in F1, but I doubt it will happen. Didn't Porsche run into major money issues not too long ago?

Probably BTCC style reversed grids to get him off pole position
    Not funny, bro.
    Marco Simoncelli 1987-2011

Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
    This is one of those rumours that comes around every year or two. Can't see it happening until the Le Mans programme is over, and seeing that it won't begin until 2014, that puts it at around 2017 at the earliest, probably.

Mind you, at least under the current rules they can't cock it up by developing a flat-12 that weighs about a ton more than every other engine on the grid. Memories of that disastrous '91 engine must surely have put Porsche off for so long, but enough time has passed by now that they might think about trying again - while drawing on the more successful '60s F1 cars and the '80s TAG Porsche engines and forgetting the Footwork in their PR...
    https://wordpress.com/stats/insights/stugrovesf1.wordpress.com

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    As far as I'm aware, VAG owns 30.9% of Porsche. I wonder then what commercial advantage there is for the two kiddies to be playing in the same paddling pool. Whilst VAG is in Endurance Racing, Porsche probably won't field an entry, so F1 is not as wild a thought as it first looks.

At the moment, it is just rumour but it does give magazines the chance to get excited and hyperventilate into a paper sack.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!