Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts

This would be nice! Honda returns?

Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    Yeah, saw that this morning but seems like it is dependant on certain rule changes. At the moment I think F1 is just too expensive for them. It would be great to see them back in F1 though. They were essentially responsible for Brawn's success in 2009.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    If they come back with a "real" effort, then I would also like to see this. Although I have never owned a Honda, their participation in the 80's and 90's made me have a very positive view of the company and its brands. Back then, had I been in the market for car in a class made by Honda or Acura, I would have certainly considered those brands based partially on that fondness. I'm considering a Honda Ridgeline Sport pickup now. Maybe they'll make a decision that will sway me.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Being a cynic I see nothing new here. A big car maker says if the conditions are right, the rules are good, the costs are low, the marketing opportunities are there and if the tea leaves are aligned the right way then they might think about getting back into F1. Perhaps. Maybe.

The same applies for every car company I can think of, its non-news to me.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    Being a cynic I see nothing new here. A big car maker says if the conditions are right, the rules are good, the costs are low, the marketing opportunities are there and if the tea leaves are aligned the right way then they might think about getting back into F1. Perhaps. Maybe.

The same applies for every car company I can think of, its non-news to me.
    I have to agree it looks like a bit of a "slow news day" story. All the direct quotes from Yamamoto are about a potential return at some unspecified point in the future. I wouldn't be surprised if the "considering a return in 2014" bit is a complete fabrication. I'm not familiar with that particular site, but it looks to me like their standard of journalism is more PlanetF1 than Autosport.
    Has anyone seen the interview in Autocar that's referred to in the piece?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If the current engine formula remained, Honda could come back very quickly. I mean they've got a pretty good V8 engine in the warehouse, other manufacturers haven't developed that much after they left because of the engine freeze.
    “Leave me alone!”

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    VERSTAPPEN: ‘If I’d let Sainz past, dad would’ve kicked me in the nuts!’

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    I think the last statement summarizes the article: “This is my [Yoshiharu Yamamoto] personal view – not that of Honda – but I feel the first thing we must do is win in the WTCC, and then perhaps we can look further afield.”

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    A few weeks ago I was telling a friend to watch out for Honda's return to F1 in the new engine rules, after all it's a turbo engine with fuel restrictions, and those of us who go back a few years will know that Honda dominated both F1 and Indycar / CART / Champcar racing with turbo engines running to fuel restrictions.
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

Liked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Stolen from another forum:

McLaren gets new Honda turbo,
    signs Coca Cola as main sponsor (Vodafone leaves),
    cars become red and white colored,
    Perez wins 3 championships.
    Hamilton cries into Ross Brawn's arms.
    Form is Temporary, Class is Permanent