Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Roy
    the thought that the reason that F1 is on an obscure cable channel is due to the work of NASCAR is laughable.
    I'd agree, considering that four or five F1 races were shown on CBS last year, albeit tape delayed by five hours.
    I'm choosing Joey Logano as my avatar. I feel he is a worthy ally.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tstran17_88
    I'd agree, considering that four or five F1 races were shown on CBS last year, albeit tape delayed by five hours.
    And from 2001 to 2006 ABC/ESPN did not have NASCAR, so the thought that there was pressure from NASCAR to keep F1 off the Disney family of channels is completely illogical.
    DVR . . . . . Life is too short to watch commercials.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by call_me_andrew
    ......or keeping F1 on an obscure cable channel.
    oh oh.. Is that the black helicopters I hear?......

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And from 2001 to 2006 ABC/ESPN did not have NASCAR, so the thought that there was pressure from NASCAR to keep F1 off the Disney family of channels is completely illogical.
    Disney doesn't enter into it. But if it wasn't for the Brickyard 400 and the USGP, Tony George would no longer be able to fund the IRL and American open-wheel racing wouldn't have gone the way of Terri Schiavo.

It's not only illogical it's . . . . well . . . I'll leave it at that. Bernie Ecclestone has the right to negotiate with any broadcaster he would like to. To think that he has to kiss the France Family's ring just doesn't make sense.
    Bernie doesn't have to do ****. He just has to cash that check the France family wrote him.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Disney doesn't enter into it. But if it wasn't for the Brickyard 400 and the USGP, Tony George would no longer be able to fund the IRL and American open-wheel racing wouldn't have gone the way of Terri Schiavo.
    What in the wide world of sports does that have to do with the discussion??? I thought the discussion was centering around your assertion that the France Family was "keeping Formula One on an obscure cable channel". (See Below) BTW, I've attended each and every F1 race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and in my estimation, the USGP is at best, breaking even finanically for the Speedway.

Well that's fine, except that NASCAR has done everything in it's power to take out its competition. Wether it's funding the IRL or keeping F1 on an obscure cable channel.
    Bernie doesn't have to do ****. He just has to cash that check the France family wrote him.
    What check is the France family writing for Bernie????

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RaceFanStan
    Contrary to what Mark in Oshawa is saying I will try to make my point again.

The major point I am making is that NASCAR sets the rules & procedures !
    A person can take it as NASCAR presents it or move on.
    Or... they can discuss it rationally, as some of us are attempting to do here. After almost 20 years of posting to message boards, I've found that's the basic purpose of these types of forums. Otherwise it's just a bunch of swingin' richards slapping each other on the back, nodding their heads in general agreement, and that gets pretty boring after about a week. It starts to take on a sort of ghey feel too.

It gets really tiresome to see certain people constantly moaning against NASCAR.
    Yes, I may question a person's fan loyalty due to their constant belly-aching about anything NASCAR related.
    I think we have been infiltrated by some open-wheel promoters <insert: OK, who took the pee in Stan's cereal?!> who would love to see NASCAR struggling.
    It's unfortunate that you feel the need to paint those of us who grew up with a preference for open wheel racing with that broad, prejudiced brush, Stan. IMO, doing that weakens the point you said you were trying to make.

As long as there are men of vision in control @ NASCAR, it ain't gonna happen !
    Whatever form of motorsport one prefers, I think you'll find that most people admire the way that NASCAR has been built up over several decades into a strong and popular form of motorsport.

The bottom line @ NASCAR is : take it as it is or look elsewhere !
    I'll choose Option #3: watch, enjoy and discuss, whether there is agreement or disagreement.

NASCAR is doing everything it can to make the racing better while also making it safer.
    NASCAR has learned from the tragedy of February 2001 & hopes to prevent it ever happening again.
    And that's a good thing.

I think NASCAR is doing a great job & IMO too many people are looking for faults in NASCAR.
    I also think NASCAR is doing a great job. But with success comes criticism, constructive or not. That's just how life works.

Be a NASCAR fan & be part of the solution or be a boo-bird & cry about everything NASCAR does.
    It is each person's individual choice.
    So, you're saying true fans agree with everything that NASCAR does and shouldn't offer even constructive criticism? I guess I'm not a true fan of ANY type of motorsport then.

BTW, here is something for the boo-birds :
    Since you're slagging on open wheel formula car fans, wouldn't whine & cheese be more appropriate? :
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BobbyC
    Another factor: Keep in mind the sampled homes changes depending on the cycle of changes by Dutch media giant VNU, which establishes the television ratings based on a sampling system.

If an NCAA men's basketball tournament game is a big draw, the Big Dance will usually win that weekend, since Bristol is up against the Regional Finals.
    Thank you, Bobby. A theory not based around emotional rhetoric.

You're saying there could be some bias in the measurement system. It's quite possible that you're onto something with that.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What in the wide world of sports does that have to do with the discussion??? I thought the discussion was centering around your assertion that the France Family was "keeping Formula One on an obscure cable channel". (See Below) BTW, I've attended each and every F1 race at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, and in my estimation, the USGP is at best, breaking even finanically for the Speedway.

What check is the France family writing for Bernie????
    Television revenues! It's all television revenues! If F1 could be as popular in the U.S. as NASCAR, it's profits would increase by about 10%. As long as NASCAR can make up some of that difference, F1 doesn't have to try and force out NASCAR. It's like paying protection money to a bully or the mafia (only there is no mafia...)

Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    It's unfortunate that you feel the need to paint those of us who grew up with a preference for open wheel racing with that broad, prejudiced brush, Stan. IMO, doing that weakens the point you said you were trying to make.
    You forgot to mention those of us that grew up with a preference for NASCAR, but hate what NASCAR became.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Television revenues! It's all television revenues! If F1 could be as popular in the U.S. as NASCAR, it's profits would increase by about 10%. As long as NASCAR can make up some of that difference, F1 doesn't have to try and force out NASCAR. It's like paying protection money to a bully or the mafia (only there is no mafia...)
    ???????????????????????????????????????

That still doesn't make any sense to me.

Drop it down about half a dozen grade levels.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Bernie thinks that he should be paid billions of dollars by a USA TV company to show F1.

Bernie could easily strike a deal to have any of the big 4 TV comapnies how F1. If the teams were in charge of the TV deal, I think they'd cut a better deal with a TV company. The teams need sponsors and the teams would whatever it takes to make their product more appealing to a sponsor. If that means paying a US TV network to show F1, then it would happen.

As far as bernie is concerned, Bernie will deliver in the USA if someone is prepared to pay him lots of money.