Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Ignorantly I've always regarded Christian Fittipaldi as a great F1 reject ie. he was average at best.

Nor did he convince me much in CART. I'd always thought he should have gotten more out his car considering he drove for Newman Haas for much of time.

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    But I think he compared well with Michael Andretti, especially in 1999-2000. He was a race winner and one of the best qualifiers. But then I wonder if Andretti was getting slow due to not being as young as he used to be. Michael always easily beat him in the points.

It seemed the other way round in F1 as Christian always seemed to get good points finishes considering his qualifying. He was also an F3000 champion.
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.

Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty
    But this is history being discussed here.
    It is an expression of opinion and perceptions, which is not the same as history.
    Popular memory is not history.... -- Gordon Wood

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rjbetty
    But I think he compared well with Michael Andretti, especially in 1999-2000. He was a race winner and one of the best qualifiers. But then I wonder if Andretti was getting slow due to not being as young as he used to be. Michael always easily beat him in the points.

It seemed the other way round in F1 as Christian always seemed to get good points finishes considering his qualifying. He was also an F3000 champion.
    He was a bit of a 1990's Piquet Jr and F3000 champion wasn't a great accolade.

Newman Haas were like McLaren and Penske. They exist to win and Christian lacked a killer instinct when Michael took all the plaudits.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Capps
    It is an expression of opinion and perceptions, which is not the same as history.
    Examining driver history is generally subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Examining driver history is generally subjective.
    Actually, examining a driver's record or past -- history -- can be quite objective. Discussing that record and/or the driver, however, is generally quite subjective.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Come on folks! let's not get into semantic arguments!
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    Come on folks! let's not get into semantic arguments!
    What argument?

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    It's always hard to judge how good someone was, particularly in Formula 1 because of how much certain situations make a difference, be it engines, tyres, car, etc. Brundle and Herbert can both point at injuries and not getting the breaks as a lack of success. People handle situations better than others, an example being the Schumacher / Rosberg combination at Mercedes now. Before Rosberg was beating Schumacher, now it's the other way around because of whatever situation that car on those tyres is doing.

As for Wendgliner, yes I think he was good, did seem to make a few mistakes from time to time and the accident definately made a difference to him. The late Sid Watkins used to always say it took 2 years to recover from a brain injury. Karl was great in GT cars later.

As for Fittipaldi, well I think he was disappointing and never got the best out of his cars. Certainly in Indycars / CART he failed to deliver for sure. Honestly there has only been one great Fittipaldi and it was Emerson.

I would suggest, if you have the cash, buying the Motorsport Magazine archive DVDs as they are good race reports and let you in on the behind the scenes stuff. The Autocourse annuals are always great as well. Autocourse themselves are starting to make DVD archives of them so that's worth getting. I'm really into the history of F1 and I recently managed to get hold of the 1986 to 1989 Autocourse books and I'm learning stuff that I never knew! One particularly amusing point was that the March's designed in 1988 by a certain Adrian Newey were the quickest things through fast corners but struggled with low speed corner understeer - exactly the same complaint was leveled at the 2009/10 Red Bull!
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxwH7kTwwoU

Rjbetty

I have a copy of the 1994 race and might watch it again thanks to your interest in Fittipaldi's race.

I also found this copy on You Tube. Have a look for yourself and watch christian have a great race.

Its fun if you have a free evening to watch some of these old races and see it first hand.

Albeit coverage back then was not very widespread. No graphics of further down the field and often dont see much of tailenders but there you go
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 169 Times in 131 Posts
    Oh that is fantastic! Thank you aki13!
    SPAM - Going off topic to give you the deals you don't want.