Quote Originally Posted by gm99
I think you're spot on with your impression of Karl. I have had the pleasure of meeting him a few times, mostly at charity karting events, and he is the nicest fellow you could possibly meet, never refusing an autograph or a picture. He's especially good with kids.

Talent-wise, I think he was at least at Frentzen's level and without the accident, would probably have achieved similiar levels of success, some podiums and maybe - given the right car - a win or two. He probably lacked the killer instinct of a Schumacher, Alonso or Hamilton, so I doubt he would have been a championship contender. Although of course it is worth noting that in German F3 in 1989, he beat both his Mercedes team-mates Frentzen and M. Schumacher to the title.
He does seem like a really cool guy. Wow it would have been fantastic if he'd gone on to be as good as you say. I'd certainly like to believe that, but the issue I have is that in the first 3 races of '94 he was outqualified by Frentzen, who was a rookie. So unless there were any extenuating circumstances, I'm afraid the impression I get is that Frentzen had to be the better driver...