I've been wanting to find out some people's opinions about a few former racers. I always enjoy hearing what anyone has to say and why.

I only started watching F1 around 1997-98 so missed what went before.

I wanted to see what people think about drivers like Karl Wendlinger and Christian Fittipaldi.

Wendlinger did well in an ancient March in 1992 that had only scored 1pt in 1990 and 2 in 1991. He came 4th in Canada.

Joining Sauber in 1993 he seemed to really shine, and was often right up there battling with Senna and others, like at Donington.
For 1994, all I know is he qualified 7th 19th and 10th in those races to rookie Frentzen's 5th, 10th and 7th. He appeared to average maybe 0.5sec off Frentzen on speed.
However he did finish 6th in Brazil and 4th on that day at Imola, 3 places ahead of Frentzen. Does anyone know how he managed to get that 4th? Was it under the safety car, or was he just quicker than Frentzen in race-trim full stop?

How good was Wendlinger? Would you rate him ahead of say Mika Salo, Olivier Panis, Johnny Herbert, Martin Brundle or Mark Blundell?

Also, I've been really wanting to know for a long time just how Fittipaldi managed to finish 6th in Canada that year, in a race where both Williams, Ferraris, Benettons and Barrichello finished. It looks like a very impressive result indeed, and it was a shame he was disqualified. how did he jump to 6th though? Was he also helped by the safety car?

I want to know what people think of Fittipaldi. He seemed to be quite a bit off the pace in qualifying compared to Morbidelli, who outqualified him 10-6. However, while Morbidelli was erratic only finishing about 3 races and scoring as many points, Christian Scored 2 4th places and seemed to be the better racer. I hear that when Christian and Morbidelli lined up 6th and 7th on the grid at Monte-Carlo, Morbidelli crashed with Martini at turn 1 and Christian was able to benefit from Hill and Hakkinen's collision to run 4th, but he hounded the Ferraris for a large part of the race. It looks like he was faster and would have been on for a big result if he hadn't retired.

Fittipaldi was less eperienced than Morbidelli though so maybe he would have closed the gap in qual in later years.

Please, I am eager to hear what others think.