Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Super Hi-Vision 8K TV standard approved by UN agency

Super Hi-Vision 8K TV standard approved by UN agency

A new high-resolution television format has been approved by the UN's communication standards setting agency.

Broadcasts in 8K will offer a resolution of 7,680 by 4,320 pixels - roughly the equivalent of a 32 megapixel photo.
    That is 16 times as sharp as current HD TVs offering about 2MP resolutions.

Japanese broadcaster NHK showed off the technology in London during the Olympics, where audiences said it gave them a sense of being at the events. The firm has developed three cameras that can capture the higher resolution - which it calls Super Hi-Vision - at 60 frames per second but aims to double that to 120 frames per second.

By contrast the BBC currently broadcasts HD TV programmes at 25 fps.

"The experience of viewing and listening to live sports and entertainment coverage is dramatically enhanced by Super Hi-Vision, and Ovum envisages it representing the logical next step in TV transmission technology, following on from regular HD," wrote the consultancies' analyst Jonathan Doran in a report.
    I've had HDTV's for years, but have never bothered to subscribe to HD service on my DirecTV - I've just not felt that it was worth the extra money, considering how little TV I watch. But with this advancement (if I'm still around when it becomes affordable), maybe I will finally upgrade. I bet F1 would look great on this technology!
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Don't let marketing fool you. They usually want to sell you something you do not need.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro