Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts

Post Apple triumphs over Samsung, awarded over $1 billion damages

Apple triumphs over Samsung, awarded over $1 billion damages

Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:37pm EDT

(Reuters) - Apple Inc. scored a sweeping legal victory over Samsung on Friday as a U.S. jury found the Korean company had copied critical features of the hugely popular iPhone and iPad and awarded the U.S. company $1.051 billion in damages.

The verdict -- which came much sooner than expected -- could lead to an outright ban on sales of key Samsung products and will likely solidify Apple's dominance of the exploding mobile computing market.

A number of companies that sell smartphones based on Google's Android operating system may now face further legal challenges from Apple, a company that is already among the largest and most profitable in business history.

Shares in Apple, which just this week became the biggest company by market value in history, climbed almost 2 percent to a record high of $675 in after-hours trade.

Brian Love, a Santa Clara law school professor, described it as a crushing victory for Apple: "This is the best-case scenario Apple could have hoped for."

Needless to say, Samsung will appeal. But in light of how AAPL has reacted in after-hours trading, Apple running the table was pretty much unexpected by the market.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Jag_Warrior
    Needless to say, Samsung will appeal. But in light of how AAPL has reacted in after-hours trading, Apple running the table was pretty much unexpected by the market.
    Interesting isn't it? The court delivered a verdict that no one was expecting. Wouldn't be the first verdict that favors Apple to be later overturned. So stay tuned.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    iCaramba!!!!!
    Without sharing there can be no justice,
    Without justice there can be no peace,
    Without peace there can be no future.
    please click here once a day: http://www.thehungersite.com

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Something very ironic that I didn't realize when I made the OP: today is the one year anniversary of Tim Cook taking over as the CEO of Apple.

A billion dollars or a card & cake? I think I'd take the billion dollars.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 673 Times in 470 Posts
    Well of course they won in court Jag. See when you have never invented anything it's always really easy to win these types of patent cases. It's as easy as telling the court you made it first, then they give you a load of money.

As a matter of fact, I'm going to court to state I was thinking about posting the thread first, and then see if they will award me your Apple stocks. Let me just make a call to the judge real quick and set it up...

Wait for all the haters to come crawling out of the woodwork.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Without sharing there can be no justice,
    Without justice there can be no peace,
    Without peace there can be no future.
    please click here once a day: http://www.thehungersite.com

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by airshifter
    Wait for all the haters to come crawling out of the woodwork.
    Wonder whether a South Korean jury would have reached the same conclusion

At least my Apple stock is doing good. I'll have to watch my Samsung and Google though
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 317 Times in 182 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donKey jote
    Wonder whether a South Korean jury would have reached the same conclusion

At least my Apple stock is doing good. I'll have to watch my Samsung and Google though
    No they didn't. Samsung won over Apple in South Korea earlier on the week.
    Samsung wins Korean battle in Apple patent war - Business - CBC News
    S. Korea court awards wins to Samsung, Apple | ZDNet

Quite expected. Apple manipulates the evidences and the American court looks the other way.

Apple May Have Manipulated Evidence Against Samsung in Patent War - International Business Times
    Dutch Site Finds Manipulated Evidence in Apple Samsung Filing | News | The Mac Observer
    Apple files inaccurate evidence in Dutch Samsung case - ComputerworldUK.com

I think Apple will only loose from this in the end. Huge negative publicity which will benefit their rivals, after all there are a world outside the USA.
    ...Funny how ev'rything was roses when we held on to the guns...

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BleAivano
    The Korean court blocked sales of both Apple and Samsung products. That was quite a sensible decision IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by BleAivano
    Quite expected. Apple manipulates the evidences and the American court looks the other way.

Apple May Have Manipulated Evidence Against Samsung in Patent War - International Business Times
    Dutch Site Finds Manipulated Evidence in Apple Samsung Filing | News | The Mac Observer
    Apple files inaccurate evidence in Dutch Samsung case - ComputerworldUK.com

I think Apple will only loose from this in the end. Huge negative publicity which will benefit their rivals, after all there are a world outside the USA.
    Where do we begin?

First, the 'manipulated evidence' you refer to is an altered aspect ratio on a single photo, one of tens of thousands of bits of unbelievably petty details that are submitted to court. Given that in the court cases real samples of both Samsung and Apple products were submitted to the judge and jury do you think they'd have placed greater emphasis on a photo or the real products in front of them?

Secondly Europe is not the US, they are two separate entities. The articles you link to refer to a court case in Europe, not the current US case.

As to who loses out of this case and others, frankly I think the consumer comes worst off as we may be denied certain products if the courts decide to ban them. Also as pointed out by an American senior judge in a well written article I read recently the judicial system also suffers as they have to trudge through pages and pages of rubbish to sort out what is effectively a marketing ploy by these companies to block sales by their rivals.

But in this individual case I believe Samsung loses. Not only has it been hit by a big fine, as a components supplier for other companies it does not want to get the reputation that it will copy technologies from its clients.

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    As to who loses out of this case and others, frankly I think the consumer comes worst off as we may be denied certain products if the courts decide to ban them. Also as pointed out by an American senior judge in a well written article I read recently the judicial system also suffers as they have to trudge through pages and pages of rubbish to sort out what is effectively a marketing ploy by these companies to block sales by their rivals.

But in this individual case I believe Samsung loses. Not only has it been hit by a big fine, as a components supplier for other companies it does not want to get the reputation that it will copy technologies from its clients.
    yep
    United in diversity !!!