Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Which rally should they add to the WRC-calendar?

This has been on my mind a couple of weeks and now I decided to bring it in here. What would be a great country where the rallycaravan would compete in your opinion? I would suggest rally America in the district of Grand Canyon for example, as it would bring together drivers like Ken Block, Travis Pastrana, Dave Mirra, Chris Duplessis, Tanner Foust etc. and also some non-American rallycross stars. The rallycrossers and WRC-stars would have a great competition between each other and they would also perform some well-controlled (does that word even exist?) stunts during the race. Plus it would also help making rally even more popular and more familiar for the American people. What would you think?

BTW: Sorry if this kind of topic already exists.

Liked 1,389 Times in 447 Posts
    Czech Republic. It Mlada Boleslav or Zlín or something else, but those fans absolutely deserve a WRC round and it would be perfect for visitors as well. Also, if their local drivers would enter, they'd mix the results nicely I think, at least in S2000 and PWRC.
    Photos: rallirinki.kuvat.fi | Twitter: @HartusvuoriWRC

Liked 1,170 Times in 791 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Arska
    This has been on my mind a couple of weeks and now I decided to bring it in here. What would be a great country where the rallycaravan would compete in your opinion? I would suggest rally America in the district of Grand Canyon for example, as it would bring together drivers like Ken Block, Travis Pastrana, Dave Mirra, Chris Duplessis, Tanner Foust etc. and also some non-American rallycross stars. The rallycrossers and WRC-stars would have a great competition between each other and they would also perform some well-controlled (does that word even exist?) stunts during the race. Plus it would also help making rally even more popular and more familiar for the American people. What would you think?

BTW: Sorry if this kind of topic already exists.
    That's great idea IMO.

I want to say "Sliven", because I'm from here and there are great tarmac stages around which has been major part of the famous european rally "Zlatni" in 80's and 90's. But I'm only a dreamer, realisticly I don't see this happening as there are couple of well known tarmac european rallies which already have really good bases.

In general I think otherwise - rally Brasil (or South Africa) looks also great option as these have never been in WRC, would be interesting to watch, but as you said in USA the opportunities would be much better for local drivers also. How are the roads there? Very fast and flowing dusty stages?
    "With that car, your brain can actually never keep up"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4IRMYuE1hI

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tommeke_B
    What you mention would be similar to a boxing match between actors and professional boxers... There are no true top rallydrivers in America, if one would get top 10 it would be a huge prestation. Also I doubt if Americans would be really interested in it, if it doesn't explode it's often not spectacular enough (without wanting to talk too general).

BTW: There's a similar topic already.
    OK, maybe I overstated with the Rallycross vs. WRC thing. I guess they both would have their own competitions. When it comes to interestingness, I think there would be however enough spectators to make an event in a country that big + Block and the others definitely attract some spectators. And if that's not enough, there would be a Freestyle motocross-show and people could follow the rally on screen. And I remembered that I had maybe seen a topic about this somewhere but I wasn't sure so I made this.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    While North America is a populair suggestion, I just cannot see it succeed without it being Americanized (which the op pictured), and that's no good imo.

Africa needs a round, preferably Safari, but realistically South Africa.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Josti
    While North America is a populair suggestion, I just cannot see it succeed without it being Americanized (which the op pictured), and that's no good imo.

Africa needs a round, preferably Safari, but realistically South Africa.
    But there are already events like Rally in the 100 Acre Wood, are those Americanized somehow?

Liked 105 Times in 53 Posts
    I put it to you (as an expat American) that they are not Americanized enough - hence why it is a grassroots pursuit in the USA and not full of global sponsors and hundred-thousand-strong crowds. If you want WRC-sized sponsors to benefit from a rally enough to want to sign on, I imagine you're on the right track imagining it as a multi-discipline festival thing, with lots of other (moto/supercross, quads, buggies, rallycross) type events happening around the superspecials when the WRC cars are out in the countryside and a decently major TV deal (ESPN?) to cover the rally itself, while keeping crowds who don't wanna hike 5 miles from the nearest access point to see the rally from the SS's.

I know in NZ they do this, put the rallycars around a SSS that carries a bunch of more local events throughout the rest of the day - probably other WRC rallies too. And while I'm not thrilled at the idea of an "X-Games WRC rally" I think that's the only way it's coming back, unless Ken Block starts beating Loeb, Hirvonen and Latvala and making US headlines.

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Baltic rally. There was a rumor that it would be good for the sport. The roads are great too and a lot of fans over here

Liked 1,369 Times in 712 Posts
    We need one more winter rally. It can be in North America or in one of the Baltic countries.

Liked 16 Times in 13 Posts
    After visiting Rally Estonia, I'd like to say "Rally Baltic", structure 1˝+1˝ days, first in Latvia and then Estonia. Maybe Lithuania also, but liasons could become a bit too long...

Also Czech Republic, no doubt. One of their more technical rallies would do fine in WRC. Though, imho it would require Alsace or Germany being dropped from the calendar. Not sure about USA... Brazil and China could have an event just because of their growing potential.
    Satakymppi, oikee yks