Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'll grant you the fact that they should have all learnt the skills in their previous careers but many of them have been in F1 for a long time and will have to re-gain that skill all over again. Drivers like Barachello, Trulli and Fisichella probably can't remember the last time they drove a racing car without traction control and it is like anything else, if you get used to doing something one way and then have to change to an old way, it takes a bit of time to get used to the old ways again.
    :ninja: silent and deadly :ninja:

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't think Rubens and Fissi and probably Trulli (sorry Andrea), will have to remember how to drive a F1 car without TC next year, neither with TC.

At least two of them won't be driving a F1 car anymore.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    I thought Trulli has a contract for next year.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    I thought Trulli has a contract for next year.
    Yep, barring a seemingly unlikely injury or fallout from within the team, he'll be there until the end of 2009.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleeper
    Is there any difference besides the engine note, and the fact that we all know that GP2 cars can get sideways under power quite a bit? If TC gets banned the only difference is that drivers will have to make a change in the way they feed in the throttle, a skill they should all have learnt anyway in the juniour formulas. The drivers in both series are just driving to the limit of their respective machinery, in F1 at the moment that just means mashing the throttle when they come out of a tight corner and letting the TC do the work, but it doesnt mean they dont all have the skills to controle wheelspin.
    There'll be some power-oversteer. Don't know how blatant this will be because the cars produce tremendous amounts of grip these days. These days you have to pay attention to the onboard footage to get a good idea of the skill involved which means there'll be more steering input exiting corners, not just throttle input.

I don't think people are bothered whether the cars go sideways or not, just glad and respectful that its the drivers doing the hard work, not the ECU.

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    There'll be some power-oversteer. Don't know how blatant this will be because the cars produce tremendous amounts of grip these days. These days you have to pay attention to the onboard footage to get a good idea of the skill involved which means there'll be more steering input exiting corners, not just throttle input.

I don't think people are bothered whether the cars go sideways or not, just glad and respectful that its the drivers doing the hard work, not the ECU.
    Oh, there should be power oversteer, expecially at the exits of slower corners - where aero grip has the least effect. There would be less effect somewhere like Eau Rouge, where the cars are going really fast.

As a racing fan, power oversteer =

ClarkFan
    "Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect." - Samuel Clemens

Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    I remain constant in my advocation of the banning all on-board computers.
    When in doubt, run in circles, scream and shout

Liked 26 Times in 26 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by CarlMetro
    Drivers like Barachello, Trulli and Fisichella probably can't remember the last time they drove a racing car without traction control and it is like anything else, if you get used to doing something one way and then have to change to an old way, it takes a bit of time to get used to the old ways again.
    At the Canadian GP in 2001, during a wet qualifying session, Rubens Barrichello managed to spin his Ferrari exiting the hairpin. When asked how could this happen with TC he said:
    "Because the system glitched. I nailed the throttle as if I had traction control - and suddenly I hadn't! That was when I really understood what traction control did, believe me! And I thought, 'We're all going to forget how to drive...'"
    Riccardo Patrese - 256GPs 1977-1993