Page 1 of 38 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts

London 2012 results and comments only (no politics)

So what you guys expect from your country ? how many medals ? what's you fave sport discipline ? who will spectated this, when and where ?

I want some answer now ! :
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Liked 311 Times in 207 Posts
    btw first thing I expect...Italy to kick as many spaniards as possible
    When you're tired of rallying...you're tired of life

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Brita... Sorry, we're supposed to call them "Team GB", has a decent shot at beating the Bejing medal haul. I'm not sure how much advantage there is in being the host nation (Nigel Mansell famously reckoned it made him faster at Silverstone) but it certainly must be a factor.

As for watching it, we're lucky that the BBC will have 20-something HD channels showing pretty much every minute of action, so I might be glued to the tellybox for most of the fortnight.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 177 Times in 122 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pino
    btw first thing I expect...Italy to kick as many spaniards as possible
    maybe they'll actually do better at that sport than at kicking a football
    United in diversity !!!

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    I'm not sure how much advantage there is in being the host nation (Nigel Mansell famously reckoned it made him faster at Silverstone) but it certainly must be a factor.
    In terms of numbers, it's worth about 20% of the medal tally:

Hosts with the most: why home advantage brings more Olympic medals | euronews, Sport
    Since 1948 the USSR, Spain, Mexico, Italy, Greece, Finland, the USA, China and Australia all enjoyed their biggest medal hauls on home turf. UK Sport, which distributes money to sports in the United Kingdom, has made a record British medal count its stated target and many believe it will reach that target.

The BBC World Service made mention of this on Sportsworld. Someone bothered to look at the medal tallies and it seems to be a statistical advantage but that might also be because the host nation has comparatively more athletes.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pino
    So what you guys expect from your country ? how many medals ? what's you fave sport discipline ? who will spectated this, when and where ?

I want some answer now ! :
    I'm HOPING for the Brits to relax, sit back and enjoy the spectacle however many medals we win.

I'm EXPECTING Brits to whine and whinge about the cost, the effect on commuting in London, the corruption and commercial aspects.

Generally speaking I'm not interested in the Olympics but I do think we'll do better than at Beijing, and hopefully some of the Olympic spirit will rub off on people. I work about 30-40 minutes drive from the Olympics but it feels like its happening in a different country.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    I'm HOPING for the Brits to relax, sit back and enjoy the spectacle however many medals we win.

I'm EXPECTING Brits to whine and whinge about the cost, the effect on commuting in London, the corruption and commercial aspects.
    Why is the latter a bad thing?

As a sports enthusiast I would like, once in a while, to be able to enjoy a sport or sporting event without feeling guilty for so doing. I can't with F1, for obvious reasons like Bahrain, Ecclestone, etc. I can't with golf because, in some quarters, it is undoubtedly sexist. And I can't with the Olympics because there are significant aspects of its staging to which I object mightily.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    GB will win gold in all events in which the competitors sit down.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    As a sports enthusiast I would like, once in a while, to be able to enjoy a sport or sporting event without feeling guilty for so doing. I can't with F1, for obvious reasons like Bahrain, Ecclestone, etc. I can't with golf because, in some quarters, it is undoubtedly sexist. And I can't with the Olympics because there are significant aspects of its staging to which I object mightily.
    Sure, there are many sports and sporting events with a dark history or political background.

The thing is though that those negative connotations are linked to the organisation of the sport or event and not the often spectacular sporting achievements made by the athletes themselves. Its possible to separate the two and enjoy the sporting side for what it is and thats exactly what we should be doing.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Malbec
    Sure, there are many sports and sporting events with a dark history or political background.

The thing is though that those negative connotations are linked to the organisation of the sport or event and not the often spectacular sporting achievements made by the athletes themselves. Its possible to separate the two and enjoy the sporting side for what it is and thats exactly what we should be doing.
    All fair enough, though I still have my doubts as to whether the UK should be hosting the Games at all.