Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Anybody concerned about this??

congress is attempting to cut funds for military sponsorships of nascar teams.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mac miller
    congress is attempting to cut funds for military sponsorships of nascar teams.
    No

They are spending your money and mine. While I am a race fan, I would prefer they spend money on other things, or even better, spend less.
    I read it on the internet, so it must be true

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    The military of any country shouldn't be spending on sponsorship at all IMO.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    I doesn't seem NASCAR's male fan demographic is concurrent with the recruiting needs of the US armed forces. Making allocating that money on NASCAR team sponsorship seem a total waste.
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum
    No

They are spending your money and mine. While I am a race fan, I would prefer they spend money on other things, or even better, spend less.
    +1
    Kyle Busch #18 M&M's Toyota Camry
    Dario Franchitti #10 Target Honda Dallara DW12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by beachbum
    No

Like body armor for our troops serving overseas. And for the military vehicles they are inside of.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Nem14
    I doesn't seem NASCAR's male fan demographic is concurrent with the recruiting needs of the US armed forces. Making allocating that money on NASCAR team sponsorship seem a total waste.
    ummm if the demographic isn't on patriotic young guys who populate the stands at a NASCAR weekend with their hands over their hearts when the anthem is played, I would like to know what sports demographic WOULD encourage more enlistment? They sure as hell are not sponsoring kids at the spelling be, or the polo championships where a bunch of rich liberals hang out and discuss how George W. Bush destroyed America.

Motorsports was getting their promotional dollars because most race crowds, particularly in NASCAR tend to be more conservative and pro military. Now one can argue on this being right or not, but the Armed Services in most free nations where there is no draft will spend money to advertise to keep their enlistments up. Racing is advertising, pure and simple and the only reason this was on the floor of the US Congress because someone on the Democratic side of the house was horrified that anyone would be dumb enough to join the military based on them actually spending advertising dollars. If the pinhead congress members were as concerned about every dollar they spent as much as the ad dollars spent on racing sponsorships, the US wouldn't be owned by the Chinese......

You can debate all you want on whether the US Miltary should advertise in racing but the reality is they did it because they were seeing some results and would adjust how they advertised based on marketing and research. Hell, Canada's military sponsored a car in the NASCAR Canadian Tire Series for a while, mainly because the guy driving was actually a military member who did this on the side. It WORKS....and if it doesn't, they will spend it somewhere else, but they will spend the money to keep up their enlistment numbers. This was made a political football by people too stupid to understand a volunteer military needs to attract as many possible candidates as possible...
    "Water for my horses, beer for my men and mud for my turtle".

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Not in the US, so won't comment on the political situation as such, but from a demographic point of view, I can see the fit. If you want to go beyond the obvious stuff (large male audience for starters), you have the whole subtext of success in motorsport being all about teamwork, strategy and split second decision making, not to mention the engineering aspect. Might not be an especially subtle approach, but then it's not a subtle sport.
    No longer active on this forum

Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark in Oshawa
    ummm if the demographic isn't on patriotic young guys who populate the stands at a NASCAR weekend with their hands over their hearts when the anthem is played, I would like to know what sports demographic WOULD encourage more enlistment? .
    What would you estimate is the average age of NASCAR's male and female fans?

NASCAR Sponsors RaceStat

Will the real NASCAR fan, please stand up...............................

According to the study, nationwide NASCAR fans can be described as predominately males (78%), married (73%), with an average age of 42 years, who owns a home (81%), with 3.4 cars per household. The median household income range is between $35,000 and $50,000 and almost all are employed full time (87%).
    US Military Enlistment Standards -- Age Limits

Army - 35 (must ship to basic training prior to 35th birthday. The Army experimented with raising the age limit to age 42 for a brief period of time, but effective April 1st, 2011, the Army has reverted to the lower age limit.
    Air Force - 27
    Navy - 34
    Marines - 28
    Coast Guard - Age 27. Note: up to age 32 for those selected to attend A-school directly upon enlistment (this is mostly for prior service).
    The secret to winning races: More Throttle, Less Brake.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    The military of any country shouldn't be spending on sponsorship at all IMO.
    The US military forces are all voluntary and recruitment is a big part in maintaining that. I believe the racing sponsorships are a part of that. But I don't think racing sponsorships effectiveness at gaining new recruits is worth the cost. I too think the money could be better spent than the way it is in racing.