Page 2 of 44 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Liked 653 Times in 512 Posts
    I have only watched Sky this year. As I am a big fan of Martin Brundle and enjoyed his efforts on ITV and BBC, and wanted to follow him and their full coverage.

That said I do think its pretty even. I have watched Sky this year but am not bias one way or the other, beacuse ultimately I would have prefered F1 on BBC only like last year.

-Pre & Post Race = BBC hands down if its anything like last years anyway. 1-0 Beeb

- Race coverage generally = Sky. Like Croft and Brundle. 1-1

-Humphrey v Lazenby = Jake hands down. He is a natural. 2-1 Beeb.

-Hill & Hebert v EJ & DC = BBC. Haven't seen DC & EJ this year and despite liking Hill & Herbert the Beeb is better here. 3-1 Beeb

-Croft v Edwards = A tie. For me I haven't heard Ben this time, but did last time round and its very close. Beeb 3.5-1.5

-Brundle v DC = Sky. Brundle has a better way of reading and presenting F1. His gridwalks are legendry and he is naturally funny. Beeb 3.5-2.5

-Ted v Gary = Another tie. Gary clearly is superior in tech knowledge, but Ted knows strategy and is slightly more natural. Beeb 4-3

-McKenzie v Pinkham = BBC. Lee is just better. Beeb 5-3.

-F1 extras = Sky. The whole channel allows great old races, although they could still do more. Leave live feed running between sessions. BBC 5-4

Similar to alot of people. I just give it to BBC. However I will go on watching Sky. (Until the day they start putting ads back in(Can't be long))
    I still exist and still find the forum occasionally. Busy busy

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    On the subject of Ben Edwards, here, just for the hell of it, is some footage of him competing in Formula First in 1987. Some other familiar names here too, and a splendid roll-neck sweater and striped blazer combo on the estimable Chris Goffey.

BBC top gear classic last episode from 1987 - YouTube

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Sky Sports have a free weekend and we are watching it but would watch BBC everytime. Thought it very amusing when the BBC cameras zoomed into the Sky team at Monaco and JH apologised (very insincerely). We need information and not personalities while watching Formula 1 and Gary Anderson is wonderful at all things technical and I believe it should be 9-0 to the BBC as well.

Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    I don't agree with the bolded part at all. Gary is far superior calling strategy and the fact he's got it spot on on numerous ocassions puts Ted in the shade IMO. Ted is better at presenting than Gary and puts himself across alot better I think.

Having watched the highlights today on the Beeb I have to lift my hat to them. It was so well put together I didn't notice it was highlights at all, and I felt I had watched the entire race. The race itself was pretty damn dull in terms of action but I enjoyed the coverage all the same.

One plus point of the highlights is the quick build up. No fuss, no fillers, just a few interviews and straight to the race. Its meant I have not spend my entire afternoon infront of the TV and for once I have enjoyed what has been offered.
    You don't agree with me about Ted. Fair point and the radio on BBC I have heard Gary is great.

I must say I don't agree about the race. The first half was full of battling and passing. The second half was more static, but the epic racing by those top 3 was great.
    I enjoyed it very much.

I think we were robbed of the battle between Alonso, Vettel and Hamilton after Lewis picked up that puncture. I suppose I lost interest with alot of the race after that and was in and out of the room. I feel you need to be interested to enjoy it and it was over for me on lap 2 pretty much. The coverage was excellent though and can't fault that.
    Only Hamilton was out of the running. Doesn't matter whos racing that hard. It is still great F1.

I like Hamilton and Button and most other drivers.

I just love to see F1 competative. And for me this was one of the better races this season.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by DexDexter
    I've watched quite of lot of Sky coverage this year (don't ask me how) and the thing that strikes me is that Johnny Herbert and Damon Hill really have nothing to say. They seem to search for words all the time and don't bring anything to the broadcasts.
    Johnny Herbert is pretty good. Brings the all important enthusiasm to punditry.

Damon Hill is like a well spoken Mark Blundell. Doesn't really add much.

Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    This is the only point with which I'd take issue. It's very unlikely that a broadcaster is going to find a really good F1 driver who can broadcast well. I don't think it matters a jot — after all, I don't have a problem with you or anyone else judging the abilities of the respective Sky and BBC broadcasters without being a broadcaster yourself.
    Firstly, who can not warm to Chandok? June's audio podcast with Karun Chandhok - Formula 1 - Motor Sport Magazine

Do you need a glittering CV to be great a analyst? In football some of the great coaches/managers were average footballer.

Plenty of average drivers have become terrific commentators such as: Charley Cox - nobody driver to commentating legend; Neil Crompton - average Touring Car driver but made a name of himself as the authoritative voice of Aussie Touring Cars/V8s; Sam Posey in America who initially impart wisdom on Indycar and went on to be picked up for the Tour De France and Olympics coverage.

The key is having punditry and broadcasting skills.

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Firstly, who can not warm to Chandok? June's audio podcast with Karun Chandhok - Formula 1 - Motor Sport Magazine

Do you need a glittering CV to be great a analyst? In football some of the great coaches/managers were average footballer.

Plenty of average drivers have become terrific commentators such as: Charley Cox - nobody driver to commentating legend; Neil Crompton - average Touring Car driver but made a name of himself as the authoritative voice of Aussie Touring Cars/V8s; Sam Posey in America who initially impart wisdom on Indycar and went on to be picked up for the Tour De France and Olympics coverage.

The key is having punditry and broadcasting skills.
    Completely agree. I thought of this again while watching the Open golf today, and being subjected to the entry of Nick Faldo into the BBC's line-up of commentators and pundits. None of the ex-players amongst them can match Faldo's achievements as a player; all are enormously superior broadcasters.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts

Having watched the highlights today on the Beeb I have to lift my hat to them. It was so well put together I didn't notice it was highlights at all, and I felt I had watched the entire race. The race itself was pretty damn dull in terms of action but I enjoyed the coverage all the same.

One plus point of the highlights is the quick build up. No fuss, no fillers, just a few interviews and straight to the race. Its meant I have not spend my entire afternoon infront of the TV and for once I have enjoyed what has been offered.
    You know, I agree. I was actually watching the race live on Sky, but switched it off and went to the shops, when I got back I watched the highlights on the BBC. Sunday afternoons are too precious now to spend them in front of the TV
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    You know, I agree. I was actually watching the race live on Sky, but switched it off and went to the shops, when I got back I watched the highlights on the BBC. Sunday afternoons are too precious now to spend them in front of the TV
    I'd rather spend Sunday afternoon watching racing than traipsing round the shops!

Liked 478 Times in 371 Posts
    BBC are much better by a country mile. The McLaren animation was the best thing about Sky coverage yesterday. I get bored watching the Sky coverage. That never happened with the Beebs.