Page 32 of 44 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast
    Liked 192 Times in 142 Posts
    I've just checked further and some of the FTA HD channels like 'Channel 5 HD' do play but are not being broadcast in HD it seems. Its standard definition and the picture is not crisp at all. BBC Wales HD also plays in SD, so perhaps Sky limit the transmission rather than the channels not showing up?

Its also worth adding that not everything shown on these channels is broadcast in HD. I shall test it again later.

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by henners88
    Sky have confirmed that as of April 9th 2013 the F1 channel will move to the Sky Sports package for new customers only. Those who have the HD and have the channel already will not be affected. What they haven't confirmed is how long the channel will be available to HD customers who don't pay for the Sports Package.

There is plenty of info on this, here is one example:

Sky combines HD and 3D in new basic TV package: UPDATED - Recombu
    Where is the reliable source, nothing there that I can see - all I can see is the same story regurgitated around the web without a link to Sky or named Sky source.

That link does not answer the question I asked. The advert shows what you get when you take out the HD pack, it does not explain if you get FTA HD channels that other providers provide free of charge. If you don't have the HD pack can you watch BBC 1 HD, no you can't as they restrict you to a SD broadcast. I've just tried this on my father in-laws Sky box. When you click on BBC 1 HD it asks you to upgrade. I think for the money you are paying, you should get free HD channels as paid for in your license fee as standard.
    If you scroll down to "What can you watch in HD" and select "Non Subscription" you get the answer.

Quote Originally Posted by yodasarmpit
    Where is the reliable source, nothing there that I can see - all I can see is the same story regurgitated around the web without a link to Sky or named Sky source.
    Sky are very unclear with their advertising at present. They are advertising that you can watch F1 with the HD pack but suggest this offer ends on March 31st 2013. They are careful what they are saying will happen after that date but the national press seem to be under the assumption the changes are how we are predicting here. The fact Sky are not trying to silence the rumours or clarify it should it be wrong is quite telling I think. There are too many usually reliable sources reporting these changes for it to be rubbished IMO. I'm not saying its 100% correct, but its a view I share at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by yodasarmpit
    If you scroll down to "What can you watch in HD" and select "Non Subscription" you get the answer.
    Excellent, there's my answer.

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    There was some suggestion that the Sky+ functionality (and perhaps On Demand too) would cease if you stopped subscribing to HD. Of course I would still be subscribing to Sky, just not HD
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    There was some suggestion that the Sky+ functionality (and perhaps On Demand too) would cease if you stopped subscribing to HD. Of course I would still be subscribing to Sky, just not HD
    What so if you no longer subscribe to HD they may disable your box so that you can no longer record to its hard drive through Sky+? Obviously nothing being announced this is just theoretical question.

Liked 186 Times in 146 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    It used to be that the Sky+ functionality cost you £10 a month if you were on a basic package, or was free if you were on HD, Sky Sports or Movies. It seems now it's free on all packages so you wouldn't lose it if you just dropped back to a standard subscription. But of course you would if you stopped subscribing altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyL
    It used to be that the Sky+ functionality cost you £10 a month if you were on a basic package, or was free if you were on HD, Sky Sports or Movies. It seems now it's free on all packages so you wouldn't lose it if you just dropped back to a standard subscription. But of course you would if you stopped subscribing altogether.
    That sounds about right as of course Sky+ when it first came out was quite original as none of its rivals offered it at the time. Now most freeview boxes allow the viewer to record and set series links so its a standard feature offered by all.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've just checked further and some of the FTA HD channels like 'Channel 5 HD' do play but are not being broadcast in HD it seems. Its standard definition and the picture is not crisp at all. BBC Wales HD also plays in SD, so perhaps Sky limit the transmission rather than the channels not showing up?

Its also worth adding that not everything shown on these channels is broadcast in HD. I shall test it again later.
    Not sure as to the actual situation but when went back to Sky last year (I subscribed until 3 years ago then stopped) part of the offer was getting the Sky+ box and the dual DMB antenna etc all fitted.

I don't pay anything to Sky for HD (and so don't get it on their channels) but I do get BBC1/2 HD and I suppose others but never checked, and the installer said even if I ended my subsciption I would retain the HD service for the freeview channels that come via the Sky satellite.

I agree £510 does sound, and is, a lot of money, but it is still less than £10 a week and if you do watch sports other than F1 it is a justifiable amount

WT
    Winner 2012 F1 Fantasy Racers at fantasyracers.com. Winner 2013 FGP.

Never stop believing...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Do Sky customers who don't pay for the HD pack receive any of the FTA HD channels like freeview customers do? I think I already know the answer to the question, but why are free channels not available on their own when other provides don't lump them in with a premium package? I can understand Sky HD channels being on a premium but not free ones.
    Yes, both the BBC channels and their regional variants, ITV1, Channel 4 and 5, and several others. ITV2,3 and 4 HD need a sub but they're not on Freeview HD anyway.

I have F1 by dint of having the HD pack but no other sports, so if Sky do move that way in the future I'll do what I always do and threaten to cancel - I've had several free boxes and upgrades over the years courtesy of that tactic.
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Quote Originally Posted by Wasted Talent
    I agree £510 does sound, and is, a lot of money, but it is still less than £10 a week and if you do watch sports other than F1 it is a justifiable amount

WT
    'If' indeed for some people I'm sure. Even if I did watch other sports as well as F1 it would still be out of my reach. Its only a justifiable amount if the person has the spare cash in the first place. Plus I haven't seen Sky with Sports advertised for less than £40 p/m which is what you are suggesting here. If I didn't have a full time job, a mortgage, a car and a hefty commute to work every day, I might be able to afford Sky. Sadly we are not as rich as many would like us to believe.