Liked 209 Times in 165 Posts

Silly season 2013

With Stoner's announcement of retirement, rider market has been blown wide open earlier than usual. But it looks like solution for Repsol Honda 2013 line-up is coming quite rapidly. It has been announced that the rookie rule will be scrapped for 2013, which means Pedrosa-Marquez is all but confirmed for next season.

Interesting bit of news today that Crutchlow is seriously considering a move to Ducati, despite Tech3 Yamaha performing better at the moment.
    Cal Crutchlow in 'deep' talks with Ducati factory squad - MotoGP news - AUTOSPORT.com
    Would such move be worth it?

Other aspects to think about.
    What will Rossi do? Could he move to San Carlo Gresini Honda squad on a satellite bike? Will he stay on at Ducati? Will he retire altogether?
    Second seat at Yamaha factory team. Can Spies improve and impress enough to hold onto it or will he be replaced (perhaps swapped) with Dovizioso?
    The fate of private Ducatis. Abraham has been having a horrible season and Pramac's financial situation isn't secure. Who could possibly ride private Ducatis next year?
    Who else from Moto2 could move up to MotoGP besides Marquez? Arguably Bradley Smith has a contract with Tech3, will he really make such a jump? Iannone, Espargaro, Lüthi - what could they hope for? A CRT bike at best or, say, a private Ducati?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    With the Honda seats tied up and Lorenzo staying at Yamaha, it's hard to see much movement taking place. If Crutchlow has a contract put in front of him, he signs it - simple. The Ducati mightn't be much good but it has potential to get better by a factory who want to win. If he stays at Tech3, he has a bike that is deliberately restricted in it's competitiveness by the Yamaha factory. I wouldn't be surprised if Ducati have a change of heart and re-sign Hayden. I also struggle to see Honda offering Rossi and factory bike, even in a satellite team. Rossi to stay would be my expectation and Spies to remain at Yamaha for commercial reasons. Also, the Brad Smith to Tech3 on-again/off-again drama may prove to be a non event. With Crutchlow and Dovizioso riding so well, it was seen that they would be fighting over the same seat next year and Smith had a contract for one of the rides. However, it was then said that no matter what, Smith won't be riding for Tech3 in MotoGP leaving both seats open for Cal and Dovi but if Cal leaves for Ducati or if Dovi gets the factory Yamaha ride or he has even hinted that he may go to World Superbike if he doesn't get a factory ride, then it may well be a moot point and Smith could possibly still get his chance at MotoGP. Personally, I'd look to sign Espargaro to Tech3 if I were Yamaha.
    Get off my lawn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So Spies is out of Yamaha. Will be interesting to see where he turns up. Suzuki is an exciting idea for us fans however I feel he wants out of the MotoGP paddock. WSB or AMA? I reckon WSB but time will tell.

I am surprised that Yamaha are talking to Rossi. They have Lorenzo who is at the top of his form or still getting there while Valentino cannot be viewed in such a positive light. This is an opportunity for Yamaha to hire a rider on a Lorenzo trajectory, not a Rossi one. An opportunity to hire a younger or less experienced quality prospect, ready to take over from Jorge. Bradl?

Liked 20 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by seppefan
    An opportunity to hire a younger or less experienced quality prospect, ready to take over from Jorge. Bradl?
    My thoughts also.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Moto GP signings to date

Jorge Lorenzo - Factory Yamaha rider until end of 2014.
    Valentino Rossi - Factory Yamaha until the end of 2014.

Dani Pedrosa - Repsol Honda rider until the end of 2014.
    Marc Marquez - Repsol Honda rider until the end of 2014.

Nicky Hayden - Ducati Team until end of 2013.
    Andrea Dovizioso - Ducati Team until end of 2014.

Satellite riders:
    Cal Crutchlow - Tech 3 Yamaha until the end of 2013.
    Bradley Smith - Tech 3 Yamaha until the end of 2014.

Stefan Bradl - LCR Honda until the end of 2013.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Moto GP news

MGM Mobile Forward has signed Edwards and De Angelis for 2013.

Ducati has rejoined forces with Pramac to run a satellite team and signed Spies and Iannone.