Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts

Ferrari 156 Sharknose query

A friend of my father has 2 models of the Ferrari 156 Sharknose 1961 F1 car, neither of which I've seen, but he's asked me if I know why the tail section of the car is shorter on one than the other. I couldn't think of any reason why that would be the case, as far as I know if only every had the 6-cylinder motor in it, not a shorter version. Does anyone have any ideas about this? He suspects it's just an inaccuracy in the model.
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Almost definitely an inaccuracy in the models.

The Sharknose used two different engines - a 65 degree V6 which was later replaced by a 120 degree V6 but the engines would have been the same length hence the chassis, wheelbase and length of the tail would be the same. They did ring the changes with the carburettor inlets using wire mesh, aluminium and clear plastic blisters. Hence the engine cover detail changed from race to race. I'm not sure whether the exhaust position changed.

I'm posting from work with no access to any references so I can't say what was used where. I do know that Baghetti's Reims win was with the 65 degree engine but don't know about any of the others. If you need more detail let me know and I can root it out. Unfortunately I can't scan stuff so it will have to be a verbal description.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 17 Times in 15 Posts
    Thanks D-Type. I've looked at pictures via google and can see varieties in models but not actual pictures or technical drawings of the car. I know that there were varieties in V-angles and exhausts but not in length. The only thing I could think of that would change the length was gearbox design, but surely there was nothing radical that would visibly change the length of the car.
    CMR4L titles: 2, RBR MF Cup titles: 2
    :champion:

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    If you search around the net, there are a couple of sites with technical drawings or plans of cars, I think they are reproductions of plans in contemporary modelling magazines. I'm afraid I can't recall the names.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.