Liked 644 Times in 509 Posts

Happy 2nd, I mean 4th of July

Happy 2nd, I mean 4th of July. Have a great holiday America

John Adams' famous letter of July 3, 1776, in which he wrote to his wife Abigail what his thoughts were about celebrating the Fourth of July is found on various web sites but is usually incorrectly quoted. Following is the exact text from his letter with his original spellings:
    The Second Day of July 1776, will be the most memorable Epocha, in the History of America. I am apt to believe that it will be celebrated, by succeeding Generations, as the great anniversary Festival. It ought to be commemorated, as the Day of Deliverance by solemn Acts of Devotion to God Almighty. It ought to be solemnized with Pomp and Parade, with Shews, Games, Sports, Guns, Bells, Bonfires and Illuminations from one End of this Continent to the other from this Time forward forever more. You will think me transported with Enthusiasm but I am not. I am well aware of the Toil and Blood and Treasure, that it will cost Us to maintain this Declaration, and support and defend these States. Yet through all the Gloom I can see the Rays of ravishing Light and Glory. I can see that the End is more than worth all the Means. And that Posterity will tryumph in that Days Transaction, even altho We should rue it, which I trust in God We shall not.
    May the forza be with you

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hey Brits!
    Your asses were kicked out of these shores a couple of hundred years ago so on this end of the world it's time to party with a delicious barbecue and some noisy colorful fireworks.

Let's paaaaartyyyyyyy.

Sent from my iPhone
    Without sharing there can be no justice,
    Without justice there can be no peace,
    Without peace there can be no future.
    please click here once a day: http://www.thehungersite.com

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Always wonder why this day is celebrated, and not the END when victory was done and certain. I bellive maybe 1 in 1000 know the war went on into September 3, 1783.

And, aside from one horrible state in the NE, nobody celebrates, and few know, the day the shooting started that led to this day.
    (15 months before)

Odd, iddnit?
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa
    Always wonder why this day is celebrated, and not the END when victory was done and certain. I bellive maybe 1 in 1000 know the war went on into September 3, 1783.

And, aside from one horrible state in the NE, nobody celebrates, and few know, the day the shooting started that led to this day.
    (15 months before)

Odd, iddnit?
    Are you referring to the multi-national military maneuver that culminated in the devastating defeat of the British Forces under (the sore loser) Lord Cornwallis at Yorktown, by the French and Continental Forces under the overall command of George Washington?

Thank you:
    Jean-Baptiste Donatien de Vimeur, Comte de Rochambeau
    Marie-Joseph Paul Yves Roch Gilbert du Motier, Marquis de La Fayette
    François-Joseph Paul, marquis de Grasse Tilly, Comte de Grasse

Quote Originally Posted by Janvan
    Odd, iddnit?
    Not really most of the founding fathers saw this as a momentous event, although I love this line:
    We must all hang together, or assuredly we shall all hang separately. - Benjamin Franklin
    at the signing of the Declaration of Independence.
    ailor: snap!

(15 months before)

Odd, iddnit?
    And BTW The Battles of Lexington, and Concord were taught all the way out here in California. It's elementary school curriculum!

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Giacomo Rappaccini
    And BTW The Battles of Lexington, and Concord were taught all the way out here in California. It's elementary school curriculum!
    Yeah back when youse was a kid. back when California schools were among the best in the nation, before prop 13, but ask people now under 50 "what day did the shooting start?" and see how many can answer..
    One girl: December 7? with that awful rising nasal whining

What year "I dunnoooooo 1962?"
    I swear to god.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Yeah back when youse was a kid. back when California schools were among the best in the nation, before prop 13, but ask people now under 50 "what day did the shooting start?" and see how many can answer..
    One girl: December 7? with that awful rising nasal whining

What year "I dunnoooooo 1962?"
    I swear to god.
    Amen Brother!
    Although things started going south before prop 13. My parents were both educators is San Diego, according to my father when the parents in the PTA started telling credentialed teachers how to run their classes it had a very negative impact, and convoluted the systems used by the dedicated educators like him. In fact it led to him resigning and spending more time as a Navigator in the U.S. Merchant Marines, and teaching nautical navigation at a merchant marine academy extension.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by race aficionado
    Hey Brits!
    Your asses were kicked out of these shores a couple of hundred years ago so on this end of the world it's time to party with a delicious barbecue and some noisy colorful fireworks.

Let's paaaaartyyyyyyy.

Sent from my iPhone
    lol, what a way to put it. Fair enough!
    Happy -belated- Independence Day!
    :champion: 1990 BTCC-CHAMPION w/ 207 points and 9 race wins :burnout:
    :champion: 1997 BTCC-Total Cup for Privateer's CHAMPION :burnout: