Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Maria De Villota Seriously Injured in testing crash

BBC News - F1 Marussia driver Maria de Villota in Duxford crash

I'm surprised nobody has brought this up already.... it seems like her condition is improving thankfully.
    I wonder what impact this could have on formula one... especially the discussion on Canopies etc.
    To join, copy and paste this into your signature.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    I believe that the forum hasn't been working over the last few days, so it's normal that no one said anything about this. Anyway, I'll stick to what Joe Saward said:

For the time being F1 should not be making any snap decisions. The sport should take a look at what happened and then decide whether that warrants any action.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Don't be too surprised that nobody has mentioned the incident , as I , and presumably everyone else , has been having trouble accessing the forum for the last few days .

Some reports I've read have said it may have been an issue with the anti-stall electronics revving the car without warning , so this knid of issue might have happened anywhere .
    The discussion , I believe , will be more about the safety at private tests , rather than specifically about canopies .

I noticed a derisive comment about the team leaving the truck's lift-gate out from Joe Saward , but who could have known that a car suddenly sliding under it would be an issue with which they'd have to deal ?

I hope she's ok , and that she can soon get back in the car . This has the potential to set the girls with F1 ambition back a few decades in terms of public opinion .

Liked 182 Times in 139 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian Blue

I'm surprised nobody has brought this up already.... it seems like her condition is improving thankfully.
    I wonder what impact this could have on formula one... especially the discussion on Canopies etc.

I was watching some random news on CNN today when suddenly the scrolling news ticker below said that an F1 driver was seriously injured. I was surprised because I thought that Formula 1 tests are allowed only on specified days. I hope that she gets well. I pray for her. Let's hope that Formula 1 community learns important lessons from this crash and uses the knowledge to make the sport (including testing) safer for everyone involved.

Liked 32 Times in 32 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan
    The discussion , I believe , will be more about the safety at private tests , rather than specifically about canopies .
    Correct. Hopefully we don't need a knee-jerk reaction.

Quote Originally Posted by Bagwan
    I noticed a derisive comment about the team leaving the truck's lift-gate out from Joe Saward , but who could have known that a car suddenly sliding under it would be an issue with which they'd have to deal ?
    The awnings were set up next to the support trucks and if anyone has experience or even noticed lazy delivery men that the tail lifts are used as a step. In that instance you're asking for some of trouble.

Liked 793 Times in 587 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wedge
    Correct. Hopefully we don't need a knee-jerk reaction.

The awnings were set up next to the support trucks and if anyone has experience or even noticed lazy delivery men that the tail lifts are used as a step. In that instance you're asking for some of trouble.
    Perhaps the location of the trucks should be an issue , but , if it's the same as here in Canada , with the lift up , it wouldn't have been much better , as the trucks are equipped with structures meant to stop road cars going under , at about the same height as a half lift on the tail .

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Norwegian Blue

Would be easier to not leave a truck with the load hoist down and at cockpit height anywhere near where the car was due to run than fit all racing cars with canopies....???
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Opinions are like ar5eholes, everyone has one.

Liked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    It's terrible to hear that, SGWilko... that's end of the line for her, I believe. I don't think she was anywhere near a great driver, but still, losing an eye? That's disastrous...

Liked 373 Times in 289 Posts
    I would really like to know now what exactly happened.
    Was it a car failure or a driver error?
    Either way, it is sad news.
    you can't argue with results.