Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    And just exactly where else are they going to go? Out of all the tracks and promoters just clamoring to get a date. All the pie in the sky suggestions you see on this and other boards are just wishful thinking - Road America, Laguna, Pocono, the Glen. New Hampshire, etc. They all require the track/promoter to WANT them, at a price acceptable to both. Before you talk about where not to go, you darn sure better have a realistic place TO go.

By the way, where are your suggestions for a REALISTIC place for Indycar to hold a race?
    I heard they have a brand new track in Neverland, and that the promoter of Narnia and Middle Earth is looking for a race.
    Jose Arrambide
    Nobody Expects The Spanish Inquisition
    Monty Python Flying Circus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    WEST ALLIS, Wis. – Michael Andretti drew the loudest spontaneous applause from soggy spectators at the Milwaukee IndyFest Presented by XYQ when he announced that the IZOD IndyCar Series will be back at the Milwaukee Mile in 2013.

Tickets for the race weekend -- scheduled for June 14-15 -- go on sale June 17 (Father's Day). Reserved ticket-holders may renew their seats before July 16 at Welcome to Milwaukee IndyFest. Tickets will also be available June 18 at the Wisconsin State Fair box office, and by phone at 414-266-7100.

Andretti Sports Marketing announced Feb. 10 that it was assuming promotion of the event at the facility on the grounds of the Wisconsin State Fair Park, which has played host to Indy car racing since 1933 but was plagued by poor attendance in 2011 that put its future in question. Tickets went on sale March 1.

“We weren’t kidding ourselves; we knew this wasn’t something that was going to change overnight,” said Andretti, CEO of Andretti Sports Marketing and Andretti Autosport. “We felt like if we did a really good event this year and displayed it well that the skeptics are going to be the ones who hear how great the event was and we’ll get them to come the next year. Year 2 should be bigger, hopefully, that Year 1. This is a building year.”

Andretti Sports Marketing took a different approach to an oval event by incorporating a festival atmosphere with concerts, a family fun zone, Ferris wheel and the INDYCAR Fan Village in the infield. It appeared to be a hit.

“There was a huge crowd this morning and long lines coming in,” Andretti said. “We heard this was a late (ticket-buying) crowd and I can understand. They want to see proof, and I think all the buzz that’s been going around the past week with the block party, the autograph sessions and the drivers in the community has brought people out (race) morning.

“(Similarly) the sponsors, some of whom got burnt in the past, wanted to see how well this event came off. I expect a lot more corporate interest for next year.”

Taking over the Milwaukee event included an element of sentiment. Michael Andretti won nine times at the track, and the 1991 race featured an all-Andretti podium: Michael, cousin John and father Mario.

“It means a lot to our family,” Michael Andretti said.

Andretti Sports Marketing, which was started in 2011, also took over promotion of the IZOD IndyCar Series event on the temporary street circuit in Baltimore, which will be held Labor Day weekend. For tickets and event information, go to Home Page | Grand Prix of Baltimore 2012.

“We have the experience of the past (as Andretti Green Promotions) with the two races we promoted, but operationally this race has gone so smoothly it’s scary. For our first time back (as a promoter) it’s been great,” Michael Andretti said.
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FIAT1
    I think I was at different race. There where people everywhere, in my opinion this was second biggest crowd since they rebuild grandstands.
    Milwaukee has 45,000 seats and it was about 1/3 filled(I am being generous) so do the math.

Quote Originally Posted by FIAT1
    With this economy and cancellation of the race and uncertainty I was surprised how many people showed up. Rain did damage some, as people left and it was raining for two hrs ,but most people stayed. I don't understand some of the negative posts and I could care less obout ovals but with limited time to put this together and no promotion in big city like Chicago this race was a success. Infield was packed,but Friday was not free as I had to pay to go infield and many where upset, and they have to fix that with some better package. Cars where fast and with speed ugly bumpers did not matter much. Negatores here have to remember that Milwaukee grandsands where smaller in 90s and Miller beer was giving 1/2 of those for free, therefore ease up on critic and judgment from the couch because Michael has announced that race will be back and with steady date and year long promotion wil be there for years to come as it should because it is great track with great tradition and racing. Could it be improved? Absolutely, but I don't understand why all this doom and gloom all the time even after great event like today.

We have heard similar excuses before and frankly it has been sounding like a broken record for some time now.

Einstein had it right

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Come on guys. It is time to let it go.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good news,looks like RA is in play and I will be there .Superb

IndyCar - Michael Andretti saves the day in Milwaukee - ESPN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonyvop
    Milwaukee has 45,000 seats and it was about 1/3 filled(I am being generous) so do the math.

We have heard similar excuses before and frankly it has been sounding like a broken record for some time now.

Einstein had it right

Come on guys. It is time to let it go.
    yeah, I saw you there counting, hope you do the same next year, but please buy a ticket and show up!!

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jackmart
    The penalty for Dixon was ridiculous!
    I didn't see the race so I can't have an opinion. But it looks like the officials agree with you:

IndyCar official admits mistake on Dixon penalty

WEST ALLIS, Wis. (AP) — Scott Dixon was confused and annoyed. As it turns out, he had every right to be.

Dixon was penalized for jumping a restart Saturday in the IndyCar race at the Milwaukee Mile, and race director Beaux Barfield acknowledged afterward that he shouldn't have been.
    "I'm actually very excited to see what the hell they're talking about," Dixon said after the race. "I'm disappointed."

After explaining the situation to the team, Barfield acknowledged the mistake publicly, noting that a failure in their timing and scoring system caused them to look at the wrong replay. A clock was off by 36 seconds, throwing off their system.

According to Barfield's explanation, what officials mistakenly looked at was a replay of a previous restart — one that was waved off by officials at the time and didn't count. Dixon did commit a potential infraction on the restart that didn't count.

But Dixon didn't do anything wrong on the subsequent restart that ended up counting and should not have been penalized.

"It was obviously the wrong call, based on the reality of the situation," Barfield said. "But based on the clock leading us the wrong way, technology completely got us."
    Barfield took responsibility for the mistake, and said officials with Dixon's Chip Ganassi Racing team were "very gracious" when presented with an explanation.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Was a great race but too bad that Dixon got a penalty. He could have been the leader in points, if he wouldn't have been penalized...
    October 16th, 2011 - One of the blackest days in the history of motorsports.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I LOVE Indycar but I feel like the rules are so frustrating. First you can use illegal parts, get more downforce and win, now you can be forced to serve a pseudo penalty.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    A decent race considering us folks to the north got the Coles Notes version. TSN 2 cut out about 50 laps and rejoined the race under a long caution... oookay. The stands looked close to half full but I'm just guessing... couldn't count past 20 before they'd switch cameras on me. I'm sure if Andretti carries forward with this momentum, next years race will be a lot more popular.

Since Indycar incorrectly punished Dixon, does he get a 5 grid spot bonus at the next race?
    Who, What, When, Where, Why -- http://champcarstats.com/

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Milwaukee ABC affiliate left race on to conclusion...good call Channel 12!
    life is always a crisis, for without crisis, there would be no excitement to life.