Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Liked 2,842 Times in 1,615 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Gregor-y
    I'd agree it's a better time to join than when Suzuki tried, but are things really set for now? I would guess with VW joining it's a fairly safe bet, though.
    I think Huyndai and any other factory thinking of joining the WRC should have been started already developing the bodyshell and even engine. Then making a "VW-year" in 2013, with a S2000, just to go all in in 2014.

That would be the most efficiant time schedule at the moment...
    "Reis vas pät pat kaar vas kut"
    Tommi Mäkinen, back in the years...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Hyundai to join the WRC?

I'll believe it when I see it.

I think they're one of the few manufacturers who could reasonably and easily join the WRC (though I like the i30 better than the i20), but I can't see any appeal in entering the category. If the WRC wants to get the Asian manufacturers back in as works teams, then they need a local event. That means reviving the Rally of Japan, or starting a new one in South Korea (which is very unlikely).

If there is any truth to this, then Hyundai are probably just making the i20 available under the Group R regulations the way Toyota did the TMG Yaris earlier this month.

Liked 661 Times in 320 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Prisoner Monkeys
    Hyundai to join the WRC?

I'll believe it when I see it.

I think they're one of the few manufacturers who could reasonably and easily join the WRC (though I like the i30 better than the i20), but I can't see any appeal in entering the category. If the WRC wants to get the Asian manufacturers back in as works teams, then they need a local event. That means reviving the Rally of Japan, or starting a new one in South Korea (which is very unlikely).

If there is any truth to this, then Hyundai are probably just making the i20 available under the Group R regulations the way Toyota did the TMG Yaris earlier this month.
    Manufacturers like Hyundai and Toyota join a series like the WRC to sell cars outside their home markets.

Subaru, Toyota, Suzuki etc were all involved well before Rally Japan entered the WRC. There's no need for a home event. Everyone in those countries already knows who they are...

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Perhaps, but a home event sweetens the deal. Especially if they can succeed at it.