Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 91011
    Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    For everyone's sake I hope you live and work on ground floor.
    I live on ground floor but I work on the 6th. Anyway my death wouldn't have any impact if I sacrifice myself on an obscure street of Bucharest. Working place is the perfect choice.

Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    I thought you were about to jump out of the window. Now I understand you plan to jump from your yacht's window into the see!.
    You misunderstand me ( as usual ). I DREAM to live on a greek beach. A dream that will never come true - like most of my dreams. Matter of fact I've never been in Greece although I have many relatives to whom I'm on very good terms.
    I PLAN to jump and I'll do it.

Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa
    My wife is Chinese and in her family they have said just joking a little "You must have been Chinese in a previous life, and probably a Taoist scholar" They say that "because you get it, not just the idea, but the humor, and you must have been Chinese to really understand the humor like you do"
    That's interesting. I try to recall a sample of chinese humour and I can't.
    Fair to say that except for the merchants from Europa complex I've never met a chinese. And you can hardly perceive a sense of humour when you're negotiating a price.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    A Chinese joke:
    "The Cantonese will eat anything with 4 legs - except the table"
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    A Chinese joke:
    "The Cantonese will eat anything with 4 legs - except the table"
    My father in law once said "We Cantonese will eat everything on the table---except the legs"

But my wife says she never hear the joke you mentioned..
    I think it is more a joke gwei los repeat, but that's OK.

Now gadjo I suggest you search and watch--all available on You-Tube---Stephen Chow's great films "God of Cooking" and Shaolin Soccer" and of course the epic "Kung Fu Hustle"

"Film critic Roger Ebert described the film "like Jackie Chan and Buster Keaton meet Quentin Tarantino and Bugs Bunny" at the Sundance Film Festival.[52] The comment was printed on the promotion posters for Kung Fu Hustle in the United States.[53][54] Other critics described it as a comedic version of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon.[55] Positive reviews generally give credit to the elements of mo lei tau comedy present in the film.[56] A number of reviewers viewed it as a computer-enhanced Looney Tunes punch-up.[7][57] In a 2010 GQ interview, actor Bill Murray called Kung Fu Hustle "the supreme achievement of the modern age in terms of comedy."[58]
    Pretty good endorsement from Mr Murray.

From Wiki:
    Turmoil grips Shanghai in the 1940s. Various gangs vie for power, the most feared of which is the Axe Gang, led by the infamous Brother Sum and aptly named after its weapon of choice. In the absence of law enforcement, people can live peacefully only in poor areas which do not appeal to gangs. An example is Pig Sty Alley, a tenement home to people of various trades, run by a lecherous landlord and his domineering wife. One day, two troublemakers, Sing and Bone, come to the alley impersonating members of the Axe Gang to gain respect. Their plan fails and Sing's antics attract the real gang to the scene. In the massive brawl that ensues, more than fifty gangsters are defeated by three tenants who are actually powerful martial arts masters: Coolie, Master of the Twelve Kicks; Tailor, master of the Iron Fist; and Donut, master of the Hexagon Staff.
    Read more:
    Kung Fu Hustle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The films are everything from utter nonsense and slapstick to loving appreciation of ordinary people--or people that seem ordinary but possess, when the need is there, heroic levels of brotherhood and solidarity, and bravery and who when the going gets tough, rise up and do the right thing..Subtle cultural references abound..
    Talking serious film with some folks here who, totally ignorant of anything of China, said "he's ridiculing everything whaaaaaa! whaaaaaaa!!" i said, no, its humorous appreciation, he's laughing with everybody else....not at.

I was right, at least according to anybody thoughtful in China and Hong Kong writing on film...
    My own wife said that she has learned a deeper appreciation of the strength and solidness of her culture when I have talked to her about these, on the surface, silly films... but then again, absurdity is a part of life and we may as well laugh at it, if we are wise anyway.

Good luck, have a good time.
    watch those three so you get a feel for the common themes...
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    My father in law once said "We Cantonese will eat everything on the table---except the legs"
    Most probably because the legs are usually under the table.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Isn't it interesting that a generally respectful discussion in which a number of people have opened up and shown some quite deep-seated feelings should then bring about a contribution such as this above, which reveals the individual making it to be, in my view, virtually devoid of heart or compassion towards fellow human beings.

Tony, do you feel you have ever made a bad decision in life?
    I have made my share of bad decisions.

I have also learned from my mistakes and I HAVE NEVER DEMANDED that Others be forced to pay for my mistakes.

In all my posts I have never once stated that you should be prevented from helping others you feel deserves it. Express what you call "compassion" all you want.

I just reject the notion that you have a right to decide what I should feel "compassion" for.

There is no honor is spending other people's money.

Now gadjo I suggest you search and watch--all available on You-Tube---Stephen Chow's great films "God of Cooking" and Shaolin Soccer" and of course the epic "Kung Fu Hustle"

Good luck, have a good time.
    watch those three so you get a feel for the common themes...
    Thanks for suggestions. I'll try to watch although action movies aren't my type. "Farewell my concubine" is closer to my taste.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gadjo_dilo
    Thanks for suggestions. I'll try to watch although action movies aren't my type. "Farewell my concubine" is closer to my taste.
    Not "action" films, stories told with several types of humor, slapstick and subtlety at the same time..

Gags and honoring the cornerstones of his 4000 year old culture: poking good natured fun at and with Confucianism and Buddhism and Daoist ideas..parodying media and even well known personalities....making metaphors in literary references into "reality" humorously.

It's good stuff and I should say I have been a fairly serious student of world cinema for at least 50 years, I know what good is.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat