Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

What about only retiring at the age of 80?!

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/break...172821954.html

It just shows that some people, like the AIG CEO are out of touch with reality.
    We do not have jobs for the young even with people retiring at 60, yet some idiot thinks that 80 is what it should really be.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    life expectancy for romanian males is well below that number so I guess I'm not ready to work till I'm 80.... but I'm prepared to give it a go. They'll have to adjust a bit my schedule for the later part of my career. I shall want to be at work at 6 am the latest... and have at least 3 breaks for naps during the day.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Maybe it's because states have been busily doing their best to abrogate their previous responsibilities in owning infrastructure and once they're able to do away with state pensions, retiring at... well never, will be out of necessity.

I can already see for instance that at some point before I get to retirement age, some majorly catastrophic event will wipe out the value of people's superannuation funds and everything I will have set aside for 50+ years will become totally worthless. Some hyper-inflation event has the potential to make even people who were millionaires, holders of bits of paper with lots of zeroes on them but still unable to buy bread with it.

Governments generally are my enemy and Corporations are not my friend; we're already on the road into a world where the baby boomers will have already spent the wealth and bugger any generations after them.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Seriously . . . for you guys that are actually seeing (or hoping) retirement in the future . . . . will it be for real? really??
    ???
    Without sharing there can be no justice,
    Without justice there can be no peace,
    Without peace there can be no future.
    please click here once a day: http://www.thehungersite.com

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    I'm not surprised tbh. I'm pretty sure it's the nature of his 'job' that made him think he could be doing it well into his 80s.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben
    I'm not surprised tbh. I'm pretty sure it's the nature of his 'job' that made him think he could be doing it well into his 80s.
    Is it more of a case of arrogance because he knows that he'll be able to retire reasonably early, whilst his company merrily goes about screwing up the world royally.

After raping the American people's wallets for $170 billion in what amounts to state welfare in in taxpayer bailouts, AIG had the gall to then pay $1.2 billion out in "bonuses"
    American Inconscionable Group | Fox Business
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Are You Ready to Work Until You

We do not have jobs for the young even with people retiring at 60, yet some idiot thinks that 80 is what it should really be.
    Oh what a great idea seeing how life expectancy is 75 yrs. Oh and I hate fly fishing and golf
    Obama to Biden - "Let the Welfare checks rain upon the Earth - I am going to a barbecue"

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben
    life expectancy for romanian males is well below that number so I guess I'm not ready to work till I'm 80.... but I'm prepared to give it a go. They'll have to adjust a bit my schedule for the later part of my career. I shall want to be at work at 6 am the latest... and have at least 3 breaks for naps during the day.
    No offence but when you'll be in your 70's you'll probably leave home at 6am and on your way to work you'll forget why you left.

If you don't have expectations of that age I suggest to stop paying those annoying and quite high contributions to the pension fund.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    Are You Ready to Work Until You

He didn't say he WANTED a retirement age of 80, he stated that for future retirees (ie us) to carry on receiving the same level of pensions our parents and grandparents received on a sustainable basis then thats the age we'd have to retire at.

Unfortunately he's right or close enough. Its pure demographics. Given that the number of retirees compared to workers is shooting up how else would you expect to ensure that the retirees don't get less in the future? Either the workers pay more or you raise the retirement age or both, and that is exactly what governments around the world are having to do.

Old people do not generally compete with young people for jobs. Old people are usually much more skilled and experienced but are manually far less capable than school leavers and graduates and therefore are mostly employed in completely different roles. The comparison with the Middle East is nonsense, their young people don't have jobs because a) their governments promoted a stupidly high birth rate and b) the same governments have obstructed economic development that would otherwise have employed those youngsters. Once the global economy picks up again there will be more jobs all round in most balanced economies.

Raising the retirement age does raise questions though. My retirement age has been pushed up to 67 already and will probably go up further before I retire. My work requires precise hand eye coordination. How am I going to do my job when I'm that old? I will have to find another role along with all my other colleagues once we reach that age, how will that be provided for?

Liked 387 Times in 327 Posts
    When I'll be old ( in case I'll ever admit I'm old :laugh I want to rest and relax. Enough with hard learning and hard working!