Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Track Day App/driver training tools

Hi,
    The first time I drove a car on a race track it was clear that while the car performed well I felt there was a lot of time to be gained from the biological component in the car, I wanted a device that would tell me how I was going while I was driving on the fly so I could learn the track in fewer laps, so to get the most out of the driver I am currently working on a new track day app initially for iPhone along with its own supporting hardware that will incorporate many innovative features as we continue to develop it, but I wanted to get some feedback on what we were doing in order to make it as useful as possible.

What I’m trying to do includes:

· A live time split that continually updates much like the delta time number on a Formula One dash. This will allow you to compare how your current lap is going to a reference lap (that you can either upload or set to update and always be the fastest lap from that session). This time split is updated every 0.5sec or so depending on how often the user wants it to refresh
    · Uses accelerometer to perform inertial navigation with GPS for dead reckoning meaning it knows where the car is and how fast it is moving every 0.01sec (100Hz) for vastly improved accuracy at higher speeds over what most software/hardware packages that are currently on the market can offer
    · Drop pin for setting the start finish line for touch free use on track will be incorporated in future updates
    · Log and save position, speed, and acceleration data on the race track, then use our analysis tools to compare laps and improve your driving style
    · Overlay laps to a satellite image of the track and select a measured variable to change the colour shading of the lap path to compare racing lines and braking points in post analysis will be incorporated in future updates

Any feedback you can give on what I am doing is appreciated, if you feel there is something else that you would like to see included as a driver while on track or in post analysis that I have missed let me know, so I can review it with my team and we could incorporate your features in the app/our software and hardware before we launch or in an update, we will be developing it as we go if we feel there are improvements to be made. Or if I’ve hit the nail on the head let me know, cheers.

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    Surely if you've time to read all that you can't fully concentrate on your driving or watch the road ahead. I would concentrate on a downloadable version for subsequent analysis.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    thanks for the feedback,
    just so we are on the same page the only thing that would be displayed while driving is the split time, everything else mentioned was for post analysis/set up. I will defiantly take you comment on board and make a note to focus on data acquisition and presenting the data in a useful manor for post review (we were thinking of using an ipad app/additional software for post). thanks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    iCodriver: Pace notes for iPad

What do you think of this application for Ipad developed by one of our national rally co-drivers.

Liked 335 Times in 204 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    Surely if you've time to read all that you can't fully concentrate on your driving or watch the road ahead. I would concentrate on a downloadable version for subsequent analysis.
    True story. It needs to be something that stores data rather than anything that you have to touch out on track. If you're driving a car properly hard then you don't really want to be taking your hand off the wheel to tap some buttons.
    You're so beige, you probably think this signature is about someone else.

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    If you want a data logging system (which by the sounds of things is essentially what you're after) then Motec will probably sell you a piece of kit.

MoTeC > About Data Analysis > Overview

Since what you're asking for is pretty specific info, then the sensors will have to be carried through a fairly large set of wires, so it may also be useful to also talk to them about shielding for your wiring loom as well.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Haterz gonna hate. All you negative nelliesÖ of course all anybody needs is dome display of differences in time shown somewhere on the dash to make an amateur hobby driver into a Wörld Champignon, especially when the dime difference is called 'delta'.
    In fact the use of the word , in human conversation, ya know like by PEOPLE, the use of the word 'delta' is a sure sign that it is an indispensable tool and that the distraction from the mundane task of paying critical attention to the interplay of eyes and butt g-meter, surface, line, engine, gear, traction etc will all be made up and then some by having a display of the 'deltaä of your current lap to some imaginary 'target' lap.
    Can't you guys see that everything you need to know is right there on the dash...

With that critical Delta one really can dispense with even looking outside the car, and you could lower the seat another 10+15mm for lower CG.

All you doubters, just how do you suppose all the driving greats thru the years became great_ You think they could have done it by practice and extreme mindfulness?

Ha! They probably had something like this and they just stared at the delta and that was it.

Silly bastids...8)
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat