Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Chevy team owners trying to oust Randy Bernard

So Twitter kinda blew up last night with the allegations of several full time team owners (all Chevy) trying to get RB fired. RB tweeted that this was in fact true. I think the story broke on a local Indy sports radio show and I did hear Robin Miller going into some details about it. I'd imagine this is all due to "Turbogate" and the fact that Honda took 1-2 in the 500.

I find the timing funny as RB was awarded the "STP Unsung Hero" award by Andy Granatelli just days earlier. He said RB had done more for the series in 27 months than anyone in the last 27 years.

Barfield came out with some cryptic tweets as well that night.

What say you? Is RB doing a good job or a poor one? Should he stay in or be ousted?

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Randy is doing superb job, and a fact that owners are not pleased I know he definitly is doing his job well. I hope I'm wrong on this but I smell tg and company in this.
    Keep it fast, keep it real!!!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Apparently it's 1 owner lobbying others to get him fired. Not sure who the owner is, but sources close to it say it is not Penske.

Liked 210 Times in 159 Posts
    Wonder if he's going to try to give them all $25,000 fines?

But seriously, I think Bernard has done a very good job so far, especially considering the limited resources that he apparently has at his disposal. What the owners probably want is another stooge that they can boss around. These guys aren't used to being told what to do. Let's just be honest, whether looking at CART or the IRL, this sport has been headed by complete and total goof balls for many years - which is part of what has so deeply wounded this sport: Andrew Craig, Joe Heitzler, Kevin Kalkhoven, Tony George, et al. None of them were good sports business managers or visionary leaders. And none of the upper echelon owners in Indy Car (as far as I know) have any kind of successful track record in sports business entertainment. Some/most do have a successful track record as team owners or race track owners. But when it comes to taking a series from a position of weakness to a position of growth (not just survival), I wouldn't want ANY of them calling the shots. As with CART, they'll do what's best for themselves first and what's good for the series second - and that's a big part of how we got to the lowly place that we are right now!

IMO, the Hulman-George family should let Bernard know, in no uncertain terms, that his position is safe, and he should then (in tactful way) tell Penske and all the other owners to just shut up and race!!! And if they don't like that, they can go be backmarkers in F1 or NASCAR. No other top series needs or cares about even the biggest Indy Car owners. Best that they stay where they are and try to make things better for all.
    "Every generation's memory is exactly as long as its own experience." --John Kenneth Galbraith

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by numanoid
    Apparently it's 1 owner lobbying others to get him fired. Not sure who the owner is, but sources close to it say it is not Penske.
    I would lay money on it being Ed Carpenter as his step father is still running the show and Ed Carpenter Racing(Vision Racing). He is also the one most upset that RB told the public about it ans it goes to show how much of a POS Ed Carpenter and Tony George are......
    The Only True Triple Crown Winner-- Al Unser Sr. 1978- Indy 500, Pocono 500, Ontario 500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Robin Miller posted an article that sheds a little light on things as well as look over RB's wins and areas for improvement.

Miller: The Most Repulsive Revolt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've heard it's John Barnes ..

I say keep randy fire Barnes
    Sarah Fisher..... Team owner of a future Indy500 winning car!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Here is another article on the "unrest".

Chevy teams grow restless with Bernard | Page 1 | IndyCar News | May 2012 | Crash.Net

You have to admit, no one does self-inflicted damage like IndyCar. That group doesn't mess around, they strap hand grenades to themselves.

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Robin also reported Tony George wants control. Needless to say, if that happens I'm done.
    Randy actually cares and has done a fantastic job. I say lock Barnes out of Indycar.
    Kyle Busch #18 M&M's Toyota Camry
    Dario Franchitti #10 Target Honda Dallara DW12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    So correct me if I'm wrong:

Chevy team(s) are miffed that Honda was allowed to develop a better turbo (after they went in with an inferior set-up, I assume)? I can kind of see that might be a valid complaint. Why can't Chevrolet do more development? Indycar should at least give them something. Of course there shouldn't be a tech war so soon, but give Chevy teams a little something to pacify them. Like children need to be.

Getting rid of Randy would NOT be an acceptable move. Chevy teams feel slighted so they scream and cry like children? I kind of get the feeling that team owners - all team owners - get to their position in life by being fussy. Never give a quarter BUT expect one in return.

I swear, don't they even care that they make themselves and their teams look pathetic for being so childish? Will they think that race fans can look at a Chevy logo and not think of this situation that they are trying to create?