Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    But.. Doesn't matter what you say. You can't convince them or the OP they aren't gods gift.

I do hope he does try out his karting skills.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 78 Times in 73 Posts
    pkeegs, you say you can't afford to go racing. what job or jobs do you have? There are many examples of drivers who have worked in unpleasant out of theway places like oil rigs, Alaska or Australian mines for nine months of the year to fund three months' racing. There are many examples of garage mechanics who have gone racing - being mechanics the costs of preparation and repairs have been lower than for you and me.
    I don't wish to sound brutal, but from what you have written it doesn't sound as if you are hungry enough (or should I say sufficiently committed) to succeed.

Good luck if you do make the effort.
    Duncan Rollo

The more you learn, the more you realise how little you know.

Liked 66 Times in 54 Posts
    In the UK we have Club100 Karting for advanced karters without a budget.

I was in a 40 minute kart race at Teesside on Friday. I got pole, fastest lap and the win by 20 seconds, and was faster than the course instructor. Whilst that was good for my ego I know I'm a slug against decent drivers. Normally I race against my friend who grew up karting against the likes of Oliver Turvey, Alexander Sims and Frank Wrathall, and whilst I can keep pace against him in a pro-kart, in a proper 125 kart I can't get within 0.5 of a second of him over a 50 second lap.

Moral of the story? You might feel like a driving god because you can get the tyres to squeal on your street. But there are thousands of people in the same boat of being quick but no budget.
    Tazio 14/3/2015: I'll give every member on this forum 1,000.00 USD if McLaren fails to podium this season!

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    Remember that it's not a matter of winning a few kart races then you'll get sponsored. There is only real money to be made, as in breaking even, at the very top flight and you have to pay your way there.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico
    Maybe so, but to be fair to Dave.. that is how you come across in your initial post.

With regards to your previous post that sims can not possibly come close to the real thing.. that is absolutely true but unless you do have a reasonable dissposable income its a pipe dream for a lot of us... and the next best thing is Sim racing.
    Yeah, I guess you're right on all counts, haha. In regards to the way Dave responded, I can understand having those thoughts, but I don't deserve the way he's treating me. And pertaining to sims, yeah, I may need to just use them. =/ Oh well, better than nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave B
    Oh I'm not joking.

You've told me all I need to know: you think it's acceptable to race on public roads and put others at risk. You justify it, like hundreds exactly like you, by claiming that you're special, that you're somehow gifted. There are hospitals and graveyards filled with people just like you who don't think the rules apply to them, that they can somehow rise about the mediocrity. You think you're gifted: go to a track day or a kart circuit and test yourself in controlled conditions with appropriate safety measures. Who knows, you might be right and I've just exchanged posts with the next Senna or Loeb. But don't race on public roads and expect any respect whatsoever from me.
    I know you're not joking. The laugh was a response to the sardonic tone of your post.

I don't think it's acceptable, I've said that at LEAST once in this thread. I understand that I had regularly been putting myself and, far worse, others at risk. Which is why, if you read further down, you will see that I'm all about not driving like that on public roads. I've been cutting that driving out whenever possible. It's more of an compulsion than anything else, and I mean compulsion in the strictest psychological sense; I sometimes feel irresistibly compelled to engage in that behavior. I've been forcing myself to think of the possible consequences, and it's worked to a fair extent. I've been driving more slowly, more sanely in general. I have had a few cases of pedal-to-the-metal madness, but I cut myself short in all of them, not to mention the fact that I only ever drive like that at night which would, if you knew my town, make it much less appalling. That's still not to say that it's at all okay. It's not. But don't judge me as a person based on stupid decisions I've made in the past.
    If you don't have anything constructive to say, please leave.

Quote Originally Posted by janvanvurpa
    Dave you mean old Pommie b*#!!?~~ don't you know we're all special, each unique like a snow flake, special among millions?
    Well we are all special and unique, and the boy is special. He said so.

I agree he sounds similar, no, he sounds IDENTICAL, same phrases, same justifications , same assurances same whining as hundreds of other whiney boys to the point I wonder if he is real or a computer program written to wind up motorsport fans by dropping the known key words "I race my buddies on the back roads, I know I am exceptionally fast cause i beat my friend in a Wrecks" ---(of course the mere fact that your friend is stupid, and young and has been driving maybe 2 years and thus massively inexperienced escaped your notice because you are young and stupid and inexperienced).

In fact I think the only thing worth any discussion is the eerie exact phrasing of the delusions...

Because he---and all those other boys saying they're unique---are delusional.
    This kid at 18 1/2 max never having raced anything, how do they all come up with the mistaken impression that they "exceptional"?

I wonder if Emmerson Manfalplaldi knows that far and away the No1 cause of death for boys 14-26 years old by a long shot is motor vehicle accidents.....a huge portion of which are single car---and that every one of those geniuses thought they were exceptionally good. including every one of those geniuses who killed 1-3 of their stupid friends who foolishly got in a car with them.

So the only interesting thing is :How do so many young guys become so convinced--with a total lack of any awareness or experience---that they have exception talents?
    I never said I was "special" or "unique", and I didn't even come here to argue about my skill level. However, if you want proof that I'm different from others, you could use the fact that I have an IQ of 133--99th percentile on the dot--as measured by the WAIS-IV; you could use the fact that I won the first fiddle competition I entered and can learn essentially any fiddle tune in about five minutes by ear; you can use the fact that I got an 800 on the verbal section of the SATs; you can use the fact that I learned a whole year's worth of honors chemistry in eight one-hour tutoring sessions, leading me to get a 98% on the Regents test, and only because I messed up one word--my sketch for the one question I got wrong was perfect. So at the very least I'm not stupid (I know none of that pertains directly to my driving, but it all relates in some manner or another, I can explain if you need). There's also the fact that I've never been in an accident, with the exception of one unavoidable one; I was being tailgated, it was foggy, so the road had that sort of glaze on it. I slowed down, but the tailgater didn't brake quickly enough, so he was two inches off my butt. If I'd hit the brakes any more he would have hit me, and I slid off the slick road into a guardrail, despite the fact that at the time I was going ten below the speed limit, even with the restriction on my braking imposed by the fleeing a****** tailgater. I'm not saying I'm above the probabilities. I'm saying that I made the stupid, impulsive decision to not care. I'm aware I'm lucky I haven't paid a price for it.

By the way, my friends have all been driving far longer than I, and own cars that a ten-year-old should be able to be a Honda Accord in.

So get off your pedestal. You're being unnecessarily nasty. Yes, my introductory post made me sound like a dangerous douchebag, but I'm here for that reason. I know I can't drive like that on the roads. I know I don't know everything about racing. I know racing costs money, but I'm still hoping to find a form that I can afford. I'm here to try to find a way to channel my impulses and my passion in a way that's not dangerous to others, though it will still be just as dangerous to me if I'm as lacking in skill as you think I am. And you know what? I accept that.

All of your points could have been proven in a more polite manner. I find it ironic that you say I'm "18 1/2 max", when I'm 20 and acting more mature than you. Also, you compare me in a sarcastic remark to "those geniuses"... The difference between those people and I is that I actually do qualify as a genius. Furthermore, you put things in quotation marks that I never actually said. I'm completely positive I never used the word "buddies", and I never described myself as "exceptional". A paraphrase is not a quote.

To clarify to everyone on this thread, most of the point I was trying to prove in describing my skills as they are today was to demonstrate where I'm at in my development of the understanding of simply controlling a vehicle under duress, whether it be in a street race or in self-imposed time trials. I'll admit that I was also bragging a bit, as I find my experiences in that car amazing. What I was NOT attempting to say, however, by any means, is that I'm going to get on the track and immediately start winning races. I understand that there are things about racing I don't know, and things which need to be experienced on the track, wheel-to-wheel, to be learned. What I know is how to get my car to go exactly where I want it to go at speeds I know most non-racers wouldn't be able to handle it at. That description is to provide a benchmark of where I'm at in my unusual learning curve, to allow people to better consider my situation should they choose to contribute some advice or piece of wisdom. Should you disrespect me for my past indiscretions, please leave; if you don't respect someone, there's no point wasting your time on them anyway.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    Remember that it's not a matter of winning a few kart races then you'll get sponsored. There is only real money to be made, as in breaking even, at the very top flight and you have to pay your way there.
    Yeah, I know. My income situation isn't forever. I just figure that if I can get a jumpstart on my skills, then the journey will be that much shorter when I can actually pay my way to the higher levels.

Liked 100 Times in 76 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pkeegs
    YHowever, if you want proof that I'm different from others, you could use the fact that I have an IQ of 133--99th percentile on the dot--as measured by the WAIS-IV; you could use the fact that I won the first fiddle competition I entered and can learn essentially any fiddle tune in about five minutes by ear; you can use the fact that I got an 800 on the verbal section of the SATs; you can use the fact that I learned a whole year's worth of honors chemistry in eight one-hour tutoring sessions, leading me to get a 98% on the Regents test, and only because I messed up one word--my sketch for the one question I got wrong was perfect. So at the very least I'm not stupid (I know none of that pertains directly to my driving, but it all relates in some manner or another, I can explain if you need). There's also the fact that I've never been in an accident, with the exception of one unavoidable one; I was being tailgated, it was foggy, so the road had that sort of glaze on it.
    I find it ironic that you say I'm "18 1/2 max", when I'm 20 and acting more mature than you. Also, you compare me in a sarcastic remark to "those geniuses"... The difference between those people and I is that I actually do qualify as a genius. Furthermore, you put things in quotation marks that I never actually said. I'm completely positive I never used the word "buddies", and I never described myself as "exceptional". A paraphrase is not a quote.
    Wow. I think, good sir, you really should seek professional mental help for your narcissism. You will not get anywhere in life talking to people in this way; or telling them how special you are - which is what you have been doing since your very first post.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    But.. Doesn't matter what you say. You can't convince them or the OP they aren't gods gift.

I do hope he does try out his karting skills.
    I'm sorry that's how I'm coming across. My self-esteem is actually quite low.

And I will. I need to at least know how I measure up to other racers, even if I can't actually go karting regularly.

Quote Originally Posted by D-Type
    pkeegs, you say you can't afford to go racing. what job or jobs do you have? There are many examples of drivers who have worked in unpleasant out of theway places like oil rigs, Alaska or Australian mines for nine months of the year to fund three months' racing. There are many examples of garage mechanics who have gone racing - being mechanics the costs of preparation and repairs have been lower than for you and me.
    I don't wish to sound brutal, but from what you have written it doesn't sound as if you are hungry enough (or should I say sufficiently committed) to succeed.

Good luck if you do make the effort.
    Sadly, the only job I have at the moment is on and off at a theatre. It doesn't pay much, and with the irregularity, I need to save as much as I can. I've been thinking of going to an automotive trade school though, thinking along the lines of less money spent on having work done on the car.
    I may not be sufficiently committed, but I sure as hell am going to try as hard as I can tolerate before I give up, haha.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by Starter
    There are a fair amount of track days available to you. Closest to you is probably New Jersey Motorsport Part near Millville. Other tracks host them too. Also, check out the Sports Car Club of America (SCCA) website. That'll direct you to the local SCCA Region where more info will be available. You may want to think about joining. Autocrossing is another way to get some experience on the cheap. SCCA and other clubs host them all the time. Seat time in Karts is cheap and you should find a number within a reasonable distance.
    Thanks, I'll take all that into account. I've checked out SCCA; the thing is, the only car I have access to is my grandmother's, and I'm not allowed to take it autocrossing. But I'll check out New Jersey Motorsports Park, I may be able to get there at some point on some other premise. And alright, I'll check around for some kart clubs near me.

Again, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Brown, Jon Brow
    In the UK we have Club100 Karting for advanced karters without a budget.

I was in a 40 minute kart race at Teesside on Friday. I got pole, fastest lap and the win by 20 seconds, and was faster than the course instructor. Whilst that was good for my ego I know I'm a slug against decent drivers. Normally I race against my friend who grew up karting against the likes of Oliver Turvey, Alexander Sims and Frank Wrathall, and whilst I can keep pace against him in a pro-kart, in a proper 125 kart I can't get within 0.5 of a second of him over a 50 second lap.

Moral of the story? You might feel like a driving god because you can get the tyres to squeal on your street. But there are thousands of people in the same boat of being quick but no budget.
    Point taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Koz
    Wow. I think, good sir, you really should seek professional mental help for your narcissism. You will not get anywhere in life talking to people in this way; or telling them how special you are - which is what you have been doing since your very first post.
    I've said, more than once, that I'm aware that my first post was not a good introduction. However, the douchebaggery in my subsequent posts is how I respond to being talked down to. The way I'm talking to janvanvurpa is a direct result of the way he talks to me. Someone disrespects me, I disrespect them. And hell, if I get an opportunity to expound on my best traits while I'm doing it, I will. It's generally very effective at hitting people who act like that right where it hurts. (I realize it may seem like I'm assuming I know what he's like, which is one of the reasons I got pissed off in the first place, but I'm simply noting a trend. When I talk the way I was talking to people who talk the way he was talking, it generally has the effect I want it to.)

I know I'm no better than anyone else. I can even act like a totally awful person sometimes. I'm nearly mentally retarded in some respects, and I can't run further than 100 yards or so. I smoke, I sometimes drink to excess, I make rude jokes, and my bedroom is a pigsty. I can't skateboard, no matter how hard I try to learn. I'm slightly crazy, most of the time, and not always in an entertaining way. My memory is nil, I have a high temper, I can sometimes be irrational, and my hygiene is occasionally a bit iffy. And I could make this list longer. Hearkening to Mark's post at the top of page 2, I know I'm not God's gift to the world. But I'm not going to sit idly by while people throw insults at me.

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Koz
    Actually he sounds exactly like the majority of white middle of middle class and up boys, and virtually 100% of boys from higher income backgrounds. That's why i said to Dave its so interesting the sameness in every detail.
    So if this kid needs mental help, so does nearly every other American--and many of our neighbors to the North as well, needs help.

I still don't think this is stuff is real. It's too cliched.. I think its a clever ploy by somebody with big humor.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat

Liked 558 Times in 295 Posts
    If you are real PKeegs listen up and quyit your childish simpering and whining.
    The way you first talked to the whole world was insulting to everybody.
    It is especially insulting to anybody who raced ever
    And extra insulting to somebody who made choices and compromised life and everything to race from 14 years to mid 40s---and still prepares cars, builds custom race car parts and co-drives in rallies at fifty-fawkin-nine.
    You insulted the whole world with your arrogance but worse you spat in every persons face with your stupid reckless antics on public roads.

Do you understand that YOUR WORDS were insulting? And your actions you reported contemptible?

You're a genius.?? Then why did you not figue the above out?
    No, you passed a silly test at a desk, you are a sociopath showing outrageous indifference to the potential result of your actions.
    Your words and actions are deplorable, and all we know of you is what you have written and how you wrote when you came here.

You receive treatment exactly has you treated others.
    You brag about your contempt for everybody, and yet you sniffle and whine when you get back the same contempt.

I am not a douschbag.

I'm somebody with friends and acquaintances on the same roads that mental midgets with testicular maldevelopments endanger.

That is assuming you are real which I really don't believe.
    John Vanlandingham
    Sleezattle WA, USA
    Vive le Prole-le-ralliat