Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    How does that impact your life?
    Do you suppose that if a major currency collapses it wouldn't have ramifications beyond Europe's borders?
    Useful F1 Twitter thingy: http://goo.gl/6PO1u

Liked 137 Times in 110 Posts
    IMO people are talking too easy about the 'the imminent death of the euro'. You'd get the impression it can happen just like that. Tomorrow people will just go to the bank and change their euros for marks, francs, shillings etc... and euro's gone.

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben
    IMO people are talking too easy about the 'the imminent death of the euro'.
    Yep, it's just wishful thinking.
    Michael Schumacher The Best Ever F1 Driver
    Everything I post is my own opinion and I\'ll always try to back it up! :)
    They need us: http://www.ursusarctos.ro

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Ben
    IMO people are talking too easy about the 'the imminent death of the euro'. You'd get the impression it can happen just like that. Tomorrow people will just go to the bank and change their euros for marks, francs, shillings etc... and euro's gone.
    That's just the thing isn't it? With modern electronic Real-Time-Gross-Settlement markets software, in theory you could be trading French Francs, German Deutsche Mark, Austrian Schillings, Italian Lira, or even Syldavian Khôr, along side the Euro even though no physical currency exists. Heck the Euro itself was traded for three years before the general public ever got to hold one.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Admin
    Liked 125 Times in 92 Posts
    I think if any country were to leave the Euro they wouldn't go back to their previous currency. They'd more likely create a new one, with Euros being exchanged 1=1 for the new currency, so there would be no need for mass re-pricing. They'd likely change the bank notes, but not the coins - as changing all the vending machines would be too costly.
    Please 'like' our facebook page http://www.facebook.com/motorsportforums

Liked 36 Times in 29 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ioan
    I suggest we all wish good luck, lots of it to the French people especially to those who voted this guy.
    They are going to need it, but they deserve what they get for voting for this left-wing loon.
    "signature room for rent"

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts

Liked 201 Times in 155 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry Walker
    They are going to need it, but they deserve what they get for voting for this left-wing loon.
    So called "left-wing loons" have left France with a train system in which some trains are capable of doing 500km/h, a motorway network of which the quality of roads is better than the UK or the US, a public health system which provides relatively open access and reasonably low costs and three largish viable car brands.

On the other hand, the right-wing sensible governments in the UK have had MPs rort the system for private expenses and a inquiry which may or may not suggest that the government was passing on information to private media outlets.
    The Old Republic was a stupidly run organisation which deserved to be taken over. All Hail Palpatine!

Liked 77 Times in 62 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark
    I think if any country were to leave the Euro they wouldn't go back to their previous currency. They'd more likely create a new one, with Euros being exchanged 1=1 for the new currency, so there would be no need for mass re-pricing. They'd likely change the bank notes, but not the coins - as changing all the vending machines would be too costly.
    Exactly. And I would suspect that 'Euro' would in some way be part of the name in most cases, eg the 'Greek Euro' or something.

Liked 50 Times in 33 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by BDunnell
    Exactly. And I would suspect that 'Euro' would in some way be part of the name in most cases, eg the 'Greek Euro' or something.
    I think that would depend on the circumstances.

If Greece has an orderly withdrawal from the Euro, given the strength of feeling there towards the whole episode they may want as little reference to the Euro as possible even though their currency will probably be pegged to it for some time.

Worst case scenario is that the markets lose confidence entirely in the Euro, its value drops by more than 20% or so resulting in massive inflation across the Eurozone and an economic collapse. In that case I can see countries either rushing or being forced to leave very quickly. If that happens I have no idea how the new currencies will be established.