Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by JovialJooles
    You don't need COT to improve safety. The Safer barriers and HANS have already made NASCAR much safer. Side impact issues could have been addressed with the original car.

Speed - we have restrictor plates for that. How long is it going to be before they have clawed back the speed anyway?

Cost - maybe long term, but short term definitely not. Also, as the tolerances are finer on the COT, how long is it before cars don't pass inspection? Biffle has already lost his car until later in the week, not great preparation for Martinsville.

Style - none.

They should have called it Car for a Blind Alley.

Ho hum.
    Side impacts could not have been addressed with the CoY. There was not enough room between the sheet metal and the cage for there to be the impact foam that exists in the CoT.

You can't rely on restrictor plates for lowering speed everywhere. Why? Look at New Hampshire when Burton lead all the laps when they ran the restrictor plates out of fear that there would be another fatal crash there. Most boring race in the world.

The cost may be higher right now for both reasons that they need to produce two kinds of cars as well as they're still making CoTs, but it's not that much of a difference to the major teams. It's already helping lower costs for the smaller teams, I guarantee it.

There is style to it - a more realistic stock car style. Do you see cars on the street that the majority of people drive that were as sleek as the CoY? I don't think so. The CoT looks much more like a regular street car.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by dont_be_jack
    The CoT looks much more like a regular street car.
    Yeah, but if it looked like the ACTUAL street cars, that would be great.

In this picture there are two Chevys, one Ford, and one Dodge.

Can you tell which is the Ford and/or which is the Dodge?

I still think the stock bodywork would make for close racing.

And I think NASCAR would like to lower the horsepower numbers across the board.
    racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    And I'll put up the Monte Carlo now because I can't use six images in one post.

racing-reference.info/showblog?id=1785
    9 Simple Rules as Suggested by a Nerd

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Where did you get the "full second slower" number?

Homework lesson!

During the single qualifying session held last season at Bristol, Kurt Busch got the pole by running a 124.906mph lap. This season, the pole was 125.453mph.

That... thats about a tenth faster. Practice times in race trim were around 1mph faster last season, but with much cooler temperatures compared to this year, the track was obviously much faster.

When we go to Martinsville, you'll see that the cars are just as fast on these tracks.

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by POS_Maggott
    Where did you get the "full second slower" number?

Homework lesson!

During the single qualifying session held last season at Bristol, Kurt Busch got the pole by running a 124.906mph lap. This season, the pole was 125.453mph.

That... thats about a tenth faster. Practice times in race trim were around 1mph faster last season, but with much cooler temperatures compared to this year, the track was obviously much faster.

When we go to Martinsville, you'll see that the cars are just as fast on these tracks.

I think he was probably comparing it to the track record which was set
    by Ryan Newman on 3/21/2003 which was a 14.908 sec @ 128.709 mph
    #4 2014 Sprint Cup Champion, 2007 Daytona 500,2003 Brickyard 400,2x Coke 600,2014 Southern 500 Champ: 962 starts,90 wins, 345 T5s, 544 T10s, 44 poles, 2x NNS champ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NASCAR8
    The cars were a full second SLOWER per lap
    I thought that was the point...

How about issues with the front splitter cutting tyres down?
    If its got breasts or an engine, its gonna cost you...

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by slorydn1
    I think he was probably comparing it to the track record which was set
    by Ryan Newman on 3/21/2003 which was a 14.908 sec @ 128.709 mph
    Even if you can count that, then its only 4 tenths slower. Essentially, since the track record hasnt been broken in 4 years, we can see that all the cars since then have been slower.

So really, that argument isnt valid any way that you look at it, it just doesnt make sense.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    they will break the track record possibly next year, as long as they don't take any banking out
    Brian France is a violation of Section 12-1 (actions detrimental to stock car racing)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by harvick#1
    they will break the track record possibly next year, as long as they don't take any banking out
    Well, they should be closer to it as they learn what little tricks they can pull with the new car.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Concerned...!!

Quote Originally Posted by Abo
    I thought that was the point...

How about issues with the front splitter cutting tyres down?
    That is my BIGGEST concern, imagine that on a track like Dega or Daytona....Brrrrrr Doesn't bear thinking about.

IMHO - Loose the rear wing and they are not as bad as I first thought.

RW
    Go Jeff.....!!!!!
    If I am behind you I am not tailgaiting, I am DRAFTING :hot: